Straighten a Vintage Surf Rod

Rate this topic

Birdsnester

I'd save the heat gun for a last ditch effort

Maybe tape it to a length of copper pipe and run a garage sale blowdryer (not the wifes good one) on it for an hour or so ?

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

21 hours ago, Sudsy said:

I'd save the heat gun for a last ditch effort

Maybe tape it to a length of copper pipe and run a garage sale blowdryer (not the wifes good one) on it for an hour or so ?

You could make a steamer tube ? 
Attach the rod to something straight and stick it into the tube . 
Kind of the way they steam oak to make a bent back chair.   I don’t know if it would work, but you could try it ? ? ?

19 hours ago, spoonplugger1 said:

Cutting the tip will only increase the lower end limit on the weight you can throw, it will in no way effect the final power of the rod. If it's not a heaver now, it never will be.

Is that true?  I thought guys did this all the time to change the characteristics of the rod.  Well if that is not the answer then I’ll try straightening it.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 6:43 PM, Birdsnester said:

So I bought this 13’ and change, it looks like S glass rod.  It came stripped down aside from the reel seat.  It was not disclosed to me that it has a curve.

Bummer!  It’s fairly close to the tip as one would expect.   Well, I don’t like the curve and want to straighten it if that is even possible.

is it?

if you could hang it by the tip then blow dryer?

HH

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

5 hours ago, Birdsnester said:

If it s that easy wouldn’t it just bend back to its original shape?  Dunno,  might cut it down and make it a chunker 

what I would do is tape it to something stiff and straight then blow dryer it.

HH

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

I have this super old fiberglass noodlerod I got free from work. Thing is ainchent. One guide left on it I removed that and the handle. I wanted a noodlerod to screw around in freshwater with but I couldnt find anything like this. There is probably a 5 or 6 degree bend 3/4 of the way up. Im gonna try the water pipe method and ill post the results.

1 hour ago, jsid6g said:

Try it out,  if it cast use it , the fish will never know about it , 

as I see it , only my 2 CTS.   on it ,

The problem is that it’s not built yet LoL.  So I am trying to avoid straightening it the finishing it all to have it fail