Salt3r

Help - VSX 150 Casting Issue

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I’m new to bail-less reels and overall I like the VS I got this season.

I did find that if I don’t position the handle just right, my braided line catches on something when casting. It doesn’t catch hard enough to snap a plug off (yet) but it isn’t a good feeling.

Any idea what it could be?

28 mins ago, Salt3r said:

I did find that if I don’t position the handle just right, my braided line catches on something when casting. It doesn’t catch hard enough to snap a plug off (yet) but it isn’t a good feeling.

Not specific to your brand or model but 99% of the problems with spinning reels I have seen over the years were due to improper reel timing

Posted (edited) · Report post

38 mins ago, Salt3r said:

Is this on every cast that you "don't position the handle just right?  

Edited by cartopper

Do you mean reel timing as in casting mechanics?

I don’t know if it happens every time I don’t position the handle but I would say most. I think it catches the line roller.

4 mins ago, Salt3r said:

Do you mean reel timing as in casting mechanics?

I don’t know if it happens every time I don’t position the handle but I would say most. I think it catches the line roller.

I mean handle position in conjunction with spool extension before cast

Probably getting caught on the counter weight. Place reel handle in downward position so that the entire spool is exposed. Next, place the middle of the counter weight directly under the line.

6 mins ago, Salt3r said:

Here is a picture of the handle position for when the spool is fully extended:

0AF4F914-22F1-4FB9-89EC-7CE070B35348.jpeg

Where is the handle after the cast? That is what's most important, if the handle is not exactly in the same spot the starting handle position is not optimal for your style of casting as the rotating head has spun and fouled your line during your cast. I am not familiar with that reel but if the handle shown is either longer and/or heavier than stock starting handle position becomes .more critical.

Well at least it’s not just me then...

I tried taking some casts last night for the sole purpose of figuring out what the problem was. Of course it didn’t catch no matter what I tried. 

Maybe it’s more of a line lay issue like a loose wrap on the spool? I haven’t had any issue with other reels though.

Looks like the timing of the reel looks correct, as long as the handle stays down with your cast then it probably isn't anything to do with the reel itself, I would also guess it's something to do with the spooling job, if it isn't on there super tight and you didn't hump the spool then that could be your issue

Eventually it'll become muscle memory to make sure the handle is down and the line roller is just past the line before every cast. You'll get used to it. If you don't time it like that, you'll find it getting caught. Just part of the learning curve when you first start fishing a bailless

Never paid much attention to it. I know for a fact my handle is not always down when casting and I’ve never had one issue. Must be the way you’re casting