webfoot44

Portable air compressor

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

I have Viair in my truck, used for airbags and tires, not much more than that.  12v DC

I used California Air Tools compressor for running pneumatic equipment in my office, 120v AC, very quiet.

I have 80 gal, 2 stage air compressor under my shop, plumbed for air, 230vAC 3 phase

It really depends on your power source.

I have a Ryobi hand held rechargable works great size of 1/4in still. Uses 18v Lith-ion recharge battery. For smaller tires like snow blower or bicycles great. A complete auto flat zero-30lb is much slower. 

47 mins ago, MattieG said:

If your looking for a cigarette 12v harbor freight has a few options. I also have one of their jump packs which has a compressor too. 

What is your opinion of the jump pack/ compressor ?

1 hour ago, riggler said:

What is your opinion of the jump pack/ compressor ?

I've had a year and a half maybe, keep it in the truck incase of emergency. I've used it maybe 4-5 times, and it hasn't failed yet. 

2 hours ago, MattieG said:

If your looking for a cigarette 12v harbor freight has a few options. I also have one of their jump packs which has a compressor too. 

I had one, it blew the fuse every time I used it.

6 mins ago, AlwaysWading said:

I had one, it blew the fuse every time I used it.

For a 12V compressor you really want something that clamps directly to the battery. 

7 mins ago, Eagles Dare said:

For a 12V compressor you really want something that clamps directly to the battery. 

yep ,it eventually blew the 12v cig. plug as well.

5 hours ago, oldgoat said:

I've seen older cars with air that was turned into air compressor that could blow up tires really fast.

But you have to give up car air conditioning.

I believe most added a second air conditioner compressor with another bracket. They had more room under the hood years ago. Lots of trucks didn’t have AC so the stock bracket would work.

For most portable compressor, you'll need to mod it a bit to use a standard 1/4 npt type air hose that's one some of the popular beaches like demo.   Need a 1/4 female npt quick connect coupler on the compressor end.   1/4 male npt to hose to air chuck. This way, you can just use one hose for everything.