UncleJohn

October 2020 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

1,520 posts in this topic

it's October !!!  Go time ...

Report as little or as much detail as you would like to provide the reader but please don't post specific street names or areas.

A specific spot is too much information!
It's not like telling a friend or two, posting it here is telling thousands. Doing so only creates crowds, garbage, and loss of our spots.

Try to keep other conversations, inquires, and rants in separate threads.

For example, you can say that you caught fish in Ocean County but saying that you got them at Ocean Beach is a no-no.

The terms to use are..........

Monmouth County
Ocean County
Atlantic County
Cape May County
North Jersey for the Hudson and other backwaters.

County name plus "In the back" for Inlets, Rivers, and Bays.

Under the full moon I will sacrifice a chicken to the sea and pray to the Tuna God to bring in some chicken of the sea closer to the beaches. 

Ps I’m thinking about KFC or maybe Popeyes so no actual animals will be harmed. 

Fished dead low. Didn’t really fish but walked the beach with a rod for a couple of miles at full moon dead low checking out cuts and bowls, water has cleaned up miles of bunker around, no mullet, peanuts or sand eels; some rainfish-water really warm and wind has come around SSW so nice chop/ roll. Someone will find fish after dark. 

If there will be Albies they will be soon

suntzu you're right about the birds scattering the bait. I also was out at low checking the cuts etc. I think tomorrow am or tonight is going to be a good time fishing.

Skunked at 3 different spots outback Middlesex County 11:00 AM to 3:30PM. Not even a bump. (Snapper blues don't count) No bait visible at any of the locations.

1 hour ago, ND74 said:

Skunked at 3 different spots . (Snapper blues don't count) 

Neither do dink post season fluke 

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, jetty eddy said:

suntzu you're right about the birds scattering the bait. I also was out at low checking the cuts etc. I think tomorrow am or tonight is going to be a good time fishing.

There’s also been a bunch of bluefin crashing bunker in, very very close.  I would not be all that surprised if that is what you saw. Action slowed down in September but I hear they’re still around.

Also a friendly reminder to crush your barbs.  Was lifting a fish to unhook it and thought to myself I should really crush these. immediately took a treble into the base of my thumb and almost came all the way back outabout a half inch away.  Was on my bike and 30 min from home without cutters so had to bite down and back her out myself.  Biked home, dumped some vodka the wound, took a swig and then back out to catch some more bass.  Fishing was fun but the thumb is gonna be sore tomorrow.

Edited by bbfish

Fished Mon. County 3 to 7, inlet water looked like chocolate milk, headed north up the beach plugging away and skunked.  No birds, no bait, no fish.  Only saw one small fish caught and headed home for dinner! 

Took my daughter to the beach with me today.   It was not a fishing trip but a daddy daughter outing.  I narrowly escaped a  skunk for the 1/2 hour I fished with a fluke.   I also seen the first meaningful pods of mullet heading south in the beach lip and as my daughter stood next to me a decent size bass crash them and nearly beaching itself doing it.   That was fun to watch and my little girl yelled out 'Daddy look at that!"   One day I will teach her everything I know and I live for the day she'll take that knowledge then out fish me.  

Earlier in the day I shot some drone footage of a peanut bunker pod all balled up.  At the end you see the pod part with a fish cruise through it.  

IMG_1574 2.jpeg

bent_rod.jpg

Edited by pressphotog

OC out front 9-11PM.   Smelled fishy but got only one bite but it was a screamer that pulled some drag.  It caught me off-guard.  After fighting it for a few minutes and getting it close enough to see it looked like a solid keeper bass but it came unbuttoned before I had a chance to grab the leader and a wave swept it away.  :cry:  Was using a slim Tsunami shad and black teaser.  Not sure which one the fish was hooked to.  Otherwise, not even a tap.  

Pleasant night out with a west wind on my back and the bright moon behind clouds. 

Edited by GeoffT

Starting october off with a bang.  Thanks to @DeeMonee for the confidence.   I still suck. 

bounced around tk areas that usually hold stripes but not a tap.  Might have heard of one fish caught.  Its like a light switch

47 mins ago, Goldy said:

Starting october off with a bang.  Thanks to @DeeMonee for the confidence.   I still suck. 

bounced around tk areas that usually hold stripes but not a tap.  Might have heard of one fish caught.  Its like a light switch

Start golfing more often. 

Check out the water yesterday afternoon. It looked great. Rolling white water. Surfers had all the good bars locked up. Headed a little north but surfers galore. Didn’t even get suited up for fear of confrontation. Hey they were there first. Gonna hit it late tonight around 2am with the falling tide as long as the south wind isn’t to bad

1 hour ago, Eeeeels said:

Check out the water yesterday afternoon. It looked great. Rolling white water. Surfers had all the good bars locked up. Headed a little north but surfers galore. Didn’t even get suited up for fear of confrontation. Hey they were there first. Gonna hit it late tonight around 2am with the falling tide as long as the south wind isn’t to bad

Respectful decision. Great attitude