pilotman

Finally here....

Rate this topic

70 posts in this topic

Finally! :beers:Just got down late yesterday. Weather was awesome. Staying in a small oceanfront cottage(literally) in Buxton until tomorrow when we will transfer to a beach house for the rest of the week. Had a bonfire on the beach to celebrate our return. Super cool family joined us in celebration. Today the weather turned pretty nasty. 20-25mph winds at least. Went to ramp 43 and caught pompanos, sea mullet and a foot long cobia? Weird but fun. Went to the Point at sunset and saw some of the usual suspects but they were all leaving bc of the nasty weather. But I stayed since it was my first outing. A few hooked up to sharks and then so did I. 50ish pounder. And that was it. Packed up and left.  I hate sharks. Their fight is so much stronger than Drum. I'm not gonna bruise my crotch area for sharks this early. 

IMG_20201002_144219.jpg

IMG_20201002_205551.jpg

Thursday morning wife and I tried to get on the ferry to Ocracoke but we didn't want to do the 3 hr wait so we parked at 55 and walked 1.75 miles to the Hatteras Inlet. Gorgeous weather. Talked to a lot of surf fisherman along the way. Looked like a lot of them had their rigs out of the water and were just enjoying the sunshine at low tide. One of the guys mentioned a tiny cobia being caught. By the time we arrived at the inlet folks were wading out and casting to deeper water. A couple of shallow draft boats were beached and some guys said they had caught a few specks in the sound and a little while later 3 red drum in the inlet. The bite turned on and off like a light switch. We found a lot of nice shells down where the beach ends....plus a branch that had washed up with a tangle of fishing line and one of the weirdest  metal lures I've ever seen in my 30 plus years of surf fishing....I'll post it later on your thread. We are cleaning up the house here in Avon and preparing to head home. Best to you and family Pilotman...I know if there are fish out there you'll find them. Have a great time with that Excursion 5 when the wind dies down!

1 hour ago, dixiekraut said:

Thursday morning wife and I tried to get on the ferry to Ocracoke but we didn't want to do the 3 hr wait so we parked at 55 and walked 1.75 miles to the Hatteras Inlet. Gorgeous weather. Talked to a lot of surf fisherman along the way. Looked like a lot of them had their rigs out of the water and were just enjoying the sunshine at low tide. One of the guys mentioned a tiny cobia being caught. By the time we arrived at the inlet folks were wading out and casting to deeper water. A couple of shallow draft boats were beached and some guys said they had caught a few specks in the sound and a little while later 3 red drum in the inlet. The bite turned on and off like a light switch. We found a lot of nice shells down where the beach ends....plus a branch that had washed up with a tangle of fishing line and one of the weirdest  metal lures I've ever seen in my 30 plus years of surf fishing....I'll post it later on your thread. We are cleaning up the house here in Avon and preparing to head home. Best to you and family Pilotman...I know if there are fish out there you'll find them. Have a great time with that Excursion 5 when the wind dies down!

Thanks Dixie, it looks like you are leaving at the right time. It looks like N, NE winds for the rest of our trip.:thdwn: The Drum didn't like it last night at the Point. We're packing up too to move to our beach house for the week. The guy in the pic is catching 2-3lb Bluefish as I type. But I'm too busy packing. There will be a lot of packing and unpacking for us today. Really looking forward to finally taking the Excursion 5 out. Hopefully on a warmer day next week. Hope you had a great vacation!

IMG_20201003_095353.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Yes we did ! First day Sunday we woke up to fog so thick we couldn't see the lighthouse. We went down to one of your "go to" spots past the old jetty tossing paddletail jigs, wind was almost non existant, water was reasonably clear... but no connnections. Stopped at Orange Blossom for breakfast and went back to Avon to try the surf there in front of the house. It was very active for three days Sunday, Monday, Tuesday....a gazillion pompano, some sea mullet ( a nice 14 incher ) and this one guy fishing about 20 yds north of me scored a slot red every day on light tackle ...22 to 23 in. ( Some guys are blessed with exceptional skills or good fish karma. ) Weather was so nice and sunny the beginning of the week there were throngs of sun bathers, surfers, boogie boarders, kite flyers, dog walkers. I usually surf fish Buxton in late Nov. so dealing with summertime type fishing was a bit of a work around for me. Tuesday the rain and wind literally blew me off the beach mid day and we had a west wind develop that muddied the surf Wed AM  but strangely it recovered quickly at sunset when my brother and I had a mini snapper blue blitz...we limited out throwing back the small ones. I scored two 15 in blues. That was about it for me ....Thursday my wife and I did the Hatteras Inlet walk from 55  while brother Jim continued to nail the snapper blues. That's when the light west wind intensified and swung around to the North West putting a kabosh on the whole thing. We caught two tiny rays and one more blue on Friday afternoon and that was it. All in all a fun trip. I always learn a new thing or two on these expeditions. Can't wait for the next one. 

Edited by dixiekraut

11 hours ago, pilotman said:

Thanks Dixie, it looks like you are leaving at the right time. It looks like N, NE winds for the rest of our trip.:thdwn: The Drum didn't like it last night at the Point. We're packing up too to move to our beach house for the week. The guy in the pic is catching 2-3lb Bluefish as I type. But I'm too busy packing. There will be a lot of packing and unpacking for us today. Really looking forward to finally taking the Excursion 5 out. Hopefully on a warmer day next week. Hope you had a great vacation!

IMG_20201003_095353.jpg

You there at the Cape Hatteras Motel? Looks like it.

Dixie I caught one of those fish in the top photo, I had absolutely no idea what it was....

a small Cobia? Wow.

On 10/3/2020 at 5:32 PM, dixiekraut said:

Yes we did ! First day Sunday we woke up to fog so thick we couldn't see the lighthouse. We went down to one of your "go to" spots past the old jetty tossing paddletail jigs, wind was almost non existant, water was reasonably clear... but no connnections. Stopped at Orange Blossom for breakfast and went back to Avon to try the surf there in front of the house. It was very active for three days Sunday, Monday, Tuesday....a gazillion pompano, some sea mullet ( a nice 14 incher ) and this one guy fishing about 20 yds north of me scored a slot red every day on light tackle ...22 to 23 in. ( Some guys are blessed with exceptional skills or good fish karma. ) Weather was so nice and sunny the beginning of the week there were throngs of sun bathers, surfers, boogie boarders, kite flyers, dog walkers. I usually surf fish Buxton in late Nov. so dealing with summertime type fishing was a bit of a work around for me. Tuesday the rain and wind literally blew me off the beach mid day and we had a west wind develop that muddied the surf Wed AM  but strangely it recovered quickly at sunset when my brother and I had a mini snapper blue blitz...we limited out throwing back the small ones. I scored two 15 in blues. That was about it for me ....Thursday my wife and I did the Hatteras Inlet walk from 55  while brother Jim continued to nail the snapper blues. That's when the light west wind intensified and swung around to the North West putting a kabosh on the whole thing. We caught two tiny rays and one more blue on Friday afternoon and that was it. All in all a fun trip. I always learn a new thing or two on these expeditions. Can't wait for the next one. 

That's a heck of a hike Dixie. You guys must be in great shape. Glad the weather was nice for you. The day we came down was the nicest. 75 and no wind. Since then the weather has been crappy. Constant north winds. Everyone on the beach is wearing a jacket or coat bc it's cold and windy. Today has been cold and rain all day. At least it's NFL Sunday. We cooked up the fish we caught for the games. And the family next to us gave us a 5 gallon bucket full of fresh clams they caught a couple days ago. Sheesh...that was awfully nice of them. Thank you soooo much! In a time of so much unrest and divide in in our country, its great meeting genuinely good people. And yes those are sandfleas in the pic.It's becoming a ritual for us on our trips. Those things are yummy...like shrimp popcorns. 

1.jpg

20 hours ago, Retainer said:

You there at the Cape Hatteras Motel? Looks like it.

Close, it's their next door neighbor Outerbanks Motel. Great location but considering what we paid for 2 days, they really need to renovate. Like a properly working toilet, and replacing their failing vanity from the 70s.

pilotman- on the sandfleas, are you doing anything special to them other than just batter and fry? Been curious about them but haven't tried them yet.

BTW- fresh finger mullet is also very good (assuming that you like sardines or other bait fish type foods).

Now wait a minute, you guys are eating sand fleas and finger mullet??

my wife would be ordering next to catch her some real fish for dinner! Or a restaurant. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, pilotman said:

That's a heck of a hike Dixie. You guys must be in great shape. Glad the weather was nice for you. The day we came down was the nicest. 75 and no wind. Since then the weather has been crappy. Constant north winds. Everyone on the beach is wearing a jacket or coat bc it's cold and windy. Today has been cold and rain all day. At least it's NFL Sunday. We cooked up the fish we caught for the games. And the family next to us gave us a 5 gallon bucket full of fresh clams they caught a couple days ago. Sheesh...that was awfully nice of them. Thank you soooo much! In a time of so much unrest and divide in in our country, its great meeting genuinely good people. And yes those are sandfleas in the pic.It's becoming a ritual for us on our trips. Those things are yummy...like shrimp popcorns. 

1.jpg

Now that's a great looking dinner table! A good cold beer is the only other thing ya need ( or a classic white vino. ) Speak'in of beer...on the way down we stopped at the Nags Head Cafe for a quick lunch and discovered a Pennsylvania micro brew called Golden Monkey....9.5 alcohol content. Put my father-in-law into La La Land.

Edited by dixiekraut

Just came back from the Point. Fished 8 to 10. Just 3 trucks out there. Nothing else to do after the games so grabbed my rain gear and headed out. Wind was not a problem. Sharks everywhere again. Fished different locations trying to avoid them. Close, far, straight into the washing machine. Had 4 straight cut offs after short fights. But landed the 5th one. 90-100lbs. Didn't have my phone on me so no pic. Thanks to the guy with his son that helped me land it. He might have injured his wrist dragging it up the beach by the tail.:thumbd: Should have left after the second cut off.....

4 hours ago, BLilly said:

pilotman- on the sandfleas, are you doing anything special to them other than just batter and fry? Been curious about them but haven't tried them yet.

BTW- fresh finger mullet is also very good (assuming that you like sardines or other bait fish type foods).

I know BLilly, It took me 2 decades to finally muster up the nerves to try sandfleas. I purge them in fresh water for 10 minutes. Dry them off and coat them with one egg. Then House Autrey Seafood mix. Finger mullet? Never tried....How the heck...please indulge me. I'll try anything once.:)