ACFishing

ODM DNA first impresions

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

Today I had picked up the DNA 82 from a tackle shop owned by a very grumpy man. I paired this rod with a VS100 with 30lb Suffix 832.  Throughout today I did just about all the fishing I can do with this rod and I am very impressed. From sunrise I worked top-waters in the bay which the rod held up perfectly and fortunately hooked up on the third cast with a quite large bluefish at 6-1/2 pounds which is a hell of a first fish. I only fished the next 2 hours and only picked through 3 schoolie bass in the 15-18 inch range, nothing impressive but it definitely gave me a good feel to as how this rod performed. Ran over to the beach side up in Moco and spent about 3 hours working through bluefish in the 2-4 pound range on a assortment of lures but mainly metal. I threw epoxies and metals and I can tell this this rod is probably gonna be my prime albie rod as the it did very well getting that distance with the slender profile jigs. Porgy bite was slow this year so I made the drive back down to target togs and heck it did surprisingly well for being a surf rod and got my keeper tog for dinner. I decided to rest up before getting a message that some bass were biting eels in the inlets, This had me excited as previously I had buddies tell me that they loved this rod using live baits for snook in inlets. Fished the outgoing tide and it was slow but eventually I was hooked up and bad me brining in a 34" bass, It did amazingly well for fishing in the current though it is quite light to be slinging eels in the inlets. I have noticed that this rod is very light but def holds up to itself while fighting fish. For the first day I absolutely love it and can't wait for the Albies to show up here in the surf and I'll keep updated if I find negatives when using this rod in the next upcoming weeks 

ODM baby, all we fish.  Started with a Genesis few years back, got my girlfriend a DNA, got a NEX1 for the canal, just picked up an evolution built by PPW in staten island. Incredible rods, awesome people. 

2 hours ago, levari said:

Why did you choose the DNA over the BH Suzuki ?

What was your criteria?

I was more so looking at a back bay/ Albie rod. Ofc for this i need that lower end specs of a max rating of 2 ounces but never wanted something over 8ft. Though I had previously looked at the Suzuki in the past because of the lower end rating, I never wanted a rod that was 9'6 or 10' especially since I was aiming for a rod to sit on my vs100.

Posted (edited) · Report post

38 mins ago, ACFishing said:

I was more so looking at a back bay/ Albie rod. Ofc for this i need that lower end specs of a max rating of 2 ounces but never wanted something over 8ft. Though I had previously looked at the Suzuki in the past because of the lower end rating, I never wanted a rod that was 9'6 or 10' especially since I was aiming for a rod to sit on my vs100.

The Suzuki 801L is a perfect fit to your requirements for less $$$$. Did you look at that rod? If you did then why did you choose the DNA over the Suzuki 801L?

Edited by levari

1 hour ago, levari said:

The Suzuki 801L is a perfect fit to your requirements for less $$$$. Did you look at that rod? If you did then why did you choose the DNA over the Suzuki 801L?

Never really specifically chose to look at the Suzuki though it's cheaper. There are not many shops that have blackholes and the ones that do never really carry suzuki's mainly just the cape ones or the challengers which i might look at soon

59 mins ago, ACFishing said:

Never really specifically chose to look at the Suzuki though it's cheaper. There are not many shops that have blackholes and the ones that do never really carry suzuki's mainly just the cape ones or the challengers which i might look at soon

Thank you for the info !!!

10 hours ago, Mulldawgfish said:

Great rod for a great price. 10ft matched with a VS200 wicked for pencil popping. Steve is the man too if any issues you talk to him directly. Not many companies you can do that.

Yea they seem to always have my back with any issues

The 9' is the main stick I used this year. Atleast for my lighter rod. I really like it so far. It works good for plastic swimming plugs and bucktails/jig heads 3/4 to 1.5. Haven't tried to fish anything over 2.5oz. Or so.

But, I like the way the rod rod loads. 

Handled a couple decent fish in a strong outgoing too.