Robz

A Day on Sydney Harbour

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

On 10/2/2020 at 2:09 AM, Robz said:

A fabulous session on Sydney Harbour catching Kahawai or Australian Salmon on mini Candies.

My Son and his wife live in Strawberry Hills. He is a deep water Sailor and seldom 

Fishes. When he comes Stateside we fish Cape Cod, MA and the NJ Shore. He worked in Sydney,

over 20 years for Hamburg Sud Container Shipping Company.    

I'll text him the Clear Candy Flys

"Australian Salmon on Clear Candy Fly's on utube"

If you are DH Send me your location and phone number thru the Personal Massage PM on SOL.

Hey Pokie,

for a harbour on a major city the fishing can be great. The best guide to use is Justin Duggan. He really knows this system backwards and regularly puts his clients onto some big Kingfish. Check out his facebook page

2 hours ago, pokie said:

Justin was the one I contacted. He just seemed to miss my FB messenger chat. He did get back to...3 weeks after my trip. Oh well, next time!!

I tried several times to book Justin too, he never got back to me.

I found a captain named Stephen Gaynor, Flyboat fishing charters. He responded very quickly and I fished with him two days. He was very good, worked hard to put me on a lot of fish.

king_6.jpg

26 mins ago, DAQ said:

I tried several times to book Justin too, he never got back to me.

I found a captain named Stephen Gaynor, Flyboat fishing charters. He responded very quickly and I fished with him two days. He was very good, worked hard to put me on a lot of fish.

king_6.jpg

Great, I'll have to contact Mr. Gaynor next time I'm in the area. Thanks for the info!

I know him. Often see him on the water. Definitely knows his stuff. Nice Kingfish!! What fly was used? 

I use essentially 4 patterns in Sydney harbour for the greater part of my fishing. Mini Candy clear size 10 0r 8. Flexi squid in either orange or tan. A variation of Rupert Harvey's garfish. My version is much slimmer and around the 4 to 5 inch mark. Orange and fluoro green work best and for popping either Bob's Banger or Crease-flies. My buddy Dave Hackett ties commercially and his Crease Flies are works of art that produce lots of fish. All our fishing is on surface feeding fish, so add clousers if you feel like dredging the depths

Another great guide is a guy we call Red Beard for obvious reasons. Can't recall his name. Here is a vid from youtube of his. A lot of this water will be very familiar to you