Birdsnester

Straighten a Vintage Surf Rod

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

So I bought this 13’ and change, it looks like S glass rod.  It came stripped down aside from the reel seat.  It was not disclosed to me that it has a curve.

Bummer!  It’s fairly close to the tip as one would expect.   Well, I don’t like the curve and want to straighten it if that is even possible.

is it?

20 mins ago, spoonplugger1 said:

How much of a curve are we talking about?

Somewhere between 5 and 10 degrees I would think

A trick I learned here a bunch of years ago.. If you have access to a long run of a hot water pipe, like along the ceiling of a basement, duct tape the rod onto it making sure the bend is straightened out. In a week or two it'll be straight again.

Reminds me, I loaned an S Glass to my father who left it leaning against a fence in the sun for who knows how long, all kinds of bent now

Just now, Sudsy said:

A trick I learned here a bunch of years ago.. If you have access to a long run of a hot water pipe, like along the ceiling of a basement, duct tape the rod onto it making sure the bend is straightened out. In a week or two it'll be straight again.

It can’t be that easy, can it?  No heat?

Just now, Sudsy said:

Reminds me, I loaned an S Glass to my father who left it leaning against a fence in the sun for who knows how long, all kinds of bent now

Ya know all you need is a piece of plumbing pipe.  :witty:

3 mins ago, Surf bomber said:

If it's minor and not that long is cutting It off an option but I would try the heat application first 

I really like the length and action as it is.  I’d have to cut off about a foot.  I guess I’ll try heating it and then taping it to something straight like tubing

3 hours ago, spoonplugger1 said:

Get it to hot and the blank is toast, hot water pipe will run around 120 degrees. 

Interesting considering blanks are baked in an oven at 300

2 hours ago, Billy 40 said:

Interesting considering blanks are baked in an oven at 300

I don't have access to a Hot Water Pipe so my thought was to heat it with a heat gun while duct taped to a straight surface like a tube.  Any thoughts on this, do you think it might work?  The curve irritates me lol

to straighten warpage or twist in long fiberglass surfboards you leave them in a hot car with weights attached appropriately. I would bet you could do something similar with the rod taped to something rigid and straight? but if its one piece, not going to work.  I would think you should heat the blank uniformly and i'm not sure a heat gun would do that without a lot of back and forth and rotating motion.

I wasn't saying 120 degrees would do it as I had no idea what kind of resin holds that blank together, could have been phenolic for all I know, someone else said they had success at hot water pipe temps. I have seen more blanks damaged than saved using heat and I was just trying to add some info on where it might be prudent to start.

6 hours ago, spoonplugger1 said:

I wasn't saying 120 degrees would do it as I had no idea what kind of resin holds that blank together, could have been phenolic for all I know, someone else said they had success at hot water pipe temps. I have seen more blanks damaged than saved using heat and I was just trying to add some info on where it might be prudent to start.

I think I can say this.  I’ll heat it and clamp it between two straight boards or tape it straight to a tube and it f it doesn’t work I’ll cut it down and make it a heaver.