jjdbike

Smoked-BBQ chicken: need ideas/recipes

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

Been thinking about deboning a chicken, stuffing, rolling & doing it in the BGE.

Wife's birthday cookout is this coming Sat. She invited 5 other for a total of 7 folks.

Wife said she wants BBQ white meat chicken & loves the sauce sweet KC style sauce I made 2 weeks ago w/ thick cut maple bacon. Have 2 jars left.

I wonder how long before I need to worry about it being safe?

Am considering deboning, stuffing & rolling  2 large rosters or spatchcocking them. Stuffed rolls would be fun & make a nice presentation but not sure how well suited that would be to Sweet BBQ sauce. Spatchcocking would be easier but two deboned / rolled birds would fit on the BGE easier. 

Love to hear your thoughts, ideas & recipes please.

JD

43 views & no answers. Either you're tired of my OCD BBQ posts, or many don't know either.

I suppose what I'm specifically trying to do is adapt a baked, deboned, stuffed, rolled chicken recipe to be a smoked / grilled BBQ recipe on the BGE for 7 - 8 peeps.

Love to hear your thoughts, ideas and input!

Thanks in advance,

JD

I wish I could help.  But bbq chicken is not one of my strong points. 

Tried it dozens of times and the results are meh?  Doing a spatchcock seems easy, until I do it. The legs and thighs cook at a different rate than the breasts.  I always be overcook the wings. 

The only chicken I bbq now are wings. Parcooked in the oven, and finished on the grill in a Korean gochujang base sauce.

24 mins ago, bob_G said:

I wish I could help.  But bbq chicken is not one of my strong points. 

Tried it dozens of times and the results are meh?  Doing a spatchcock seems easy, until I do it. The legs and thighs cook at a different rate than the breasts.  I always be overcook the wings. 

The only chicken I bbq now are wings. Parcooked in the oven, and finished on the grill in a Korean gochujang base sauce.

Thanks So much Bob.

That’s exactly why I thought deboning, stuffing w/ a moist, rich,  flavorful stuffing, and rolling so it’s a consistent thickness, though not very thick considering it’s a whole bird, would all  be good things. 
This will be an experiment that I’ll share w/ you all.

If any of you have any suggestions or input I greatly appreciate it.

Best regards!

JD

I've smoked a couple chickens with fantastic results. Never tried rolling one though. Truss the chicken so it's legs are extended, not pulled up tight against the body. Something like this :

Truss-A-Chicken-10.jpg.970fe2900d849c7bad88f86afabcd2d4.jpg

For me it seems to help the bird cook more evenly. I do like to fold the wings and pull them in tight to the body though. Less chance of overcooking them. If the wings are done early I suppose you could remove them so they don't overcook. Or maybe try wrapping the wings in foil so they cook a little slower? IDK, just throwing out ideas. I do like my dark meat cooked a little more well done though, so I've never complained about it. 

Have spatchcocked a few with pretty good success.  Tucked the wings underneath and smoked them at 300-325. Simple with just a commercial rub.  The deboned roll someone posted last week is interesting and on my list to try.  i routinely do smoked leg quarters but the house favorite is smoked wings with a glaze of mango chutney. BBQed with a rub and then the glaze for the last 15 minutes or so. Nowhere near as elegant as what you are shooting for.  I'm using a pellet grill-  I like a mix of hickory, apple and cherry wood 

Thanks everyone.

I do wanna debone, stuff & roll.

Still hoping for some solid, perhaps experienced advice on adapting the roasting recipe/ technique to the BGE smoker/ grill.

Thanks!

JD

This is one area where Alton would say "Stuffing is evil." You need to get the entire thing to at least 160 to be safe, and by the time the middle of it (the stuffing) reaches that temp, the meat will be dry and disappointing, especially on a smoker.

When I make BBQ chicken, I leave the bones in and cut it up into quarters (2 leg/thigh pieces, two breast pieces.)

Put a dry rub on all sides of the pieces, and then grill over indirect heat until almost done. Last 1/2 hour or so, over direct heat to "sear"the skin. You can sauce it one the grill for the past ten minutes, or sauce it at service.

3 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

This is one area where Alton would say "Stuffing is evil." You need to get the entire thing to at least 160 to be safe, and by the time the middle of it (the stuffing) reaches that temp, the meat will be dry and disappointing, especially on a smoker.

When I make BBQ chicken, I leave the bones in and cut it up into quarters (2 leg/thigh pieces, two breast pieces.)

Put a dry rub on all sides of the pieces, and then grill over indirect heat until almost done. Last 1/2 hour or so, over direct heat to "sear"the skin. You can sauce it one the grill for the past ten minutes, or sauce it at service.

Thanks for weighing in on this one.

While I do trust you and Alton, I am surprised. I though because they were deboned (& ligaments removed), and rolled, 4 1/2 lb birds would cook through more evenly and consistently. I thought the stuffing w/ lots of butter would help keep it moist. 

Perhaps I should do it at 325 until the skin browns, then pan, drizzle skin w/ butter, wrap tightly w/ foil and a little liquid in bottom, back on till almost up to temp, then pull from pan, sauce, and back on rack, direct heat to crisp / caramelize? 

If you're convinced it won't turn out as hoped, I am open to your method of quartering. I'd rub skin, then sauce at end.

Your thoughts?

JD

Jim, you have to start to understand that even though you are cooking in moisture/liquid, things can still turn out dry and tough. Any times I have made braised/roast pork roast with kraut, and the meat came out dry and tough cause I just plain overcooked it despite all the juice and liquid.

That said, I have never tried what you are proposing, so who knows, may come out fine, even if my instincts tell me different. But my instincts are not always right.......

3 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

Jim, you have to start to understand that even though you are cooking in moisture/liquid, things can still turn out dry and tough. Any times I have made braised/roast pork roast with kraut, and the meat came out dry and tough cause I just plain overcooked it despite all the juice and liquid.

That said, I have never tried what you are proposing, so who knows, may come out fine, even if my instincts tell me different. But my instincts are not always right.......

Thanks again Steve.

Yes I’ve experienced that. I’ve also dried out more than my fair share of chicken.

To be honest, I’m torn. Kinda dying to challenge my knife skills & try something new. Though, your BBQ chicken idea sounds simple & delicious.

Hey jj,

I think this sounds like fun.

One thing to consider is that chicken takes smoke more readily than the denser meats. In other words if you smoke it for a long time, as if it were pork you'll end up with a very smoky entree indeed. I for one find a heavily smoked bird to taste too much like chewing on a charred stick for my taste. I would lightly smoke it, say maybe an hour or so. Then I would throw it in the oven at say 325 or so until it was pretty close to the temp I was shooting for, and when it was pretty close would crank up the oven to insure crispy skin, watching the temp.  Then hit it with the sweet sauce and turn on the broiler to let it set and allow amount of blackened, burnt sauce to form. This sauce set and slight blackening adds a lot to what people think of the taste of backyard bbq chicken . Watch it very carefully at the end. Good luck.

3 hours ago, Seakarp said:

Hey jj,

One thing to consider is that chicken takes smoke more readily than the denser meats. In other words if you smoke it for a long time, as if it were pork you'll end up with a very smoky entree indeed. I for one find a heavily smoked bird to taste too much like chewing on a charred stick for my taste. I would lightly smoke it, say maybe an hour or so. Then I would throw it in the oven at say 325 or so until it was pretty close to the temp I was shooting for, and when it was pretty close would crank up the oven to insure crispy skin, watching the temp.  Then hit it with the sweet sauce and turn on the broiler to let it set and allow amount of blackened, burnt sauce to form. This sauce set and slight blackening adds a lot to what people think of the taste of backyard bbq chicken . Watch it very carefully at the end. Good luck.

Thanks Seakarp.

Great ideas.

Thanks!

JD

On 9/28/2020 at 10:25 PM, rathrbefishn said:

Have spatchcocked a few with pretty good success.  Tucked the wings underneath and smoked them at 300-325. Simple with just a commercial rub.  The deboned roll someone posted last week is interesting and on my list to try.  i routinely do smoked leg quarters but the house favorite is smoked wings with a glaze of mango chutney. BBQed with a rub and then the glaze for the last 15 minutes or so. Nowhere near as elegant as what you are shooting for.  I'm using a pellet grill-  I like a mix of hickory, apple and cherry wood 

Thanks rather,

I do like spatchcock, problem is, we're feeding 8 people. That'll take two or three birds depending on their size. I think on the smaller side would be better. I'm think the smaller bird would cook faster w/ less drying, be more tender & juicy because it would be a little younger.

Two or three spatched birds wouldn't fit on my BGE. Rolled is space efficient.

On 9/29/2020 at 0:37 PM, Steve in Mass said:

Your post here has merit & does give me pause. I just really wanna try this. It'll make a nice presentation and be less messy to eat (i.e. just slice, not eat around / pick through bones. Thinking I'm gonna integrate seakarps suggestions , though all on BGE.

On 9/29/2020 at 6:01 PM, Seakarp said:

Hey jj,

Thanks again seakarp for these suggestions. Here's what I'm thinking.

• Stuffing: was looking at fancy sausage and tart apple, or bacon and pepper recipes. Then I realized, those would overpower of detract from the delicate chicken flavor. Gonna go w/ basic sautéed onions, celery, s & p, fresh sage in butter & toasted bread crumbs. Maple bacon is tempting, but prolly not.
  • The birds: Gonna look for free range natural birds. Looking for smaller roasters, at 5lbs max, prefer closer to 4 1/2. Gonna buy them today. Debone tomorrow morning. Brine overnight. Make stuffing, stuff, roll, tie, BBQ rub. 
  • On the BGE: Stabilize the egg at 325. 2 chunks maple over lump. Cook for an hour, or until skin well browned. Pull, spray w/ butter flavored pam. Put in pan w/ a little stock in bottom & cover w/ foil. Cook till 155 internally. Take out of pan, sauce, back on BGE till 160 -165 & sauce is caramelized. 
  • Timing: How long would you allow for the birds on the BGE? I'm think close to two hours, give or take. What would you estimate, time wise?
  • Accompaniments: It's for my wife's birthday and she likes "7 layer salad". I don't, but this day is about her. We've got butternut squash ready to go. My wife liked the looks of a recipe sautéed w/ onions and pecans. I think a more basic cubed, tossed w/ olive oil, s & p, and thyme or rosemary would be more fitting. I'll have Southern Tier Pumpking Imperial Ale, and Dogfish Head 90 Minuet IPA.

Thoughts, suggestions?

JD

49 mins ago, jjdbike said:

My wife liked the looks of a recipe sautéed w/ onions and pecans.

Going in this direction, on her birthday is likely a good idea. Something that would be  fun  might be to go with a more sweet, pumpkin pie spiced style side. You could go with creamed or small cubes on the squash and hit it with cinnamon, all spice, nutmeg, brown sugar, salt and butter. Then when done sprinkle on some candied pecans. A sweet side with meat can be very welcomed and is something different. It is common in the south to go to a steak house and get say, prime rib with a sweet potato heaped with butter and brown sugar. It seems kind of weird, but is very satisfying. Besides it's always good when birthdays are sweet, and full of flavor.