UncleJohn

October 2020 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

1,664 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, bbfish said:

I grew up going to big monmouth and remember thinking it was mind-blowing that you could now walk to sea bright/little monmouth when they pumped sand.  Seemed like a world away beforehand.  Also I wonder how many people realize the jetty actually goes all the way back to the seawall, or furthermore that there's another jetty a few hundred yards north.

That was Jarvis's Jetty . . . another former fish producer.  A little harder to access . . . many times stripers had baitfish pinned in the north pocket.  Also, took many large weakies from that jetty back in the 80's.

4 mins ago, cartopper said:

That was Jarvis's Jetty . . . another former fish producer.  A little harder to access . . . many times stripers had baitfish pinned in the north pocket.  Also, took many large weakies from that jetty back in the 80's.

About 10 years ago it poked its head out of the sand just in time for them to drop another million lbs of sand on top of it.

25 mins ago, DeeMonee said:

Couldn’t use the bottle technique because 1) it was out front and 2) I didn’t have a bottle. 

That trick usually works only in running water like rivers or back bay because the flow of water takes the bottle on the other direction, so it pulls the lure from the opposite direction. Sorry to hear you lost your lure tho.

Got a late start and didn't get to the beach till 6:30 this morning. Decent wave action and water was a lot cleaner than I thought it would be. Outgoing tide. Ocean has laid down quickly, given the length of the blow. Had great expectations. but would have been better off reading Dicken's book! Nada, nothing, nil, zed! Not even a tap at three separate locations. Only saw two other fishermen out at all three locations. They both left without hooking up. Time for a sacrifice to appease the fish Gods. Anybody that has a chicken for the ceremony, let me know.

Last minute trip last night 9:30PM to 1AM. after the kids went to bed.  I went to my usual spot,  RB Staten Island Side. As I got there I realized I read the tide wrong..... :banghd: Rookie mistake. I was already out so I decided to try a different spot.... Water was like glass, west wind, no visible bait, bottom of the outgoing, super skinny water.  After casting  for about an hour in frustration I decided to call it quits.  After halfway walking back to the car I decided to take one last cast. Hooked UP!!! needless to say, I stayed a few more hours Caught two one 27' fatty, and another 22' both on the SP minnow. ( was the only thing in the bag that stayed just below the surface without dragging bottom) I hooked up several times  with some great runoffs but was not able to land any more.  So my mistake worked out well!!! Hopefully here we go!! Of course going to try to get back out tonight. 

IMG_1724.jpeg

Edited by Joeeee

11 mins ago, nam1969 said:

Got a late start and didn't get to the beach till 6:30 this morning. Decent wave action and water was a lot cleaner than I thought it would be. Outgoing tide. Ocean has laid down quickly, given the length of the blow. Had great expectations. but would have been better off reading Dicken's book! Nada, nothing, nil, zed! Not even a tap at three separate locations. Only saw two other fishermen out at all three locations. They both left without hooking up. Time for a sacrifice to appease the fish Gods. Anybody that has a chicken for the ceremony, let me know.

I have one that's eating all the eggs in the coop .... If I am not able to correct it, might be available for the fish Gods (lol)

12 mins ago, fishingnuke said:

Guys like Sudsy, Car-topper and me can tell you what it would be like. Spring time, we live lined the jetties, then we transitioned to fishing crabs and rigged eels and plugs in the summer months, and then we moved to the fall bite. The difference being then we had fish! The fish would move into those jetties in the spring and would stay due to the abundance of food around those rocks. Even in the summer the fish were there and I am talking about fish in the 20,  30, 40, and 50-pound class. Why because of food, they would drift off to deeper water in the heat of the day but at night come back in around the jetties. Some nights were epic. Thinking about this I could cry at how they ruined a wonderful fishery.

This^^^^^^^^^^^.........those were the days......now Fish On.

1 hour ago, bbfish said:

About 10 years ago it poked its head out of the sand just in time for them to drop another million lbs of sand on top of it.

I do remember . . . we had a good sand eel bite then, and experiencing a nostalgic moment standing among the exposed rocks of that jetty catching schoolies.

.....I have those moments sometimes while driving in my truck, passing through what is now a neighborhood with million dollars homes on'em remembering how many deer I took out of the woods over the years....right on what is now some guys front lawn...the bulldozer and beach replenishment.....Geeezzz.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

12 hours ago, Sudsy said:

I grew up on those rocks, from West end to Asbury

Losing them was like losing a major part of myself

Great pictures cut my teeth on those jetty’s. Miss them badly.

3 hours ago, fishingnuke said:

AC has them..It looks just like our jersey beaches did

I have seen them in AC but they are mostly inlet facing. Plus it's AC, not my favorite place to fish the night bite lol.

Wasn't really planning on heading out this morning but decided to give it a look well after sun rise.  As Nam reported, conditions were much better then expected.  Surf was flattening and the water was just lightly stained.  Plenty of visibility so put the boots on and gave it a try.  Same result as Bob, nada.  Saw a few dolphins jump but no bunker or bait visible except for the bugs in the wash.  Did find what looked like a new mag darter laying on the sand so guess it was worth the trip.

0500 - 1100

MoCo

Started my predawn trip by exploring a new spot in a small back creek. Landed two small blues. Tide went slacking at the peak high. Made my move out front. Bounced around all morning. Waves came in sets and 3'-4' crashing, but otherwise flat. Calmed down as the day went on. Few small bass on the lip.

20201014_075527.jpg

20201014_091442.jpg