October 2020 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

UncleJohn

Repeat of the other reports.  Beautiful water with miles of bunker out there never coming into casting range and getting harassed every now and then.  At one point I thought I would get a shot at them, but they turned and headed back out.  The few boats that stopped didn't stick around very long so have to think it was mostly small blues on the chase.  You could also see a few whale spouts in the mix.  Best I could do was a single fluke.  Tried some bugs yesterday in a few rips thinking that might be what they were looking for, but not a touch. Until we get some kind of swimming bait inshore its going to stay quiet.   

1 hour ago, nam1969 said:

Out front, MoCo, at 5:45 am. Incoming tide and NE wind. Nice wave action. Hooked up on third cast, right at the lip, on a yellow SP. Had my 10 foot rod and heavier reel. Totally forgot that my drag was all the way down and the fish quickly became unbuttoned. After a few choice words, I got back to it only to develop a God awful wind knot! Took quite a bit of time and loss of some line to get everything squared away. That was it for the morning, outside of a couple of light taps and one more frustrating wind knot! Talked to a fly guy who hadn't even had a hit. We watched as a continuous mass of bunker went by, well out of casting range. There were occasional rips through the pods, but no all out carnage. Besides the fly guy and myself, I only saw two other fishermen out and minimal boat traffic. Hope to try things towards dusk.

As suntzu pointed out there was a massive sand bug shed and a lot of unshed dead adult bugs on the beach . I didn't see a lot of calico sheds where I was. I dug a few spots just to see where the bug line was, but, surprisingly, it was not along the waterline. They must be just in, or slightly behind, the wash. 

i know you are old fisherman

God awful wind knot

when i cast i close the bail manualy or automatic i pull on line with fingers every time,if i do not the line lay on top of spool knob make one or more turns and jump in spool and when you cast it make wing knot.

if you do that then your reel  spool is to full,i like to have spool to the top,but these reels are made for mono and sold  for braid.the reel for braid should have top lip off spool 1/4" biger .this way you can fill the spool to the top.every reel is defrent,you have to find what that specific reel can hold,for not creating wing knot.

Fished MoCo from 6-7:30 this morning.  NE wind and decent white water.  3 other guys were working the jetty while I was on the shore.  No sign of bait.  Only hooked a fluke on a white Zman paddle tail.  Saw another fisherman reel in a fluke as well.  No other action.  Drove an hour north from home for that........

Ditto on everyone's report. Started southern MoCo around 430am. Found a nice deep hole with tons of spearing, mullet. Figured when water level rose over the bar, it would be game on, especially with the NE wind. Didnt happen.

Took a last shot in Northern OCO. Bunker all up and down the horizon with nothing doing. Smaller pods would break off and cone within casting range, but I didn't bother snag and dropping as nothing was on em.

At least I didn't have to read about everyone else beating them up!!!! 

Maybe the Fish are still in Montauk?

either that or most guys expect a blitz of 30 pounders every Time to hit the beach. 
it’s The same pattern every year. 
But when the bunker are thick like this it’s hard to catch bass. That’s why I hate when Bunker are around. There like a giant vacuum cleaner

Edited by Eeeeels

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.

Acres of bunker in somoco that periodically came within casting range. Didnt appear to be much on them. So switched up and raked up some big bugs. Three scoops yielded all i needed to switch over to tog. Pulled a few out, all shorts though. Had greens but the freshly molted almost soft shelled bugs were like tog crack today.

Mugged for 10 inch snappers.  Line crossing googans are in thicker this year than ever before.  Must have bought out the Walmart fishing section while stuck inside this spring and summer.  Pretty soon they’ll be resident SOL experts! 

C&R