NHAngler

Who’s Still In?

Rate this topic

88 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

After last weekend, I’m pumped to keep going. I did make the mistake of 1/2 winterizing my boat last Sunday. I will be yakking it for short trips and on other boats for as long as I come home smelling like fish. 

Who else is still playing?

Eventually I will get back to my tree stand in the woods but my first two trips were discouraging. 

Edited by NHAngler

I drove down to Surfland this afternoon and bought 30 mackerel.   I'll be good for about 2-3 more weeks.    

I am off 12 days as of Saturday, from what I have seen, seems like the big push of fish (BIG FISH) was around from the end of August till about a week ago. I hope I am wrong, but the pictures and videos I saw, and my own two cents, lead me to believe those fish are not around. Haven't seen a lot of blitzes yet, but, last year only saw a few.  Fishing sure and the hell isn't getting any better...

Two mornings ago, had a nice blitz with a glorious sunrise on calm waters. Fish were 15-20”....caught on a fly rod. 
no sight of the fat lady singing yet. 

I'm still in and hope the blow yesterday didn't end it.  I'll be checking things out later today.  The latest I've caught bass has been Oct 3 in both 2018 & 2019.  Hope to "break" that record this year...

I usually would still be in but my last couple outings were almost all sub-20" fish. I think I've beat up on them enough this season. I'm going to call it and focus on deer, which I don't usually do this early. I never saw or heard of any of the larger fish you guys up the ME coast were catching being caught around here on the border. 

I'll stay in because due to parking restrictions I didn't fish as much as usual. Been getting reasonable schoolies, >20" from time to time the past week which is fine on my 8 weight, and have often encountered October blitzes in certain spots in the past. I'll give it a couple more weeks...

I hope to get another trip in or two.  I've had good action my past 2 outings, although mostly small fish like a few others have mentioned.  But it's a long winter!

I'll stay at it for another week or so.  Agree that the bigger fish seemed to have moved on.  Still catching consistently but the size is dwindling.  in my neck of the woods anyway.

Deer season close, 

J

I caught 3 slots on Saturday. Took all day to find them and also started the day looking for cod. ...but I also left feeding fish as i had a guest and was trying to not burn him out.  Hint: don’t only fish where you have been fishing all summer - try those alternate spots and never assume what these silly fish may be thinking. Also, while you may be looking for blitzes, birds, and larger signals of feeding fish, activity can be very subtle and your side scanning sonar can be a great tool for locating bait and fish.

Good morning.  Lots of small feisty fish.  That 18-22 range nice and aggressive.  Just south of Portland.  Little on the chilly side and the surf was a little too quiet.  Probably my last day suited up, maybe a couple half hearted dry trips....

I'm getting 0-1 a day with virtually no other hits the past 6 days.   If I hadn't bought a bunch of macs at Surfland last week, I'd be thinking of hanging it up.   I'll go one more week just to get rid of the bait.