UncleJohn

October 2020 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

1,601 posts in this topic

When's the best time to fish new moons or full moons?  
1.  Night of the moon?

2.  Day or two after the moon?

3.  Day of the moon?

The new and full moons somehow trigger bait out into the ocean, correct?

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 days before and 2 days after.  5 day total.  If you can only fish one day the night before or night of.  The new moon is how the fish know when to push out with ease, and the predators know this.  Temps, wind, and barometric pressure have a lot to do with it as well. 
good luck.  This is a short explanation.  It can be very detailed and specific to certain tides and inlets as well.  

Edited by RiverCommando215

By the way @Sam3631 these are questions easily answered with some google searches.  Try to do your homework before you hit the easy button.  Not being a jerk.  You learn nothing if it is all given to you on a silver platter.  Catch em up and please practice catch and release.  These fish are struggling.  By saving one you save hundreds in the future.  Think about it.  

2 hours ago, RiverCommando215 said:

By the way @Sam3631 these are questions easily answered with some google searches.  Try to do your homework before you hit the easy button.  Not being a jerk.  You learn nothing if it is all given to you on a silver platter.  Catch em up and please practice catch and release.  These fish are struggling.  By saving one you save hundreds in the future.  Think about it.  

Jeez, I've searched in the past and figured this is the best place to ask.  Thanks for your 1st response.

When I catch, which is rare, I release, as they're all small anyway.  Whenever I catch my first keeper I'm releasing it.

You wrote above regarding catch and release as if you know something about me and my habits.

Contrary to what you wrote, you are being a jerk.  I ask a question and I guess you make assumptions about me.  And voice them.  Very helpful.

Edited by Sam3631
Added the jerk explanation

On 10/11/2020 at 10:54 AM, nam1969 said:

On the beach at 5:45 am to 7:15, MoCo. Outgoing tide and NW breeze. Water is still warm, around 63 degrees. All the fluke you want. Stacked up along the beach, with some decent sized ones mixed in. To bad they.re out of season. No other action, just the fluke. There was one dude out on the end of the jetty. Don't know how he made out in the dark, but he didn't hook up once it got light. Water is clear with a little wave action. 

I did notice, a few minutes ago, that the wind has shifted to NE and freshened up. That won't do anything to get the water temps down; just the opposite. Will see if the shift and a dropping barometer later today will get the fish active. Gonna give it another shot later this afternoon. Looks like tomorrow will be a washout.

NmocoSB 

AM bupkis
Bunker All Day w/dolphin blowing them up
no fish

7 hours ago, cartopper said:

You’re very honest . . . Next time!  And replace those hooks and push down the barbs :howdy:

I'm a believer in crushing barbs. Point taken and now all my old trusty plugs have new shiny hooks :p

Moco outback late afternoon to dark. Tons of rain bait in close and what looked like striper and birds blitzing pretty far out. Went on for awhile. Picked up a few schoolies and two flounder on 4” swimbait and sp minnow. My buddy got a few schoolies as well and a 30” which was released. Back at it in the am. 

3 hours ago, Sam3631 said:

1.  Night of the moon?

3.  Day of the moon?

All factors but not gospel, best advice, sit out full moon nights where the moon is bright, otherwise its a crapshoot and there have been epic full bright moon blitzes so tell the rules to go away. Old school folks like 2-3 days after full, many prefer dark nights and fish the new moon. Then you have the group that likes to fish the quarters, not so much for the moon phase but because it gives them the tide they want in the middle of the night. 

For example, Sandy Hook NJ, full and new moon tides are always in the 8PM area time of night, if you like outgoing water in that location and 10 or 11PM to go out fit your schedule, then your set.

Don't let it make you try and figger out the secret, there is none, air and water temps, length of days, times that you fish, wind directions, storms, tides, water conditions, and most important bait presence are all part of the formula. Go fishing!

Thanks very much for the info.  I don't fish enough at night, just early mornings before sunrise and nights after sunset but never middle of the night.  I know they're night feeders, just haven't forced myself to get out there enough.

Was hoping we'd have some luck today but no luck.  Guess they're just not here yet in numbers close to shore.

Really trying to make this the season I become successful at this. First two outings were OK with fluke and shad but no stripers, third skunk in a row tonight. Out back OC 4-7. Rain bait everywhere. Also was bait busting constantly a little further out, maybe peanuts. Absolutely nothing on them though. Not a tap.

I'm happy that I'm more observant this season and I'm way more aware about what's around me, but I'm not lucking into anything. I'm happy with my presentation too, I've slowed down and no longer rip baits in (but I will try different variations of speed to try to dial it in). Also a willingness to fish night time to correspond with tides now too. Somewhat discouraged but I'll keep at it. Every trip I'm able to locate bars, cuts, troughs, bait, etc which is something I struggled at until this season so I know I'm getting better, just need the bite to occur.

4 hours ago, Sam3631 said:

1.  Night of the moon?

3.  Day of the moon?

Like some said bright full moon is tough except possibly low tide. Otherwise fish at night with different moon phases and carry different plugs/ color and you will learn to no which colors work.

also no need to feel guilty keeping a fish to eat. 

Did a dead low to chunk of incoming beach walk in MoCo today, looking for beach soft structure. 

brought the gear for the walk, ‘cause why not?

So, so, so much bait. Small bait in the wash, shad in that sweet 5-6 inch range balling up, bunker about 1/4 mile offshore, with what looked like Albies crashing through it.

Only thing that swiped at my offerings was hickory shad, the beach front is drastically different than it was before the blow, but the variables look good for the next week. ID your pockets, cuts and drains and fish them hard.

Edited by BillN

9 hours ago, UncleJohn said:

they should make a floating wallet 

They do make floating fishing bags, I came across one when I was looking for a surf bag. Didn't buy one because I am always out of the water but thought it was cool.

5 hours ago, chitala383 said:

Better than losing it in the drink.

True, but chances of a car break in secluded areas are high. But you are right. Maybe lock it with a key in the glove compartment.