natejeep

Binoculars

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

I’m looking into getting some binoculars to keep in my truck for when I drive around and possibly go on hikes with.Not looking for anything crazy big or bulky and would like to stay around the $200 mark. What would you recommend? Thanks.

I highly recommend Leupold Yosemite 

8x30. Around $130. I did a thorough search a few years ago and they came out on top in reviews for a moderate priced pair. 

Just now, ecks said:

I highly recommend Leupold Yosemite 

8x30. Around $130. I did a thorough search a few years ago and they came out on top in reviews for a moderate priced pair. 

These are terrific binos that swing way above their weight class.  I have the 6x version and like them just a big more than the 8x.

If you are looking for a roof prism design I think you'd have to look far and wide to beat the Sightron BLue sky 8x32 or its clone, the Theron Wapiti 8x32.  Both are well under 200 and IMO IME easily  hang with glass 2x -3x their price.

Everyone's eyes are different, of course.  

but if you dont want to go down the rabbit hole of optics, you cant go wrong with any of the 3 above.  

Nikon Monarch 5  8x42 , You can get them factory refurbished for just under 200.00, usually a little under 400.00 new.

In the birding world they're considered a standard in lower priced Binoculars. Lots people using a 3K pair  on a trip, have a backup set of these in the vehicle.

We have 2 pairs of 5's, and a pair of Monarch 7's , never an issue.

Thank you everyone, I will look into all of these.. If it matters which I’m not sure it will, I do wear glasses and my eye sights horrible at that. 

1 hour ago, squidder 329 said:

I have Vortex Diamondback met all my needs and an outstanding guarantee including if you drive over them. 

I have the new 8x32 HD’s and I love them. They are the perfect size for northeast whitetail hunting and let in plenty of light for my needs. 

1 hour ago, natejeep said:

Thank you everyone, I will look into all of these.. If it matters which I’m not sure it will, I do wear glasses and my eye sights horrible at that. 

I hear you, I originally had 8x42 and noticed more difficulty in seeing and got another pair 10x42  which helped. But the actual issue is my cataracts are getting worse, annoying but some people can't see at all.  

I’ve got so many Bushnell, Nikon, then I’ve got my Steiners. My Steiners were the most I’ve ever spent on binoculars back in mid 2000’s bought them for the boat. They make top of the line, mine were about a grand Or more at the time. Although they do make cheaper options. 

I don't have a ton of experience judging binoculars, as I only have one set; but I am happy with my Nikon 8x42 Prostaff.  My only complaint is that the lens caps tend to come off of the strap.

I got Nikon's a few years ago and have absolutly loved them...crystal clear focus, precision adjustment  and comfortable in hand.  They've kept their vision quality through multiple seasons in my truck......