UncleJohn

October 2020 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

1,664 posts in this topic

I tried out front NoMoCo in some fishy water.  I had about 20 minutes were it was totally fine and then the winds came up big time pushing 30 and gusting 40 that stung the face.  I could cast into good water but the belly in the line and the sweep just didn't leave the lure in the fish zone for very long. Basically the ocean spit my lure back at me.   Water looked good. Post storm should see some fish around.  

Edited by pressphotog

2 hours ago, Goldy said:

I use windy but just google sandy hook bouy and check wind

can you explain to me how the large party boats are going to do this?

fyi. We are first time ever over 100 pages on report thread (i think)

I was recently on the party  boat Keyport Princess for a night trip. Unfortunately I went fishless. About a dozen monster bass where caught by other lucky fishermen.

I only saw circle hooks used. Captain encourage higher test lines and reels with stronger drags so fish would not fight a long time before surrendering totally exhausted

I was impressed by the captains and mates insistence that the fish be QUICKLY put back into the water. A very quick photo of the trophy fish and then back overboard. True a Party boat can not provide the TLC of leaning over and making sure the fish is revived before letting it swim away. I guess that is why they insisted on quick return to the water

Not perfect but better than years gone by

Only party boat i was on this year so I don't know how other boats are handling it.

2 hours ago, Bluetaildragger said:

38 inch fish is an over.... just saving you the hassle of finding out the hard way.  Sounds like a great day, boats are on em as usual 

MoCo sometime way too early until 2:30.  Slow start to the day with nothing happening within casting range.  Got to stare down several pods of bunker being harassed by bass about 2 casts lengths away.  I even brought my 11 foot stick! 

As the day progressed the water developed a north to south sweep.  Used that to my advantage and landed two nice fish in four casts.  That ten minutes was the only action on the day. 

Water was dirtying up pretty fast where I was when I left. 

When did NJ change  the striper regs from 38 inches? just looked and it state 28-38 in NJ

NY is 37

6 mins ago, captnemo58 said:

When did NJ change  the striper regs from 38 inches? just looked and it state 28-38 in NJ

NY is 37

Its 37.99. 38 is over.  Ny is 28-35. 

i still dont understand how trophy fishes are released from a huge party boat

3 hours ago, DragonsLax48 said:

Do yourself a favor and get F i sh Weather (its free). It has every bit of information you need as a fisherman. Live wind, wind forecast, temps, pressure, tides, wave height, etc. 

I'm liking Fish Weather ...

Thanks 

Fished NOMO 5-6. Rough out there. Winds at 30+ knots. Wind in the face with rain pellets didn’t make it enjoyable. Bucktails and sluggos held on though. Wind knot ruined my outting and then lost a sluggo. Beach was already looking very different! 

5CACCEE7-8AD8-4697-ABF7-A204A6E8B834.jpeg

1 hour ago, el_tsunami said:

Out front, ocean county 430-530. Was watching the wind reports after an uneventful morning, and saw a slight lull from East to north east. Made a last minute decision to hit the surf, and it paid off. Was talking to myself about how many more casts I had in me and fish on. Landed 2 around 28-30 and released. Then got a slam and battled this 35" fish in a fierce rip and surf, pinned against a wall of sand from the storm erosion. I won't ever miss another Nor'easter again, no matter how much it can suck to be out there. New personal best from the surf, and first fish harvested in 3 years. Wonderbread bucktail

PXL_20201029_215059423.MP.jpg

Nice!  I bought the same bucktail this afternoon but just fished from 7 -9:30 OC.  Waste.  Unfishable and dangerous.  Guess I was too late.

Just now, Sam3631 said:

Nice!  I bought the same bucktail this afternoon but just fished from 7 -9:30 OC.  Waste.  Unfishable and dangerous.  Guess I was too late.

I have too many plain lures/metals/jigs. I secretly think some of these older fish can recognize the difference, but that's neither here nor there. I was looking at the storm system coming into the area and I saw a tremendous lull in the wind. As soon as it started changing from low east after a strong East, to a subtle but strong North East it all came together. Call it coincidence but I don't believe that. Either way when  I started I saw birds diving out of reach and they slowly kept creeping closer and closer to Shore based on the wind. Just something to think about. Worked out for me, and I've been begging for the day bite I finally got

3 hours ago, Goldy said:

I don't understand how people release trophy fish during a storm or any big water. Lol. It's not fun

4 hours ago, Goldy said:

Videos all over Instagram from a few party boats, they release them like albies. Guess it’s better than seeing them dead on the deck. 

8 mins ago, suntzu said:

Not fishable out front MC this morning 

I’ve been waiting to hear this. It was borderline IMO when I left last night. 

Water chocolate milk yet? 

Edited by Local24 SSP