Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Captain Ahab

Lantern flies

22 posts in this topic

Was out today and the fish were going nuts eating the lantern flies that were falling in the water.  

Not good for catching but a cool sight as hundreds of fish put the feed bag on.

Got a few half hearted hits on a small black popper.  If I fly fished I would be tying some up right now.

Still might try with a casting float and some homemade creation

Captain Ahab, that's good to hear.   I'm a fly fisherman and since they don't seem to be going away anytime soon.  I'm planning on working on a couple of patterns over the winter and have them ready for next year's infestation.  Shooting for something like the second picture that 55555s posted.  I'm wondering if the red in the second set of wings acts as an attractor for fish.

Posted (edited) · Report post

11 hours ago, Philly said:

Captain Ahab, that's good to hear.   I'm a fly fisherman and since they don't seem to be going away anytime soon.  I'm planning on working on a couple of patterns over the winter and have them ready for next year's infestation.  Shooting for something like the second picture that 55555s posted.  I'm wondering if the red in the second set of wings acts as an attractor for fish.

I think that after looking at them in our pool the fish see mostly mottled black the red is on top of the wings.

If you tie one I will try it for ya:howdy:

Edited by Captain Ahab

They are already like a blight in Hunterdon, but I saw one in Morris the other day.  

I am eager to try them out as food for the kids pet lizards, but some insects accumulate and/or make toxins that could be harmful.  I guess fish eating them is a good start.   Any birds chomping on them?

8 mins ago, jkrock said:

Just heard they found some in MA this week.  never heard of them.  They are destructive?

Yup, they kill fruit trees. And they multiply like mad.

Posted (edited) · Report post

10 hours ago, 55555s said:

They are already like a blight in Hunterdon, but I saw one in Morris the other day.  

I am eager to try them out as food for the kids pet lizards, but some insects accumulate and/or make toxins that could be harmful.  I guess fish eating them is a good start.   Any birds chomping on them?

Cats and dogs eat them.  No issues so probably ok for the lizard 

Edited by Captain Ahab

18 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

Was out today and the fish were going nuts eating the lantern flies that were falling in the water.  

Not good for catching but a cool sight as hundreds of fish put the feed bag on.

Got a few half hearted hits on a small black popper.  If I fly fished I would be tying some up right now.

Still might try with a casting float and some homemade creation

How were those flies acting on the water IE were they active on the water or just setting there with wings folded . Knowing they've been found my way recently I'm going to imitate them . It would go a long way to know their reaction to being in the water to imitate them. Thanks in advance.

Mike 

1 hour ago, KidDkivahh said:

How were those flies acting on the water IE were they active on the water or just setting there with wings folded . Knowing they've been found my way recently I'm going to imitate them . It would go a long way to know their reaction to being in the water to imitate them. Thanks in advance.

Mike 

They are somewhat active - not thrashing around by any means.  They are on the surface tension of the water for the most part and looks like they move their legs around  - no hard ripples but definite movement