UncleJohn

October 2020 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

1,664 posts in this topic

23 mins ago, Allejo said:

Three hours seems to be my magic number to be functioning regularly. 1.5 hours gets me through the day barely. A half hour gets me home safe but I'm might as well be a vegetable. I have found that 1,5 hour intervals has me feeling better than say two hours or four hours. I think it's a sleep cycle thing. 

Usually it depends on your diet. The heavier you eat, the more time digestion takes, the more sleep you need. If you plan on sleeping less one night, skip dinner that night and notice how you can do with much less sleep. The second factor is how tired you are the day before if your body needs more time to recover, again, need more sleep. It can be fine-tuned if you plan it well. Experiment with it and you will be surprised. 

50 mins ago, daves745t said:

What kind of phone do you have?  Seems like it takes a beating and keeps on taking great pics.  I don't know of any phones that survive multiple dunks in the salt, so I'd love to know what you're using.

This question isn't pointed at me, but just butting in, I have a Samsung S8 Plus and have dropped it in water many times, it is almost waterproof up to a certain depth. 

Update on Teasers:

Thanks for recommending @NJTramcar Ordered some from him, found some in my tackle box, tied some dropper knots, ready to test it out tonight. 

2-4 this eve. Back.. fish are gettin bigger. id put them both at 27 to 29 inch range. Missed a couple decent ones. Felt like cow weather. That mist, east wind, cool air sometimes brings em out. 

Been driving an hour north for the past few weekends to fish out front and haven’t even gotten a tap.  Drove 5 minutes from home out back from 6:15-7 and was able to get skunk smell off.  They were rats but I caught 4 and dropped 2.  I won’t humor you with photos of them.  

I fished in the back NoMoCo near the top of the tide and a bit of the outgoing.  Spearing were everywhere you looked.  Seen a bunch of micro bass crashing them in the skinny water.  Some pods of adult bunker nearby too

I hit a better fish, 33 inches,  on a pencil popper.  I wish I had a photo but after measuring the fish it went nuts, spit the barbless hook and skedaddled back into the water before I could stop him.    In the same area I seen a massive boil and wished I could have had a shot at that fish but no such luck.  

I loved that this weather kept everyone away. I had the place to myself.   

3 hours ago, daves745t said:

What kind of phone do you have?  Seems like it takes a beating and keeps on taking great pics.  I don't know of any phones that survive multiple dunks in the salt, so I'd love to know what you're using.

I have an LG G8 ThinQ. I got it from bestbuy maybe a year or so ago. It was listed for zero dollars per month, which may have been a glitch, but I called and they said they will honor whatever is listed. I just had to pay tax based on the original price. I've dunked my phone more than a dozen times. I usually rinse it in running water when I get home. I also spray it with alcohol and leave it to dry on its own everyday, which I think I should not be doing. It has also swam in beer a few times, when it was too drunk to know not to do that. Hope this helps. 

14 hours ago, adams54 said:

I read somewhere that they were around a week ago. Not sure about now. Last year they were here at this time. But then again the fishing was better last year. Worth a shot.

Yeah I was telling my brother about fishing this morning, and he told me he had heard they were pulling up Herring around one of the parks that had a ferris wheel go over during Sandy.

Said they had caught it with a killy, and the herring was over a foot long!

After getting skunked out front at the mouth of the inlet  this morning, I went to check out of the Motor Lodge.

I decided to fish in the back behind the marina from 10:30 to 1 p.m. skunked again!

This continues the longest running skunk I have experienced with salt water. Last fish caught was a blue fish October 2015 in Atlantic City.

At least the four other guys fishing in the general vicinity of me this morning also seem to be skunked as of 1 p.m. so maybe I can say it wasn't just me?

The trick is to try and predict the weather far in advance when I make my appointment with the VA hospital in Lyons New Jersey. When I make the appointment 3 weeks in advance the weather looks okay but ends up being rainy and miserable.

Edited by BillHoo

1 hour ago, BillHoo said:

Yeah I was telling my brother about fishing this morning, and he told me he had heard they were pulling up Herring around one of the parks that had a ferris wheel go over during Sandy.

Said they had caught it with a killy, and the herring was over a foot long!

Shad. Hickery shad to be exact.