UncleJohn

October 2020 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

1,517 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Raak said:

MoCo out back 10.45pm to 2.50Am. crystal clear water. Outgoing. 

Got 2 blues. Officially skunk broken. What an amazing experience fighting a blue. Getting them out of water was hard as I was on a higher ground, luckily they got free at the tip themselves. Left me a souvenir. 

I wasted a few hours casting closeby with a 2oz jighead. I was casting it as far as I could with the 2 rods I had, but they wouldn't go any further. Switched to 3oz jighead and reached the channel, then it was one after the other till I snagged my jig on rocks and lost it. 

Can someone recommend a rod and reel (combo or not) which would allow me to cast a 1.5 or 2oz jig far (guessing 40 to 50 yards)? With all the force i had, it just wasn't enough. 

20201003_013128.jpg

Congrats on breaking your skunk! 

check out the distance casting forum, lots of guys focused on that over there. Most use a conventional reel to huck it out there, a la Penn Fathom casting special. Lots of modded reels etc.

But a lot of time the fish are within range. Good Luck!

Yo @Raak congrats buddy!  Them blues got some attitude Don’t they?  Well  your skunk is broken and you are learning!  If you drop that 50 lb braid to 30 lb you will double your casting distance immediately.  Watch the video from SJ on YouTube on how to improve your cast and keep a bunch of plastic on ya as those blues will destroy them quickly.  Keep it up and keep a log as to remember what produced and what didn’t.  Your learning that you don’t need all them rods.  One rod and one mindset can get you pretty far.  So happy to see ya bending that rod.  Welcome to the night shift!

enjoy brother and keep in touch!

RC

Raak you will notice the guys who are out at 12-4 am are more serious than the daytime beach guys.  If you have a chance watch what they do and maybe chat em up. Don’t ask for too much as they are pretty tight lipped but they should give you some help.  Be careful and enjoy the darkness.  On these full moon nights if ya wait for the clouds to cover the moon you should cast as the moon gets blocked out.  Fish will turn on everytime the sky gets darker.  Bright night is usually not good.  Try the sp as well ran slow.  Sp and darter will take a blue bearing and get striper too. Now you got the itch and are making moves.  Proud of ya.  
RC

Posted (edited) · Report post

9 hours ago, ACFishing said:

yes, they started as soon as possible

The hook needs no replenishment! It gets bigger and longer from the sand moving north on the littoral currents , after being dumped on the beaches south. Dumping sand and removing sand are both bad news for surf fishing. They are dredging Sandy Hook channel as it fills in with sand, making it dangerous for naval and commercial shipping. If they replenished the Hook also , we could walk to the Verazzano Bridge at low tide, in short order!

Edited by yarddog59

Went out last night after the kids went to bed.  8:30 - 11:30 out front in OC.  Outgoing tide.  Worked every hole and cut along the hometown beach.  Threw a popper and then switched over to a swim shad with a teaser.  Had a couple of bumps along a couple of holes, but nothing.  The moon was bright last night - I thought a full moon would help produce some fish, so thanks @RiverCommando215for the knowledge on when and how to fish the full moon.  Will try to get out for a bit again today if the kids and time allow.

5 hours ago, Raak said:

MoCo out back 10.45pm to 2.50Am. crystal clear water. Outgoing. 

Got 2 blues. Officially skunk broken. What an amazing experience fighting a blue. Getting them out of water was hard as I was on a higher ground, luckily they got free at the tip themselves. Left me a souvenir. 

I wasted a few hours casting closeby with a 2oz jighead. I was casting it as far as I could with the 2 rods I had, but they wouldn't go any further. Switched to 3oz jighead and reached the channel, then it was one after the other till I snagged my jig on rocks and lost it. 

Can someone recommend a rod and reel (combo or not) which would allow me to cast a 1.5 or 2oz jig far (guessing 40 to 50 yards)? With all the force i had, it just wasn't enough. 

20201003_013128.jpg

Depends on how much you’re willing to spend.  For an all around setup take a look at the st croix mojos, either the 9’ or 10’6 rated 3/4-4 oz.  The 9’ is a little easier to use in back bay and rivers but the extra 18” on the 10.6 is great for the beach.  There’s a dozen other rod manufacturers out there so you can get a ton of opinions.  I’m almost always a st croix guy because of the warranty; I’m very abusive on my gear.   

Pair with a 6000 sized shimano, can’t go wrong with the saragossa. There are plenty of alternatives here as well. If money isn’t an issue and you’re in this game for the long haul you can take a look at Van staals.  Not necessary unless you’re going to submerge them, but certainly have their advantage of literally never having to wash or worry about sand/water intrusion while surf fishing.  Also the added bonus of letting you use your rod as a walking stick when wading in less than favorable conditions.

If you’re brand new to the game you may have some sticker shock of what some items can cost, but I can assure you in the saltwater the rule of buy nice or buy twice generally applies.  

9 hours ago, ACFishing said:

yes, they started as soon as possible

Thanks for that info. Oh rats.... which is all I can catch lately anyway. Might do the bunker thing tonight. Some of the cocktails I saw being dragged out looked like they had some nice size to them.

Last night was nice, there are fish on the inside not so much on the outside was cool to watch the Rocket that was launched in VA fly by around 9:15

lots of boats out this morning doing nothing, west wind calm surf brilliant sunshine

Calming surf and water that continues to clear.  Back with the skunk this morning.  Only encouraging sign was seeing miles of bunker about an hour after sun up.  Was all off shore but they seemed to be everywhere and they were getting attacked from time to time.  Can only hope some of them get pushed to the beach.

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, RiverCommando215 said:

Yo @Raak congrats buddy!  Them blues got some attitude Don’t they?  Well  your skunk is broken and you are learning!  If you drop that 50 lb braid to 30 lb you will double your casting distance immediately.   .... So happy to see ya bending that rod.  Welcome to the night shift!

enjoy brother and keep in touch!

RC

Thanks so much. It was a great learning experience. I would like to do this again just to figure out the technique as it is definitely different.

I do have 30lbs braid now. I changed it the day after we met, on all my rods that had 50. 

Raak you will notice the guys who are out at 12-4 am are more serious than the daytime beach guys.  If you have a chance watch what they do and maybe chat em up. Don’t ask for too much as they are pretty tight lipped but they should give you some help. 

@Raak

They are to be honest. I met a few new people, and wonderful people really. Super helpful, some shared tips, pointed out if I did something wrong and also shared tackle. God bless them all. Including you sir.

2 hours ago, bbfish said:

Depends on how much you’re willing to spend.  For an all around setup take a look at the st croix mojos, either the 9’ or 10’6 rated 3/4-4 oz.  The 9’ is a little easier to use in back bay and rivers but the extra 18” on the 10.6 is great for the beach.  There’s a dozen other rod manufacturers out there so you can get a ton of opinions.  I’m almost always a st croix guy because of the warranty; I’m very abusive on my gear.   

Pair with a 6000 sized shimano, can’t go wrong with the saragossa. There are plenty of alternatives here as well. If money isn’t an issue and you’re in this game for the long haul you can take a look at Van staals.  Not necessary unless you’re going to submerge them, but certainly have their advantage of literally never having to wash or worry about sand/water intrusion while surf fishing.  Also the added bonus of letting you use your rod as a walking stick when wading in less than favorable conditions.

If you’re brand new to the game you may have some sticker shock of what some items can cost, but I can assure you in the saltwater the rule of buy nice or buy twice generally applies.  

I totally understand your points and thanks for the tips. I already have the Shimano 6000D which I have put on a 12 foot rod for chunking, but that rod is a pain to jig. Might replace it with your suggestion above.

Not ready for the big ticket items lol but I do understand that you get what you pay for. But it's great to know there are such options out there. Thank you so much for your suggestions.

1 hour ago, GeoffT said:

Congrats @Raak!   Just keep on plugging away!

Thanks ... I lost so many jigheads and soft plastic including swivels, anglers clips and leaders in the last two days because of all the stuff under water that won't let go once you get stuck. That's the only downside of the spot I was, but so far that's the only spot I caught something. Hopefully I will eventually get more control of where my lures are and how to keep them away from the rocks and stuff under water. A fellow fisherman there said, "if you aren't losing em, you aren't using them". 

Thanks @Slowwwride and @Potato Caboose for your suggestions.

Edited by Raak

21 mins ago, Raak said:

Thanks so much. It was a great learning experience. I would like to do this again just to figure out the technique as it is definitely different.

I do have 30lbs braid now. I changed it the day after we met, on all my rods that had 50. 

They are to be honest. I met a few new people, and wonderful people really. Super helpful, some shared tips, pointed out if I did something wrong and also shared tackle. God bless them all. Including you sir.

I totally understand your points and thanks for the tips. I already have the Shimano 6000D which I have put on a 12 foot rod for chunking, but that rod is a pain to jig. Might replace it with your suggestion above.

Not ready for the big ticket items lol but I do understand that you get what you pay for. But it's great to know there are such options out there. Thank you so much for your suggestions.

Thanks ... I lost so many jigheads and soft plastic including swivels, anglers clips and leaders in the last two days because of all the stuff under water that won't let go once you get stuck. That's the only downside of the spot I was, but so far that's the only spot I caught something. Hopefully I will eventually get more control of where my lures are and how to keep them away from the rocks and stuff under water. A fellow fisherman there said, "if you aren't losing em, you aren't using them". 

Losing jigs is definitely part of the process.  If you’re losing a lot, maybe lighten the jig weight up.  Opt for smaller diameter braid and you’ll be able to throw lighter weights the same distance.  One bait that I’ve found to help with distance While jigging is fishing an albie snax on a jighead, theyre denser and more streamlined than most soft plastics. I can throw them probably 25% farther than a slug go on the same size jig.  They’re a little more stiff than your average soft plastic so I’ve found providing a little more jigging action than usual considerably ups your chances of getting bit.  Perfect bait for the fall mimicking peanuts/mullet.

767B88F5-B38B-4312-BF22-FA9CDF58F8C4.jpeg