October 2020 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

UncleJohn

Out front in OC pre sunrise until 10.  Absolute buffet of bait available today. Tons of mullet, adult bunker on the inside of the bar, bay anchovies and smaller pods of peanuts. Only one guy catching using mullet rigs.  Plugged away to no avail. Headed back for an afternoon session to see if any fish found the bait. 

Went down at 11 am for a look see. As others reported, acres of bunker going by, with rips going through them. Outgoing tide. Had my wife's car, so went home and got my truck and gear. Fished for 45 minutes off the end of a jetty. Pods were just out of casting range. They moved closer a couple of times and I was able to hit the outside of the bait. No takers. A couple of other guys were snagging and dropping, with no luck. I was told that two small blues had been pulled in earlier. Crystal clear water and slight NW wind.

I saw something today I've never seen before.  Bunker for as far as I could see to the north, south and east.  But the coolest thing was what I can only describe as the water flashing.  Not just in a small area, but seemed like the whole ocean.  It was the bunker.. the entire area of bunker would simultaneously and spontaneously get nervous and a very bright and sudden flash would occur.  Almost like a flashbulb...  it happened a couple of times.  The first time a person I was sharing the rock pile with and I were really not sure what we had just seen.  Wild.

Edited by JimK

"Russian War Ship.. go f*#k yourself"

@Raak To be clear the full moon and new moon are optimal obviously.  New moon is money.  Fish two days before and after.  Wherever you fish remember the current will be stronger and that will mean heavier weight to jig.   The mullet left over should be pushing out now with the cold snap, and lately been seeing lots of peanuts and rain bait getting slammed at night.  Mostly blues banging on em and schoolie stripers waiting below.  It’s heating up.  Just cuz the reports are slow doesn’t mean someone isn’t slaying em late night.  Usually no one is gonna post up about good fish as they don’t want the mugging to commence.  Don’t chase reports, make em.
RC

@RiverCommando215 I agree. I have been going out every single day, sometimes twice a day. Most people who caught fish, including keeper stripers, aren't even on SOL. I ask everyone I meet if you are here. So yeah, most fish being caught is not reported. And thanks for the info on full and new moon. 

Don’t be too chatty man.  Lose lips Sink  ships.  The wise man said nothing he just stood and watched.   This report thread is viewed probably 100,000 times in a month.  Many people just trying to scab some info and use it selfishly.  That’s what I use to do... then I joined to be a part of the Give and take.  That’s what makes stripers online so valuable.  Be careful about you Photos too. Your photo with the cut soft plastic shows some stuff that led me to know where you were.  It doesn’t take much to be Nancy drew and detect your Location.  
Very often on the river we chat it up with the newbies and send em off to the schmo spots.  They think we did em solid when all we did was pass em off to keep them away from the cows.

RC

5 hours ago, suntzu said:

Last night was nice, there are fish on the inside not so much on the outside was cool to watch the Rocket that was launched in VA fly by around 9:15

lots of boats out this morning doing nothing, west wind calm surf brilliant sunshine

I forgot about the launch - but I did see a blaze of orange in the SE sky and thought that it was too big to be a plane.