Califulltiltfishing

Best braid for 4K-5k size reel

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

Trying to match a braid to penn slammer 3 4500 paired with my 11ft odm genesis 1-4oz rod .I’ve tried about 6 different braids so far mostly expensive ones in the 30# range the only one I haven’t tried so far is power pro All the braids I’ve tried are giving me little distance and lots of wind knots I’m at the end of my rope here and ready to sell reel at this point 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Have you tried Suffix 832?  I've been using it since it came out. Never had any problems with it.  That being said wind knots are not necessarily the fault of the line.  Spool could be overfilled. Or it could the plug you are casting and the wind and the way you are casting.  I recall having problems when trying to cast a lighter plug in some wind farther than really possible. Basically the line is coming off the spool faster than the plug is going out and it gets tangled up.  I have that same reel with 30lb braid on a 9' rod and have had no issues.

Edited by 40shades-of-blue

14# Fireline will fix all your issues!

That is the only line I have ever been able to get to work on Penn spinners without issue....

What 6 expensive braids have you tried? Just curious, as I find it hard to believe they all have given you trouble.  Personally I fish 20# braid on those size reels, but that's me.  I go to 30 and up on 8000 size.  Penn, shimano, daiwa.  Granted they can be different reel sizes between brands. Rarely do I have problems,  but sometimes it happens.

I have used many braid brands and typically find problems when I over spool,  using light lures and forget to re tighten the line (say cast a heavy sinker and reel it in) have a loop over the spool when retrieving without noticing or a bad wind throwing large bows in the line each cast.  As you can see mostly user error or laziness on my part.

Maybe the guides are to small up at the tip  and not letting the line out.

To much friction up at the top of the rod.

Could be bad line lay or overfilling the spool. those two are the main causes of wind knots. Trying another braid won’t make a difference. I like original power pro. 20-30lb for that reel

Edited by Justinj

I use that same setup.  If I get a knot at the top it is because of line twist.  Then I  free line the spool with nothing on it to get the twist out.  But thats the only time I get them, 

Tube and worm is the number one cause of line twist.  There are other lures that twist the line also. 

Edited by ccb

41 mins ago, Califulltiltfishing said:

Haven’t tried suffix but what you describe how line is coming off faster than plug can travel sounds spot on to what is happening when I cast 

Well give it another try with what you have on there before spending more money on another spool of line. Make sure it’s not over spooled. There are two gold circles going around the spool. I think that is the mark where it’s fully spooled. At least that is how I did mine and it works fine. Slow down your cast a bit and let the rod load and do the work and see how it goes. 

Edited by 40shades-of-blue