luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - October 2020

Rate this topic

74 posts in this topic

As always, this is the place for your reports... as little or as much detail as you care to share, with hopefully a good bit less focus posted on exact spots, times, and locations. Any and all word from the local waters welcome here, and "no fish" reports are welcome as well; always good to have gotten out there at least, wasn't it? 

;)

May the fishing continue and the beach open...

The last two days have been good in the back bays for small trout.  Had 50+ of them and only one keeper out of the bunch.  Also one redfish and quite a few lizardfish.  Places that traditionally held rockfish this time of year are now void of rock and just have small trout.

5 hours ago, krabill said:

The last two days have been good in the back bays for small trout.  Had 50+ of them and only one keeper out of the bunch.  Also one redfish and quite a few lizardfish.  Places that traditionally held rockfish this time of year are now void of rock and just have small trout.

Interesting.  Was there a difference in the prevalent bait around?  

12 hours ago, Stryper Snyper said:

Interesting.  Was there a difference in the prevalent bait around?  

Mullet are still around thick.  I guess the water is just not as cold as it used to be this time of year?  Had 72 degrees still yesterday.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Turtles still hatching. Earliest opening of Md. OSV past 28 is Tuesday but more likely by Friday..... maybe

Edited by Catskill John

7 hours ago, krabill said:

Mullet are still around thick.  I guess the water is just not as cold as it used to be this time of year?  Had 72 degrees still yesterday.

Hopefully they hang around for another week or so. We come back down in a week and was starting to get worried whether bait was going to still be around with the cooler temps.

Great trip.  Little rough Monday night.  Thought I was gonna end up in Kansas Tues morning.  Got my PB Slob Channel Bass 51in by 34in Monday afternoon on strong South winds and one more at 46 Wed sunrise.  What an epic fight it was.  Frederic got a 33 and 48 fattie at 0:dark 30 Friday.   Great to see friends.

Another highlight was the half bushel of crabs we brought to the beach.  Pretty hard to get them in Ohio.  Not a whole lot of salt water in these parts.

FISH ON!

Plenty of people were out fishing this weekend especially down by 27km, hope they did better than I did.  Couldn't keep the blues off my bait, lost a few rigs to some toothy fish.

I fished Thursday and Friday. Three sharks, two croaker, and one bluefish.  I would have been psyched to get covered up with blues.  I made the mistake of settling on frozen mullet for bait.  I’ll know better next time. 

Water was down to 68 seaside and 66.5 bayside yesterday.  Pups on both sides, more specks seaside vs bayside for me.  Still not seeing rock in any numbers seaside but plenty of them in the mouths of rivers in the Chesapeake.  All light tackle casting.

original_78d56693-b8b7-41c8-933b-1b40d982cdb9_PXL_20201005_195319678.jpg

12 mins ago, Catskill John said:

Md. OSV open to line 

Cool, you hear that from the rangers?  I haven't seen that posted anywhere else yet. The turtles lived up to their reputation.

38 mins ago, spinr0k said:

Cool, you hear that from the rangers?  I haven't seen that posted anywhere else yet. The turtles lived up to their reputation.

Capture.JPG.c247a0d917478f6ad13d48336b668c1d.JPG