Capt.Castafly

Albie Fishing in the Balance

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

As we all know life's a balance whether it is work or family.

There's enough stuff always going on to juggle our time when life demands it.

But what about leisure time fishing for albies? Should we have to balance our time there?

These guys have to not only balance there time, but every second they fly fish off their boards.

More power to them. It's only for the young at heart.

I can't imagine me getting a wheel chair bolted to a board and fish.  

I bet several people here know these men?

Click on the link below.

Paddle_Board.wmv

Bravo I say!

I have a boat I've been trying to get on the water for 2 years. And it'll still probably ready just in time for next years end of season.

But some how these gents figured out a way to enjoy the water and the albies. I tip my hat to them and wish I was that smart.

As a kayaker myself, I sure do appreciate the guts of guys who are going out there with even less of a watercraft, because one unexpected squall and it could get real ugly.

However, after that first guy had his fingers all up in that albie's gills for who knows how long before the camera even started, I'm not taking any bets on how long it survived. Unless you are planning to eat it, all fish deserve proper handling before release. 

8 hours ago, thermoklein said:

However, after that first guy had his fingers all up in that albie's gills for who knows how long before the camera even started, I'm not taking any bets on how long it survived. Unless you are planning to eat it, all fish deserve proper handling before release. 

Please trust I treat these fish with as much care as possible.

What you don't see is a deeply hooked fish that may not have even had a chance to survive if it wasn't controlled as much as possible to get to the hook. And yes, there is a difference between gills and gill plates. What I was doing was controlling its head from shaking while keeping its mouth open to get at the hook. The video only captures the end of the process. 

I think we can agree that life is generally more pleasant for everyone when we assume people are acting appropriately before assuming they're not.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 9/29/2020 at 4:23 PM, Capt.Castafly said:

As we all know life's a balance whether it is work or family.

There's enough stuff always going on to juggle our time when life demands it.

But what about leisure time fishing for albies? Should we have to balance our time there?

These guys have to not only balance there time, but every second they fly fish off their boards.

More power to them. It's only for the young at heart.

I can't imagine me getting a wheel chair bolted to a board and fish.  

I bet several people here know these men?

Click on the link below.

Paddle_Board.wmv

24 mins ago, Ambergris said:

Please trust I treat these fish with as much care as possible.

What you don't see is a deeply hooked fish that may not have even had a chance to survive if it wasn't controlled as much as possible to get to the hook. And yes, there is a difference between gills and gill plates. What I was doing was controlling its head from shaking while keeping its mouth open to get at the hook. The video only captures the end of the process. 

I think we can agree that life is generally more pleasant for everyone when we assume people are acting appropriately before assuming they're not.

Yeah ... I think the point being made is that a small Boston Whaler would be as paddle board small as  I would be willing to go. 

Been rethinking my jetty fishing too ... as in I probably could not afford a fall ... Korkers and all.

Edited by KironaFly

To Ambergris -

My apologies if I seem “attacking” or overly judgmental. I’m always careful not to be personal on boards, especially when I have limited info. The camera angle makes it tough to see how far in your fingers are/were. I’ve dealt with a deep-hooked fish myself and it’s not always easy. I get that. So maybe I had this one wrong. Unfortunately I do see lots of examples of poor fish handling and if I think I see it I tend to call it out.

Respect on the board. You have some cojones. 

Hey - No sweat, I understand. Every fish is hooked differently and I'm sure you know how it goes...when they're hooked badly you have an amateur surgical dance with them. I leave those moments feeling guilty, with any species, when the hook is in a bad spot.