RyanPost

Does Fishing Suck?

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've been fishing a decent amount this fall and only gotten a few bass up to 35" I mainly fish Central NS, but I take trips south shore when the bite is good. Last week south shore got a push of big fish but I missed out on the action by a day. Has anyone been doing good with fishing Central Long island area? Why is fishing so bad? I see tons of bait I throw the small soft plastics, SPs, Poppers, the whole bag and don't get much action. Anyone notice this lately? Do I just suck?

Edited by RyanPost

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/28/2020 at 4:58 PM, RyanPost said:

 Why is fishing so bad?

With striped bass, bluefish, and weakfish all overfished, you can't expect hot action.

 

The bottom line is that you can't catch fish that don't exist/aren't there.  So what you'll see is an intermittent parade of skunks and their kin, interrupted by occasional, short periods of abundance as a small body of fish moves through.

 

I've got a boat on the South Shore, and have friends with boats up in the Sound, and even with that mobility, I'm not setting the world on fire.  Spotty incidents of local abundance, but nothing solid.

 

Scary thing is that the most consistent inshore action I've found this season has been with weakfish, not bass or blues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/28/2020 at 4:58 PM, RyanPost said:

I missed out on the action by a day.

Don't go chasing waterfalls....
Please stick to the rivers and the lakes that you're used to.....

 

The fishing was always better yesterday, this morning, when I was a kid...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Again, while overfishing has certainly impacted things, central to western south shores fall run has been LATE the last few years. Most of my best bass fishing recently has been mid/late October to late November...even early December. 
 

That being said, by my own anecdotal experience, bluefish fishing has been very good in the central-western south shore this year. I've gotten into them every time I've went out (during the day) in the last month. Few gators, but plenty in the 4-6 lbs range.

Edited by C.Robin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Like Charles said, there are pockets of fish.  There will always be pockets of fish, somewhere.  Hell, even in the mid-80s there were some that were having the best fishing anyone could ever wish for on Block Island but the problem there it was confined to that geographic location.  Those that are doing well should consider themselves fortunate.  I can tell you most are not.  This past spring was one of the worse I could remember.

 

The more fish that are around, the more places they will be.  The sooner the runs will start and the longer they will last.  Take the Buffalo herds for example.  In the 18th century there were over 60 million spread out across the US.  As the population dwindled there were pockets of them.  If you were fortunate to be on one of those pockets the population seemed fine. But those who weren't didn't see any.  The fact that there are fewer bass and bluefish around is also reflected in latest scientific findings.

 

Also, I know some have said the warm water is impacting them.  Well, we had an extremely warm 2012 and that was one of my better years surf fishing for striped bass.  As a matter of fact when they came back in the 90s I had great action with good sized fish the entire month of July in Jbay.

Edited by jps1010

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Late runs" are more akin to abbreviated runs, due to the depletion of biomas. Fish out in the ocean and none on beaches or in bays also dont describe a " change in migration" but the depletion of biomas.  When once fish from offshore routes to back bays were plentiful, are now diminished to the few places where open ocean provide the only respite for fish to avoid a high enough percentage of mortality to still remain fishable.   Overfishing is still occurring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, C.Robin said:

Again, while overfishing has certainly impacted things, central to western south shores fall run has been LATE the last few years. Most of my best bass fishing recently has been mid/late October to late November...even early December. 
 

That being said, by my own anecdotal experience, bluefish fishing has been very good in the central-western south shore this year. I've gotten into them every time I've went out (during the day) in the last month. Few gators, but plenty in the 4-6 lbs range.

I keep my boat in until about Thanksgiving, runing out of Fire Island Inlet, and what I'm seeing in November is far inferior to previous years.  There has been reasonably steady illegal (more than 3 miles from shore) for those who engage in that sort of thing, and a short shot of fish migrating eastward during the month, but the days when you could troll or jig fish from Columbus Day to Thanksgiving are long gone.  Sometimes the jigging is inside 3 miles, and that can stick around for a while, but by and large, the fishing is pretty poor in comparison to what it was.

 

Think back to the time when there were fleets of boats trolling back and forth along the length of Fire Island, Gilgo, Tobay, Jones, etc., and compare that to what you saw over the past few years; it pretty well tracks the decline of bass availability in the area.

 

There are pockets of bluefish around, but again, compared to a healthy stock, not much.  As I mentioned earlier I'm running into none offshore, and there were always a few out there.  Inshore, in the old days, I'd come running in from offshore and would see individual bluefish hanging a foot under the surface as I passed by; soimetimes, I'd even see that sort of thing in the State Boat Channel inside the bay.  Haven't seen that sort of thing in years.  Don't see many fish on the survace as I'm running back and forth, iether, when I used to see them all of the time.

 

Easier to catch dolphin these days than bluefish, which says something.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, CWitek said:

I keep my boat in until about Thanksgiving, runing out of Fire Island Inlet, and what I'm seeing in November is far inferior to previous years.  There has been reasonably steady illegal (more than 3 miles from shore) for those who engage in that sort of thing, and a short shot of fish migrating eastward during the month, but the days when you could troll or jig fish from Columbus Day to Thanksgiving are long gone.  Sometimes the jigging is inside 3 miles, and that can stick around for a while, but by and large, the fishing is pretty poor in comparison to what it was.

 

Think back to the time when there were fleets of boats trolling back and forth along the length of Fire Island, Gilgo, Tobay, Jones, etc., and compare that to what you saw over the past few years; it pretty well tracks the decline of bass availability in the area.

 

There are pockets of bluefish around, but again, compared to a healthy stock, not much.  As I mentioned earlier I'm running into none offshore, and there were always a few out there.  Inshore, in the old days, I'd come running in from offshore and would see individual bluefish hanging a foot under the surface as I passed by; soimetimes, I'd even see that sort of thing in the State Boat Channel inside the bay.  Haven't seen that sort of thing in years.  Don't see many fish on the survace as I'm running back and forth, iether, when I used to see them all of the time.

 

Easier to catch dolphin these days than bluefish, which says something.

 

I'm absolutely not denying overfishing, I believe the data to indicate such is much more accurate than my own experiences. I'm just saying, based on my own experience/logs, peak striper season has gotten later, but not necessarily shorter. That doesn't mean the quality of the fishing hasn't decreased as well.

 

 And no matter the year, September is way too early to call the season a bust, the water is still 70 degrees! 

 

 

 

Edited by C.Robin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 mins ago, C.Robin said:

I'm absolutely not denying overfishing, I believe the data to indicate such is much more accurate than my own experiences. I'm just saying, based on my own experience/logs, peak striper season has gotten later, but not necessarily shorter. That doesn't mean the quality of the fishing hasn't decreased as well.

 

 And no matter the year, September is way too early to call the season a bust, the water is still 70 degrees! 

 

 

 

I suspect that we'll see a parade of 2015s once things cool down, along with a fair number of smaller fish and a few larger.

 

But I do think that the season has gotten shorter.  September used to see some decent eeling in the inlets at night, and we always had a few fish into December, at least so long as it didn't snow.  Sometimes, even when it did.  There was an infamous Thanksgiving back in '84 or '85 when we got close to a foot of snow, and the boats trolling between Fire Island and Jones were enjoying a solid bite of quality bass while bombarding one another with snowballs every time a new boat came within range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know why shads rule the surf?  They are top predator now.   The usual suspects are still missing for most of the island. Worst mullet run so far.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hobobob said:

You know why shads rule the surf?  They are top predator now.   The usual suspects are still missing for most of the island. Worst mullet run so far.

Fair point.. shad blitzes often have little cocktails in the water column below them feeding less aggressively ..if you can even get your teaser or lure down deep enough past the shad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.