dn

Do you crush the barbs on your hooks?

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Always, and all the time, except for a couple of days ago when I rushed to re-hook a plug I had made a few years ago. A couple of casts, hooked a 12"-14" bass, 2 points penetrated the plate and by the time I was done unhooking, that fish, it probably was not going to make it.

100% unless I forget too. For Catch and release it just makes things a whole lot easier. You probably loose a few fish here and there with smashed barbs but not many. I been thinking about swapping my trebles out for inlines next year too but I'll have to do some more research. 

The some fly guys says they get better penetration with barbless hooks but that's always been kind of lost on me.

Depends what I'm fishing for 

Schoolies and blues, most certainly, and I usually avoid trebbles the best I can 

Things like albies bonito, and targeting bug stripers I tend to stick with a single hook but leave the barb 

Anything I'm going to eat, black sea bass, tog, fluke,. I don't bother to crush the barb 

I started crushing barbs on trout flies over 20 years ago.

Trout can be released so easily without taking them out of the water .

Just reach down and grab the eye of the hook and give a simple twist.

In saltwater I crushed the barbs on flies  when fishing for snook, reds and sea trout.

Easy releases.

Stripers and blues, definitely.. I enjoy the hit and a short fight.

Yes, I catch and release, but I do enjoy eating fish. I don't believe in filling the freezer.

Just my 2 cents.

I think I started debarbing my hooks in the mid-80's, a few years before I took up fly fishing.   My buddy and I were up in Northern Ontario and he hooked a decent pike which spit the hook close to the boat and it ended up tangled in my fishing vest.  By the time we got the three treble hooks out my vest looked like it had been hit with a load of buck shot.   That started the process and after taking up fly fishing.  I debarbed all my lures, and the flies as I tied them.  I haven't lost many fish on my lures because I haven't switched out the treble hooks yet.  Fly fishing, I've lost fish, particularly smallmouth when they jumped because I didn't keep the tension on the line.  As far as penetration I think it does

make difference.  The hook on the fly is made barbless so I didn't need mash the barb down. 

P5210249 (6).JPG

Yes on some with back hooks like pencils and darters. A lot of plugs I use a Single belly treble without back hook. I usually leave barbs on those ones.   I don’t understand how people have fun picking out two barbed treble hooks out of fish all night.  Screw that. 

Yes, for both myself and the fish. And the one time I forgot to do so in the past few years I took a hook to the finger way past the barb...not fun.

Edited by C.Robin