ooeric

Diamond jigs in surf. Changing methods for the season , for fun.

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

So I felt like changing methods this season for fun. Because it's so slow here in NYC shores.  And I got plenty of time. Theres probably a thread/post already from yesteryears regarding this. Just lazy to search and want to see new recent opinions or results.

Has anyone recently use a diamond jig in the surf with a high hook instead?  Maybe a single or dual assist hook?  Instead of the normal tube or feather tail.

I'm wondering about (attached pic)

Dragging and skipping the bottom. Fast or slow. Kicking up sand to attract a strike.  Theoretically less snags, like when vertical jigging on a boat.  That bottom hook (while does make it easy to hookset in instances) does snag on things. But top hooks are pretty slick.

Dont tell me use a tin and slow retrieve, I'm not looking for a swimming action.

Dont tell me it's the same as a bucktail. I know.

It's a for fun change to play with.

And it doesnt HAVE to diamond jig.  Can be a screwdriver bit for all we care like a t-hex.

It could even a trolling sinker or pencil sinker.

Something thatll wiggle on the bottom to kick sand up. And have some sparkles to it.

The important bit is the high ringed hook.

What are your thoughts?  I'm not targeting anything specific.

Screenshot_20200928-164016_Samsung Notes.jpg

Edited by ooeric

I even thought about dumb ideas like baiting the hooks too. Lol

Let's try to have a half decent discussion going :)

Edited by ooeric

4 hours ago, ooeric said:

So I felt like changing methods this season for fun. Because it's so slow here in NYC shores.  And I got plenty of time. Theres probably a thread/post already from yesteryears regarding this. Just lazy to search and want to see new recent opinions or results.

Has anyone recently use a diamond jig in the surf with a high hook instead?  Maybe a single or dual assist hook?  Instead of the normal tube or feather tail.

I'm wondering about (attached pic)

Dragging and skipping the bottom. Fast or slow. Kicking up sand to attract a strike.  Theoretically less snags, like when vertical jigging on a boat.  That bottom hook (while does make it easy to hookset in instances) does snag on things. But top hooks are pretty slick.

Dont tell me use a tin and slow retrieve, I'm not looking for a swimming action.

Dont tell me it's the same as a bucktail. I know.

It's a for fun change to play with.

And it doesnt HAVE to diamond jig.  Can be a screwdriver bit for all we care like a t-hex.

It could even a trolling sinker or pencil sinker.

Something thatll wiggle on the bottom to keep sand up.

The important bit is the high ringed hook.

What are your thoughts?  I'm not targeting anything specific.

Screenshot_20200928-164016_Samsung Notes.jpg

Thats great! Im going to rig a couple and take along next month. What it needs is something hanging from the tail without effecting casting distance too much. Im thinking just a short hookless flag. That eye, are we looping the assists there and adding a split ring to clip to? 

40 mins ago, foxfai said:

Those hooks still are going to snag on something if there are a lot or seaweed buried in sand bottom.

That's why I mentioned theoretically lol

If it's meant to snag, boy oh boy. I know itll snag. I'm just that lucky.  But if you know it's a semi clean bottom. Shouldn't be too bad.

21 mins ago, Terry Mac said:

Thats great! Im going to rig a couple and take along next month. What it needs is something hanging from the tail without effecting casting distance too much. Im thinking just a short hookless flag. That eye, are we looping the assists there and adding a split ring to clip to? 

I'd probably rig it like my ultra light vertical jig rig.  No point to Albright a leader, a swivel, then another clip.

If I need to change lure if a blitz start.  I'll clip the lure, retie a ta clip. Hook a plug up.

Line to Tiny as hell #50 spro swivel.

3' 30-40lb fluro.

solid ring with assist hook tipped with pork rind or squid??

Split ring.

Whatever cheap chrome diamond jig in the bag.

My silly idea is that on a retrieve. The jigs butt will wiggle in sand in a S smotion. 

You can stop, jerk it up and itll flutter down a bit like a VJ, stop, retrieve.  Almost like a fish looking for food.

Edited by ooeric

would a chrome  fluke ball work if you want to attract without snagging or digging in to the sand....you could have a 6 inch trailer or rig it as per the drawing...

2 mins ago, Surf bomber said:

would a chrome  fluke ball work if you want to attract without snagging or digging in to the sand....you could have a 6 inch trailer or rig it as per the drawing...

I'm sure a ball would work too. But youd lose the vertical jigging-ish flutter from a jig.  Especially in an area with current or nice bright sun.  That jig can sparkle alot.

I've considered something similar just to fish teasers.

No hooks on the diamond though, instead using it to cast/attract.

Then a fish sees a double teaser setup and picks up the freebie(s).

10 hours ago, ooeric said:

That's why I mentioned theoretically lol

If it's meant to snag, boy oh boy. I know itll snag. I'm just that lucky.  But if you know it's a semi clean bottom. Shouldn't be too bad.

My silly idea is that on a retrieve. The jigs butt will wiggle in sand in a S smotion. 

You can stop, jerk it up and itll flutter down a bit like a VJ, stop, retrieve.  Almost like a fish looking for food.

The problem is the hook still falls down to the ground and hook onto whatever might be under there. Unless you can keep the hook upright or protect it with something like the weedless hooks, it might be a possibility. 

Let me tell you something funny. I was jigging at a ground that I usually fish, caught the usual flounders, scup, seabass etc. We moved on to a mud flat at some point and we started to hooked onto weird stuff on the bottom. I pulled a t-shirt and a burlap sack up at some point. Other jigs were lost since I can't pull them up.

1 hour ago, foxfai said:

The problem is the hook still falls down to the ground and hook onto whatever might be under there. Unless you can keep the hook upright or protect it with something like the weedless hooks, it might be a possibility. 

Let me tell you something funny. I was jigging at a ground that I usually fish, caught the usual flounders, scup, seabass etc. We moved on to a mud flat at some point and we started to hooked onto weird stuff on the bottom. I pulled a t-shirt and a burlap sack up at some point. Other jigs were lost since I can't pull them up.

Ahh. That's a good idea.

Those springy wire weedless bass hooks.

I will add that to the list and build something.

how is this set up any different from vertical jigs? except diamond jigs probably are not balanced optimally for shore jigging or vertical jigging