Big Metal

Just thought I report what I think was a giant shark?

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Today about 2 pm, at parking lot 1, Plum Island, my brother, 2 other strangers and myself all saw what was a huge triangle gray fin with a feathered edge. It was like a equal triangle with no slope. With I rounded top.  It kind of just lazily moved very slowly, stopping and going under. It would circle back a few times and it’s single fin would pop right straight up for about 5-10 seconds and then disappear for about 30 seconds.  And there was a definite white color right below the fin under the surface. There were no other fins. I used my binoculars and watched it for about 10 minutes as it slowly work it’s way southward. It was downside of low tide and windy with some rough white caps. We were very amazed. It was alone. I have seen lots of dolphins in my life, sea turtles, rays, and seals. This was very big. Bigger than any fin I have usually seen. There were a few other people there too, but all were spread out looking elsewhere. A small kid was swimming, and one us asked who’s kid was that, I pointed out the lady, and someone went to tell her. Anyway. Maybe basking shark, or something. I caught 2 tiny schoolies. There were 4 other fisherman on the beach further north. I will never forget how big it was. 

Edited by Big Metal

Basking shark IMHO.

The large fin and lazy movement are the giveaways.  I've seen them before myself and then took my boat (back when I had one) over for a closer look.

Joe

Posted (edited) · Report post

35 mins ago, Pescador710 said:

Did the shark seem drunk? Like it was a bit wobbly? Or did the fin slice through the water straight?

Very slow. It was like it was rolling side to side. Like it was feeding. 

Edited by Big Metal

14 hours ago, Big Metal said:

Very slow. It was like it was rolling side to side. Like it was feeding. 

Mola Mola AKA ocean sunfish. See the other two thread about them right here in this section.