Guacbowl

Stradic FL handle slop

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

My Stradic arrived today, and I was pretty excited for the upgrade.... Until I put the handle on it and spun it around for a bit.

I noticed a clicking sound while reeling. Tried to see if it was related to the top and bottom of the spool oscillation. It was not.

Then I realized that the clicking was coming from the play/slop in the handle (or where it interfaces with the gears). Everything else seems smooth, but I'm a tad disappointed that this thing clicks so much.

Is that normal for this reel, or is it cause for concern? Send it back?

Posted (edited) · Report post

mayb go utube and check if the clicking sound is normal? thats what i do when i found something is wrong on reel..

Edited by Tourstage

It should be silent and have minimal gear lash.   Return it

I just got mine 5000 FL. Same thing, there is some slop in the handle before the main gear engages the pinion. No in and out play just 1-2mm slop before it engages the gear. You can definitely feel it in the handle when stop and go retrieving.

Could this be because of different gear tooth layout with the xg vs the slower jdm models?... I think Scooby's raving review was of a JDM FL.

2 hours ago, Guacbowl said:

Could this be because of different gear tooth layout with the xg vs the slower jdm models?... I think Scooby's raving review was of a JDM FL.

Interesting. That is very possible. I don't remember my FKs ever doing this. 

Definitely not normal. My Fl doesn’t  really have any handle slop at all. My reel is not JDM and I doubt the cause of the issue stems from the different gear ratios. 

I have a brand new USA Stradic FL 3000xg and it has no noticeable slop and is silent.....no clicking at top, bottom, or otherwise.. Having fished with much older spinner until recently I am actually quite impressed.