dn

ZeebaaS ZX22 vs VanStaal 150

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

The general VS versus ZB conversation has been beat to death over the years.  There's a search function on this sight that will provide enough reading material on the subject to last you a week.

Are you looking for comparison of just the sizes (150 versus 22), or overall features and benefits of the two manufactures.  If the latter, see my statement above lol

I’d say both have pros/cons. I prefer the Z for the larger sizes and the VS for the smaller 100/150 size. The VS will be a little more compact because it uses a different body size while ZB uses one main body with different rotors and spools (that can be a pro or con though I guess). The rest is preference really, VS uses the traditional flyer/cup while ZB uses a more standard rotor. ZB has the easy access side plate, VS needs the wrench. VS parts are easy to get as well as customer service, ZB has good customer service but can be slow and parts are limited to buying from them. Either one will be great for surf fishing, dunking, etc. 

Thanks for the response. They both seem to do the job well - ZB supply seems more limited supply than VS from what I can see in the marketplaces. @folfish Thanks I'll give it search

28 mins ago, dn said:

Thanks for the response. They both seem to do the job well - ZB supply seems more limited supply than VS from what I can see in the marketplaces. @folfish Thanks I'll give it search

If you have the patience to wade through a **** ton of nonsense, there is some good info in the numerous threads on the subject lol.

Might be better to compare the ZB22 to a VS200, they're about the same weight spooled.  VS150 weighs a little more than half a ZB22, 12 oz vs 22 oz

I’ll just say this; I’ve owned and fished with sixteen VS reels since 1993 and never had a major problem with any of them. In fact, I’ve fished pretty much problem free for years at a time with the 150 and the 200. I vote for VS. 

Own both. Both are work horses. Like the ZB more tho. If someone’s on my rock I can beat them with my ZB. 

The 22 is closer in size to the (dumpster fire of a reel) VR175. IMO. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Have both and I have a hard time finding a rod its comfortable with.  Dimensionally I'd expect to fish a reel its size on 9 and 10' rods yet its weight really belongs on 10 and 11' rods.  

Smaller spool designs lend themselves to modern line and guide layouts, smaller diameter coils unfurling from the spool, cutting through the guides and air with way less drag and conceivably achieving better distance.  Van staal dimensions are based off older style philosophies using traditionally larger spools creating larger coils to minimize drag coming off the spool by way of less line to spool contact and coupled with larger guides and mono line.  Obviously those same attributes work fine with braid, concept guides and ultra light rods however the need for larger spooled reels today is largely gone with respect to casting distsnce.  

All that said the 22 is a good reel for 10 to 11' modern layout rods both for its weight and design.  I fish my 150 on 9 an 9'6" rods and my 250 for larger rods, the 22 is heavy for its size in my opinion and currently has no use in my quiver.

Edited by DeepBlue85