dannyplug1

Shrimp flys for stripers

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

I was out a few nights ago.  We were fishing in a back eddy that was shallow and filled wi5h eel grass.  Didn’t get any fish but did see a bunch of guys with small nets getting grass shrimp.  I have always used flys that imitate baitfish like a rays fly or deceiver.  Two part question.  What’s a good fly to imitate the shrimp and what kind of retrieve.  The place we were fishing was a tiny outflow with tons of eel grass.  Water was moving slowly out to the bay as the tide dropped..  I have a floating line as the area was fairly shallow a foot or two deep at the most.  Thanks for any advice.  Charlie

There are lots of shrimp fly imitations. If striper are keying in on them then they only have to really meet the profile dimensions. You could tie something as simple as a wooley bugger if you get the general color and size right. Best approach for fishing them I have found is a dead drift with a twitch on the outgoing tide. Alternatively I will tie one as a dropper off the bend of the hook on a Jack Gartside gurgler. The gurgler noise draws them in but often they eat the grass shrimp.

how do you fish them if you are in the dark.  The gurgler method would it work if you couldn't see the fly/  would you use a wet fly type swing and twitch it as you are down stream quavering the fly?

11 mins ago, dannyplug1 said:

how do you fish them if you are in the dark.  The gurgler method would it work if you couldn't see the fly/  would you use a wet fly type swing and twitch it as you are down stream quavering the fly?

Here's a bunch of resources I think will be helpful. Do searches for:

Grass Shrimp Solution fly (pictured below)

Black General Practitioner

Micro Gurlger Shrimp fly

How to tie and fish dropper rigs stripers

soft hackles for striped bass

The bass will tell you how they want the flies presented. The vast majority of the time I use a dead drift, a mended swing, or a dangle in the current below my position. I hope this helps. :-)

Steve Culton

Stripers love this fly when they're eating grass shrimp. I tie it from size 6 to 10.

GrassShrimpSolution.jpeg.ff2d7589d1681dbf040886e5c56e64f3.jpeg

You may not be able to see the fly, but the bass will detect it without any difficulty, probably by the lateral line. Gartside originally made the fly tobe a subsurface swimmer, I believe.

After storms the shrimp get moving around, If some these top water or eel types don't work, try crab patterns. Nights I like poppers and gurglers

IMG_0971.jpg

007.JPG

I would tie a small ( #1 ) pink shrimp ( weightless ) off the hook of a Gurgler and after the twitch let it suspend a while in the moving water , roll cast would be fine if distance is not an issue 

13 mins ago, stormy monday said:

I use this down in SC and in Me. for LMB, but haven't used it for stripers, maybe I should...

agurg.jpg.31f52deebfa043b51da1cd8cb363ef88.jpg

Bottom looks like a Del's merkin take off( Permit and Bonefish candy)    Yes it would work on flats and estuaries, very very slow roll

Floating line.   You hear the pops because they are feeding on shrimp that drift around slowly near the surface.  Even on a floating line the shrimp flies can get too deep... so put a strike indicator 6 inches above the shrimp fly.  Throw it out to where you hear pops ...now you can't see the indicator or anything just maintain tension.  Don't retrieve.   Wait till you feel the line moving out or a tug and set the hook!   Huge fun at night ...takes patience and faith but it does work and the bass care less about the float just 6 inches above the fly!