chitala383

Looking for a new grill /smoker

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

So at it sits right now I do my grilling on a Vermont castings grill that I've converted to natural gas. For smoking I have an older masterbuilt electric smoker which I've added a sidecar to. The masterbuilt is for heat, the sidecar is for smoke. The heating element in the masterbuilt doesn't burn chips well unless you're up over 300°, which I don't like. So I built a sidecar out of a small used helium tank. Fire it up with charcoal then add chunk wood for smoke. 

Anyway, I'm looking to upgrade and want to get something nice. Preferably something that I can grill and smoke on. I have a few friends who have komado Joe's and love them. But for me, with 3 young kids, and not a lot of spare time, that might not be practical. I had my eye on the yoder smoker 480s. It burns pellets for heat and smoke. According to their website you can grill with it too. A few YouTube channels I watch use yoders.

Anyone have any experience with any yoder units? Any other units I should be looking at? Maybe convince me to get a Joe?

I have a large Big Green Egg.  I love the versatility to do large cuts of meat, pizza or just a few burgers.  It will last forever. With young kids you might be cooking for birthday parties, sports teams, etc. It is nice to be able to throw a pork butt on, not hover over it for 10 hrs and be able to feed 12 people.  

10 hours ago, chitala383 said:

The recteqs do look pretty nice, way cheaper than a yoder too. They seem to have pretty much all of the same features as well.

From what I hear,they are built like a tank. And can be controlled even if you are 100 miles way.

As to being cheaper in price, they do not use retailers so by-pass the middle man and put the money into the components.

I have an egg too and use it a lot but I do like the idea of set it and forget it and go about your day on a long cook. 

I’ll probably go pellet when the time comes. 

Is Traeger any good?

5 mins ago, Kml said:

Is Traeger any good?

I have a low end one and it often gives me grief. It goes way high in temp or stops. If I had it

to do over again, I would go with a higher end one with the wifi and the ability to sear ect. So yeah,

don't bother with a low end one.

5 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

From what I hear,they are built like a tank. And can be controlled even if you are 100 miles way.

As to being cheaper in price, they do not use retailers so by-pass the middle man and put the money into the components.

The more I look at them the more I like the recteqs. The hopper is bigger than a comparable yoder, and the wireless feature is awesome. I don't think the size yoder I would get has wireless capabilities.

24 mins ago, Seakarp said:

I have a low end one and it often gives me grief. It goes way high in temp or stops. If I had it

to do over again, I would go with a higher end one with the wifi and the ability to sear ect. So yeah,

don't bother with a low end one.

35 mins ago, Kml said:

Is Traeger any good?

You get what you pay for I guess. I haven't heard very good things about Traeger.