October 2020 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

UncleJohn

9 hours ago, BillHoo said:

Skunked on the docks. Just spent an hour tossing out a sabiki rig.  The kind that’s about 1 inch in length and glows in the dark.

I charge them up before casting using a bright LED Flashlight. 2 ounce sinker on the bottom. Nothing no nibbles. I quit when it got really rotten misty out. Temperatures now around 50° and dropping

Went to the local Wawa to get some Tastykake pies. I had forgotten to put a flasher on the Sobecki. So I’ll be using the little pie tin as a flash or tomorrow.

Does anyone know if any king fish are still biting? I might cast for some of those too

I read somewhere that they were around a week ago. Not sure about now. Last year they were here at this time. But then again the fishing was better last year. Worth a shot.

12 hours ago, GeoffT said:

I was not even close to the wash but the ocean was big and a big push of water from a big wave plus soft sand and at the same time turning to my left to make a move to another spot so I was off balance and got swept off my feet.   

First time that happened to me in all the years surfcasting :why:

The balance is the first thing to go. :scared:

Pfantum Pfishah

1 hour ago, AH Perry said:

Decent night last night. MOCO out back 6 to 10pm.  Lots of large spearing out there. Bass were just gently mouthing the plug, barely detectable hits but some ok fish. My first was a bluefish around 4 lbs., haven't caught one of those in a while. Managed to get 4 bass all around + or - 28". Dark colored mag darters, slower than slow retrieve. Had to work for them and left them biting. Just can't do like I used to do, need some sleep to get up for work. Used to be able to go to work after 2 or 3 hrs sleep, no more.

Need to start exploring some back water spots, in the event the surf is blown out like last night. 

15 mins ago, JimK said:

That's a sick fly. What kind of fibers did you make the body out of? Thanks

Cheers Jim, it’s a modified popovics beast fly. Bucktail hollow tied and then I veil ep fibers over the hair to help with the taper and add some flash 

7am to 8am, MoCo, had a very small window to step out and do something. Strong E-W winds with rain on your face at the beach. winds up to 20MPH made casting look funny, you throw something light and see it flying back at you. Went out back, tried for a little bit at beginning of outgoing, there were birds diving close to where I was, just ran out of time to even try something creative. Skunk is a big word for the effort. I should have not even gone to the beach and that would have given me more time out back. Well, at least it was a fresh start of a busy day. Happy Monday to all. Good luck to fellows heading out to catch some fish. 

They want the teaser and they want it slowwwww. Lost count over the weekend but did a lot of scouting. I liked the structure that I found. I think these locations will be good places for larger fish to hunt. Deep troughs, lots of sweep, cut in bar, and a throwback 2 bar system. 

Full size sand fleas and asian crabs in the wash. Rain bait is plentiful. Adult bunker washed up on Friday night. 

1 hour ago, adams54 said:

I read somewhere that they were around a week ago. Not sure about now. Last year they were here at this time. But then again the fishing was better last year. Worth a shot.

I just spent an hour this morning fishing in the inlet along the Seawall. Skunks again. Wind whipping rain into my left ear. Lots of broken up crabs left on the wall from previous fisherman. I saw a guy in a Yellow Rain Slicker under the bridge can a guy with a corduroy jacket across the way on the other side of the inlet

Fishable wind, nice looking water, but still no fish.  With a NE wind blowing 15mph or so, most of the time equals hungry fish, but it is one of those years when nothing is going as expected.  Made the trip north and couldn't get a tap.  Wind will be swinging around to the NW by morning so let's see if that sends the skunk home.

OC- Tautogs have been on and off these past days. Saturday was the toughest bite to date. Fished from Sunrise to sunset for some togs to take home to eat. The togs were on and off the entire day and I managed 6 fish out of the 4 dozen greens I used, Absolutely ridiculous! I managed to finally get a keeper on my friends rod and reel and with the crabs he had left right before the day was just about over. (Lost tons of rigs and jigs to the rocks). The inlet on Saturday also produced more bites however, it pulled more shorts than anything. Sunday seemed to fair a lot better with only two hours to spare before it was dark and the weather seemed to keep people at home, I managed two keepers between me and my father (16" and 17"), Jigs seemed to do better as well, I was pulling up 6 fish to 1 with the jig as my father was using rigs and not doing as well on bites. Hopefully we can keep a consistent bite of keepers but it seemed to slow down after October from last years log.

2 mins ago, sltwtrbob said:

I took my VERY enthusiastic and appreciative grand nephew, Ryder, fishing and a day later I received this. It's about the only striper I've seen up close in weeks but I'll be going out in SoMoCo this afternoon when the rain pauses.

Ryder striper.jpg

The red drum looks great!