Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

I am looking to purchase an Okuma Rockaway RA-S-902M for jetty fishing. It has a line rating of 10-17lb and a lure rating of 1/2-1 1/2oz. I am wanting to pair this up with either a Daiwa BG or a Penn Battle II. I know the Diawa runs a little big but I don’t have a way to test the setup before ordering.  No stores near me.  Wanted you guys opinion on what size reel would fit the rod best. I normally throw pretty light stuff 3/8-1/2 oz with the occasional 1 1/2-2oz dropper setup. I will probably try to run braid if possible. Just wanted any suggestions. Thanks. 

This has little to do with the reels mentioned here but more to do with the size. I have no issue with a 4k reel for the bay and light work but If your intention is to fish the 9 footer out front in bigger water , I think you are doing yourself a disservice with such a small reel. Not sure of your intentions but a battle 2 5 k is more ideal imo. 

I have the rod 3500 Diawa  or 4000 penn. Nothing bigger. I have a shimano 4000 and its perfect.  Great rod for the price by the way light tip but still has backbone to turn a decent fish.

I suggest you take the rod to a good shop near where you fish and try both reels in different sizes. A good shop would carry both. Try them on the rod. Get them filled with line and you are good to go. This is where actual tackle shops shine. You get to see and feel. You will know what you prefer as opposed to one of us on SOL prefer. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Yeah unfortunately we have no good tackle shops around where I live. I may call around out of the area to see if there are any other places.  I appreciate the help guys. This will be used strictly jetty with maybe some surf until I decide if I want to buy a larger surf setup. As far as anything outside of the bay I have too many setups as it is. Moving to Oregon has changed much of the type of fishing I do. The Diawa bg spec wise looks like a great fit. My only worry is I have read about the bearings not being completely sealed as opposed to penn. Any thoughts?  I Don’t  want to spend much over 200 for the setup as climbing the rocks takes a toll on gear. 

Edited by Shaneh2487

17 hours ago, Shaneh2487 said:

Yeah unfortunately we have no good tackle shops around where I live. I may call around out of the area to see if there are any other places.  I appreciate the help guys. This will be used strictly jetty with maybe some surf until I decide if I want to buy a larger surf setup. As far as anything outside of the bay I have too many setups as it is. Moving to Oregon has changed much of the type of fishing I do. The Diawa bg spec wise looks like a great fit. My only worry is I have read about the bearings not being completely sealed as opposed to penn. Any thoughts?  I Don’t  want to spend much over 200 for the setup as climbing the rocks takes a toll on gear. 

Where are you in Oregon? There is a lot of good perch fishing from Newport all the way up to Rockaway. You can use a steelhead rod with a 2500 to 4000 reel And do really well.

53 mins ago, Otony said:

Where are you in Oregon? There is a lot of good perch fishing from Newport all the way up to Rockaway. You can use a steelhead rod with a 2500 to 4000 reel And do really well.

I’m out in Tillamook so Rockaway isn’t too far. I fish the Barview jetty but haven’t done too much surf. I would like to try my hand at the surf though.  What kinda of setup and weight work well?

Edited by Shaneh2487

I’d say you’d be fine with just a 3000. That would be a really light combo but it would handle anything you’re likely to get into.  I doubt you’d ever feel outgunned. They’re tough little reels

15 hours ago, Shaneh2487 said:

I’m out in Tillamook so Rockaway isn’t too far. I fish the Barview jetty but haven’t done too much surf. I would like to try my hand at the surf though.  What kinda of setup and weight work well?

Pretty much anything will work, but I’m using a Penn Fierce II 4000 with a Calico Jack inshore rod. You don’t have to do anything special though, my kids use a Shimano IX4000R reel and an Ugly Stik, which is going to cost you way less than a 100 bucks total. I just picked up a Penn Fierce III 2500 which I’m going to use with 12 pound braid and an Eagle Claw glass rod, just to have fun using lighter gear.

On a 4000 reel I use 20 pound braid, Gulp sand worms (works awesome) or your favorite bait, a #4 or #2 hook (some use a 1/0), and a 2 oz weight. Cast just beyond the breakers. Limit is 15 per day.

Be careful if you get in the water, Oregon coast is well known for rip tides and sneaker waves, but you shouldn’t be doing more than getting your feet wet.

As you are going up the highway to Rockaway, just a few minutes past the Tillamook Cheese Company you will hit Bay City. Take a left onto the tiny pier, there is an oyster processing company called The Fish Peddler out at the end that has an amazing restaurant and seafood store. They sometimes have all you can eat oysters, either fried, sautéed, or baked. I’ve hurt myself in there a time or two.

You will pass through Garibaldi before you get to Tillamook. Ask around for a tiny restaurant that serves all you can eat fish & chips, the Fisherman’s Korner. They will tell you to order the standard serving, and if you can finish THAT, they will upgrade you to the all you can eat. Gigantic portions.

Edited by Otony

By the way, that Rockaway rod should be nice, I have a 12’ Rockaway, and want to get a 10’ as well. The 9 footer would probably be a good match for a BG 3500