Do you crush the barbs on your hooks?

Rate this topic

dn

As per title, do you crush the barbs on your hooks? 
I would like to go this route especially for bucktails.... with barbs I seem to completely rip the ends of my otter-tails when removing. 

Curious, on if you've lost any fish due to this... assuming it should be OK as long as the rod is bent when reeling in.

Edited by dn

I went crushed barbs after a visit to the ER for surgical removal. Best fishing decision I ever made. I immediately noticed my hookup ratio increasing. The little bump left after crushing the barb kept the fish on and also permitted quicker penetration at hook set. Also add always sharpen the hooks. 

I started crushing them about a month ago and haven't lost a fish. I'm sure it will come - but it makes unhooking so much easier - it's worth it. Give it a try with one or two of your lures - worst thing that happens is you don't like it and have to change out the hooks. I'll bet you don't go back.

Also - with the otter tails, just make sure you are flipping it upside down. They stretch pretty well and you should be able to get them off without tearing it apart on uncrushed hooks. 

I crush them on the plugs i throw when the fish are chewing... Bucktails, metal, some poppers.  Way easier to unhook fish, also less problems when I hook myself.  I do not crush barbs on some plugs that I use for situations where I'm only getting a few bites per outing.

1 hour ago, dn said:

As per title, do you crush the barbs on your hooks? 
I would like to go this route especially for bucktails.... with barbs I seem to completely rip the ends of my otter-tails when removing. 

Curious, on if you've lost any fish due to this... assuming it should be OK as long as the rod is bent when reeling in.

Just keep tension on the line and you will hold the fish..

1 hour ago, XBMX said:

I went crushed barbs after a visit to the ER for surgical removal. Best fishing decision I ever made. I immediately noticed my hookup ratio increasing. The little bump left after crushing the barb kept the fish on and also permitted quicker penetration at hook set. Also add always sharpen the hooks. 

Well said!  Been doing it for a long time.

No emergency room trips but I've been hooked twice in my life (both by me) and neither was easy or painless to remove like the videos show.:)

For largemouth bass, snook, or speckled trout I keep the rod tip low to help stop them from jumping.

^^^^^^^^^

Crush 'em all.

"A GAMEFISH (which striped bass should be) Is too valuable to be caught only once"...Lee Wulff

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty" - Thomas Jefferson

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help." Most dangerous words in the English language...Ronald Reagan

I crushed all my barbs and replace all trebles with in-line hooks when possible.

1.) Easy and quick removal.

2.) Less chance of killing fish when they choked it.

3.) Better hook-set.

4.) It's obvious what option you'll pick if you should ever hook yourself or anyone.

Edited by StripedBasstardz

"Long range" - CTS Vapor Trail 12ft 2-6oz, Shimano Stradic FL 5000, Powerpro Super Slick 8x V2 15lb.

"Light duty" - Daiwa Labrax AGS 106MH, Shimano Stradic CI4+ 4000, Florida Distance Premium 15lb braid

"Super duty" Blackhole Striped Bass Special 11ft 3/4-4oz, VS VR50

Every hook on every lure. Also crushing them on circle hooks when chunking. Makes life a lot easier. Only fish to shake the hook have done so right at my feet. Actually, i give them slack and hope they swim away. I consider them caught at that point. I don’t have to handle them at all when this happens. I have a bad back and am old and lazy enough to appreciate it when it happens.