UncleJohn

October 2020 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

1,518 posts in this topic

57 mins ago, Whortleberry said:

Respectful decision. Great attitude

A whole lot better than some of the a..hole surfers who jump in right where I'm fishing with out so much as a glance. 

Headed south this morning to change scenery. On the beach at 6 am, off at 8:30. Got wet when the rain moved in. One shad on a teaser. A couple of solid hits right before dawn. That was it. Nice wave action with an incoming tide. Talked to several other guys and none of them hooked up or even had a hit.No visible bait and one bird pecked once and left. May give it another shot toward dusk.

19 mins ago, nam1969 said:

A whole lot better than some of the a..hole surfers who jump in right where I'm fishing with out so much as a glance. 

I have never had a surfer yield to me while fishing. Ever.

Eeeeels, Nam, you're welcome to stand with me anytime.

48 mins ago, nam1969 said:

That seems to happen quite a bit, there doesnt seem to be a ton of mutual respect.  Ive had guys ask me if it was ok to use the rip next to a jetty to get out and theyd be out of my way, that doesnt bother me too much. Not that it matters much anymore because the jetties are all but gone, but the spearfishing guys who would swim right where you were casting were the scum of the earth.  I think id take the surfers over them.

Good on you @Eeeeels, great to see people give respect even though its not always returned.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I’ll just say that it is almost NEVER returned. They will paddle out right in front of you and it isn’t naivety- it’s on purpose.  But you should still give the respect- in the least because if you hook one or hit one or tangle one it’s your fault unfortunately.  The worst is when they take a rip and CANT even surf. It’s like- why are you out there in the first place 

Edited by BobBass

Conditions much improved this morning over yesterday.  Surf settled down and water clarity is now fishable.  It looked better then it was since I could not see any bait around to light things up.  Did manage to side step the skunk by getting one striper on the swimmer later in the morning.  Tried one other spot on the way home but nothing doing.  Beginning to wonder if I should get the bugging rod back out and see if anything is feeding on them since the swimming bait has disappeared.

DSCF3280.JPG

Couldn’t get out for the dusk bite last night but it seems I didn’t miss much. Headed north this AM, 1 hr predawn. Flat ocean, light NNW, middle of incoming, decent surf action, just saw 2 surfers N of me and 1 other jetty angler. 1 stinky Jersey tarpon on the teaser and a small hit on the BT. 

Out front ocean county 530-8. Conditions were good, water was looking clean. Few small taps probably before or around 6, couldn't put it together this morning though. Noticed a lot of larger sand fleas as well as the high tide line covered in dead or sheddings, I presume from the full moon? 

Side note of the surfers, I can get over it and move spots when I'm fishing plugs. But If I'm fishing bait, after I've walked the beach with more gear then I care to carry, to find a promising empty spot. I'm going to have some words with them if they want to go out right in front of me. 

And the guys surfing these things are top tier

Screen_Shot_2020-01-21_at_1.01.45_PM_1024x1024.png

23 mins ago, el_tsunami said:

Out front ocean county 530-8. Conditions were good, water was looking clean. Few small taps probably before or around 6, couldn't put it together this morning though. Noticed a lot of larger sand fleas as well as the high tide line covered in dead or sheddings, I presume from the full moon? 

Side note of the surfers, I can get over it and move spots when I'm fishing plugs. But If I'm fishing bait, after I've walked the beach with more gear then I care to carry, to find a promising empty spot. I'm going to have some words with them if they want to go out right in front of me. 

And the guys surfing these things are top tier

Screen_Shot_2020-01-21_at_1.01.45_PM_1024x1024.png

Ill respect surfers, only if they respect the space of a fisherman

WHOA! That's pure Nat Geo stuff!  I'm amazed that whoever filmed it had such a steady hand.  That last few seconds would've had me going nuts!  Thanks for sharing it!