UncleJohn

October 2020 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

1,664 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 hours ago, UncleJohn said:

Can't get out today but I have been watching the beach cams and looking at the Windy app.   The Windy App is telling me that the wind is steady 17 out of the East with Gusts up to 27    The flags that I see on the Beach Cams look more north than anything.    Is it just the Beach cams perspective or is Windy a bit off today.     

What apps do you guys use to check the wind ?

Windy.jpg

Windfinder (the paid version with Superforecast model included).  I found it pretty accurate and am pleased with it.  

Edited by GeoffT

Wind tends to be spot specific I find. Like the general direction is sort of usually right but dunes, buildings, probably even wave action can sort of dictate what way the wind is actually blowing in the spot your standing. That said I need a good app myself

Windy.com here but I use it more as a Macro wind indicator than a Micro. Just looking for the general direction knowing I will need to adjust once there.

Wind is not terrible at the moment in MC about 14 ENE, ocean is frothy but still clean, building-will be out in a certain spot this evening - can feel temp dropping 

673648F3-EA94-43AC-AB65-87CB1AB0E949.jpeg

Late Report from this AM. Pre dawn 1 hr. N wind, end of incoming, surprisingly pretty flat ocean with little surf and suds. There were few pockets of rolling surf and white water but it wasn’t up and down the beach. Not a bump and also broke off. Later found it was a knot fail. The braid end of the knot was intact. Ugh and the End. 

2 hours ago, UncleJohn said:

Can't get out today but I have been watching the beach cams and looking at the Windy app.   The Windy App is telling me that the wind is steady 17 out of the East with Gusts up to 27    The flags that I see on the Beach Cams look more north than anything.    Is it just the Beach cams perspective or is Windy a bit off today.     

What apps do you guys use to check the wind ?

Windy.jpg

I use windy but just google sandy hook bouy and check wind

2 hours ago, captnemo58 said:

Mixed day of fishing yesterday as in surf and boat 

We delayed our launching from Keyport from 7:30am until after the mist and fog thinned.

I fished the local back bay beaches and landed bass on poppers up to 26 inches. Lots of smaller fish around. 

We made it out to discover a bay fishing armada around 11-11:30.

While approaching we passed a small school of bunker that was being harassed. 

we quickly hooked up to a 49 inch Fat monster. Quickly and safely released 

Arrived to the large fleet of boats. Most following a large school of bunker. Obvious swirls and rushes here and there within the school

Saw many fish caught and released. No crazy blitz but a steady pick for those who followed the school. I don’t go on boats often but with three of us fishing I guess we averaged a BIG fish every 30 or so minutes.

We tried live eels and assorted lures. No luck. Live lining was key

I was pleasantly surprised how quickly most fishermen released the big fish. A very positive sign that we are getting the message. I did not witness one floater!!!

Three of us ended with 8 big fish include 2 at 37 and one at 38 inches for tonight’s dinner ( 3 of us on boat / None of us are related and we have our own families that love fresh fish). 

37 was the smallest fish of the day not counting earlier surf fishing with poppers. 

Remember to spend some time reviving these big girls before releasing! We all want action in future years! 

can you explain to me how the large party boats are going to do this?

fyi. We are first time ever over 100 pages on report thread (i think)

Thanks for all the replies for the Wind Apps.  I was really looking for some free app that I can  use to check before I  run out of the house.   I did add the Windfinder free app to my phone and I usually check Windy and NOAA before I go out.

Thanks for all the responses  

3 mins ago, UncleJohn said:

Thanks for all the replies for the Wind Apps.  I was really looking for some free app that I can  use to check before I  run out of the house.   I did add the Windfinder free app to my phone and I usually check Windy and NOAA before I go out.

Do yourself a favor and get F i sh Weather (its free). It has every bit of information you need as a fisherman. Live wind, wind forecast, temps, pressure, tides, wave height, etc. 

Edited by DragonsLax48

3 hours ago, captnemo58 said:

I was pleasantly surprised how quickly most fishermen released the big fish. A very positive sign that we are getting the message. I did not witness one floater!!!

Three of us ended with 8 big fish include 2 at 37 and one at 38 inches for tonight’s dinner ( 3 of us on boat / None of us are related and we have our own families that love fresh fish). 

38 inch fish is an over.... just saving you the hassle of finding out the hard way.  Sounds like a great day, boats are on em as usual 

MoCo sometime way too early until 2:30.  Slow start to the day with nothing happening within casting range.  Got to stare down several pods of bunker being harassed by bass about 2 casts lengths away.  I even brought my 11 foot stick! 

As the day progressed the water developed a north to south sweep.  Used that to my advantage and landed two nice fish in four casts.  That ten minutes was the only action on the day. 

Water was dirtying up pretty fast where I was when I left. 

Edited by Bluetaildragger

12 mins ago, UncleJohn said:

The windy app has been pretty good to me the day of

4 hours ago, BobBass said:

There are some laws in Europe that you fish until you catch a keeper- you take your keeper, and you stop fishing. This reduces C&R mortality. I don't think it's a bad idea but it will never work here in the states. This is my dad's way, doesn't matter if its the first cast, if you land a keeper- take it and leave. Then he may not fish for 5 months lol

Never happen but if just left big bass alone in spring and don’t stress the females before they spawn would be nice. Water quality in the Chesapeake is huge issue and they are trying down there to correct 

Definitely a little sporty out now. Just got back to the truck. Wind is well over 20 here. Bass are there tho. One keeper. Few shorts. Water isn’t dirty yet. 

Went back to where I had them previously wind is now howling 30 gusting to 40 out of the NNE tried a bit but then it was becoming stupidly unsafe so a did a modified crab walk off the rocks; found a place a bit protected and caught some hickories and small bluefish did see big blobs of rainfish around no bunker; even that location became a bit iffy so I packed it in early 

all in all a fun day but will not be fishable out front tonight and will be dirtied up tomorrow