luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - October 2020

Rate this topic

67 posts in this topic

Those deep ruts gave my truck a workout just going to 27km with the camper on the back, if I go to the line I might overheat!

Tuesday...what a beautiful Indian summer day. Bluebird sky and light breeze made for a great fall day on beach. Fishing was fair, we caught several kingfish for a couple dinners. Also caught snapper blues, spot, undersize flounder and blowfish. The two big rods with live spot only drew the attention of bluefish...

IMG_20201006_163425_532.jpg

On 10/6/2020 at 1:20 PM, spinr0k said:

Those deep ruts gave my truck a workout just going to 27km with the camper on the back, if I go to the line I might overheat!

Air down more.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Coleman Clan in the Coleman hole.  Sweet

Hope Mike cooked his famous breakfast but of course with a Coleman stove.

Edited by Critter Gitter

Fished the past two Wednesdays and was able to get one both times.

Both toward the end of low tide, the first on a spot head the 2nd on a kingfish chunk.

20200930_124755.jpg

20201006_215722.jpg

5 hours ago, Critter Gitter said:

Coleman Clan in the Coleman hole.  Sweet

Hope Mike cooked his famous breakfast but of course with a Coleman stove.

Breakfast sandwiches from the stove this morning. We were very busy around 8am. That stove definitely has some miles on it. 

Edited by 7nBait

Just to add to Steve's report. Friday was nice but Saturday looked better for drum.

Overcast with steady SW wind. Better bait this trip.

Good to see my Dad ( knee issue's and Steve holding his drum ) and Uncle get in to them. Here are some more pics..

IMG_20201010_074851098.jpg

IMG_20201010_075407273.jpg

IMG_20201010_082414926.jpg

IMG_20201010_082907132.jpg

IMG_20201010_082943815.jpg

Edited by 7nBait

Was able to get to the beach after a year. Fished the short beach Monday, just sharks. Tuesday the beach opened and I went south. Found a spot that held some fish. Only caught on evening/ early night low tide. 

Two drum landed Tuesday evening.

One drum landed and one lost in the wash Wednesday evening.

Not sure why nothing happened on the early morning low tides.

Pretty certain I know why I only caught on the low. I couldn't hit the spot during high.

Tuesday night and Wednesday I needed 10 to hold.

A funny thing happened. My phone updated and I didn't realize I needed to restart it. Had no cell service because of it. Sent the wife texts to check in only to find out later they never went thru. Wife was worried and panicked she didn't hear from me. 

She called her sister who lives on the shore. They couldn't get anyone at the ranger station on the phone so SIL called a retired ranger friend who called someone working at the station. They sent a ranger out looking for me. 

Ranger found me and called SIL. Wife was pretty pissed haha!

DSCN1030.JPG

Good seeing you Phil. 

Funny, we were fishing about 4km apart but I never had to go above 7oz. with heads. I know the structure is different, but that’s something to remember. 

drum like current.... conditions can be great above sea level, but i think some waves/current help.  or at least give me something to look for and cast too LOL.

you make it back to the mountains CJ?

1 hour ago, luckyOC said:

you make it back to the mountains CJ?

Safe and sound....

Fished 10 days, surprisingly I have more energy now than when I started the trip.

The goal this fall was to try and get my two kids on a drum, 11 yr old girl and 13  yr old boy. Last weekend with my son we got covered up by small sharks for two days but had fun with a few bigger thoothies and a bunch of small stuff. This weekend with the 11 year old and the beach opened up things looks great. Saturday afternoon finally hooked what we were hoping for. Unfortunately I did not have a good plan and it quickly turned into chaos. Trying to help her level the line and not drop the tip on a 13 ft rod was hard enough and then we got fouled in another rods line that I struggled to clear. Fought the fish in tight only to have my shock knot fail (crotch break in my main line loop). The worst part was how bad she felt because she felt she did something wrong. I certainly didn’t help matters with my frustration with my mistakes. 

All in all two good trips but one I wish I could have back.