UncleJohn

October 2020 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

1,517 posts in this topic

Out back OC for the first two hours of outgoing, 1 blow up on my fly but waffled the set. Poked around out front and hit jetties moving north until about 330. Not another bump. Really nice green water with some decent suds. No one else hooking up. Saw one bird carrying a bunker but that was it bait wise.

Skunk for me this evening. Had a lot of bait at my feet being harassed by something while Dolphins were on something really close in. Conditions looked promising but no cigar.

My 3rd outing togging and believe I got my fix for now. Not as productive as the last two but still decent action with capturing just over 20 with 1 keeper that is still swimming.  Did lose what felt like a 20+" fish. Changing tactics up definitely fuels up the tank when surf activity is just not that productive yet. I am still seeing a lot of bait flowing and there was some good splashing with birds above them but out of casting range. Definitely best year so far togging from land for me. Cant wait to hit some wrecks on a boat as I have a feeling this may be a good year.

SoMoco outfront 530-730pm, mild west wind allowed me to cast past 1st breaker. Fished bottom, top then middle, troughs, rocks next to jetty, and over sandbars without any luck. No birds, saw some rainfish. Saw 1 young dude at 530 on a jetty throwin white swimmer w out anything to say, one guy at 7 throwin chunks of bluefish sayin it was slow for him this week. Surfers said they didnt see much bait where they were.

7-10 various spots out back starting in Middlesex and heading east around the bay. Had a blowup on a pencil right around after dusk and then not much for me. Bunker chunking guys were getting cocktails.

Did replenshiment start at the northern end of the hook yet?  They said October right

OC out front 6-9. Trying to get more experienced going into my third fall here. Came across some bait being harassed at some point. It wasn't mullet. It sort of looked like peanut bunker, is that a possibility? Threw on a mullet imitation anyway and had something have a go at it at the lip when I was taking the lure out of the water. Was cool and it seemed like a bass or a blue but nothing came of it. Few cast later had a bump but no hookup, so started thinking there were smaller blues around and switched to a tin and teaser. Caught what I think was a hickory shad which is a first for me and avoided the skunk with it. Nothing after that. Water was crystal clear, had some decent suds and some apparent bait to work with but that's all she wrote.

All in all, it's going alright I suppose. I'm happy with this new spot I'm working. I got my first few fluke out front ever last week, caught my first shad this week, fished the surf at night for the first time ever (except the one time I chunked with some dudes), and got bumps/action on soft plastics which I previously had no luck on. I'm thinking I'll stick with plugs this fall, I chunked alot last fall and caught nothing but trash fish. The one outing I used lures I caught some bass up to 24". Just not sure chunking is really very productive in the fall anymore, but who knows. Maybe if I did it at night I would of saw better results.

47 mins ago, Slowwwride said:

7-10 various spots out back starting in Middlesex and heading east around the bay. Had a blowup on a pencil right around after dusk and then not much for me. Bunker chunking guys were getting cocktails.

Did replenshiment start at the northern end of the hook yet?  They said October right

yes, they started as soon as possible

Posted (edited) · Report post

MoCo out back 10.45pm to 2.50Am. crystal clear water. Outgoing. 

Got 2 blues. Officially skunk broken. What an amazing experience fighting a blue. Getting them out of water was hard as I was on a higher ground, luckily they got free at the tip themselves. Left me a souvenir. 

I wasted a few hours casting closeby with a 2oz jighead. I was casting it as far as I could with the 2 rods I had, but they wouldn't go any further. Switched to 3oz jighead and reached the channel, then it was one after the other till I snagged my jig on rocks and lost it. 

Can someone recommend a rod and reel (combo or not) which would allow me to cast a 1.5 or 2oz jig far (guessing 40 to 50 yards)? With all the force i had, it just wasn't enough. 

20201003_013128.jpg

Edited by Raak

2 hours ago, Raak said:

MoCo out back 10.45pm to 2.50Am. crystal clear water. Outgoing. 

Got 2 blues. Officially skunk broken. What an amazing experience fighting a blue. Getting them out of water was hard as I was on a higher ground, luckily they got free at the tip themselves. Left me a souvenir. 

I wasted a few hours casting closeby with a 2oz jighead. I was casting it as far as I could with the 2 rods I had, but they wouldn't go any further. Switched to 3oz jighead and reached the channel, then it was one after the other till I snagged my jig on rocks and lost it. 

Can someone recommend a rod and reel (combo or not) which would allow me to cast a 1.5 or 2oz jig far (guessing 40 to 50 yards)? With all the force i had, it just wasn't enough. 

20201003_013128.jpg

Fast tapered rod rated for weights you prefer to throw. Used to make rods.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fishing_rod_tapers

7 hours ago, ACFishing said:

yes, they started as soon as possible

Tyvm.... I will head further south for tonight’s little excursion..... if we don’t get lazy, have a bonfire, and fish for dogfish :shaky: