Mike Fixter

Marking center

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

This version is set up for finding center on  1 1/2" x 1 1/2"  stock of various lengths but can be easily modified to accommodate larger or smaller dimensions.   To make one find center on the size stock you plan to use &  (A) horizontally drill a small hole (slightly less than 1/8")  around 1 1/2" deep.  Then  (B) take a nail with a shank around 1/8"  & cut the head off it so you have a shank close to 1 3/4" long.    (C) drive the blunt end of the nail into the hole until you have about 1/4" of the sharp end protruding. (D)  Using a couple 1" screws fasten the 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" stock to a piece of angle aluminum or whatever you have available.  (E)  secure the center finder in a vice.  (F) lay your blank in the "V"  & give it a tap with a mallet.   "Presto"  you just marked center.   I just marked center on 40 blanks in 3 minutes.    p.s.  If you get tired of making plug blanks you can try making a mallet like the one pictured.... Maple head & walnut handle...

P9270104.JPG

P9270105.JPG

P9270136.JPG

Posted (edited) · Report post

17 mins ago, Mike Fixter said:

I forgot to mention I hold/secure  the plug blank in the "V" with my left hand & strike it with mallet in my right hand.....   Have fun...

Yet in the picture you have the mallet in your left hand, unless you took the picture in a mirror. . .

Edited by Oakman

1 hour ago, Oakman said:

Yet in the picture you have the mallet in your left hand, unless you took the picture in a mirror. . .

Oakman,  that is a great observation....... I did have the mallet in my left hand...... the reason being I was holding the camera in my right hand......    No.. I don't strike the plug blank with the camera...

9 hours ago, Mike Fixter said:

Oakman,  that is a great observation....... I did have the mallet in my left hand...... the reason being I was holding the camera in my right hand......    No.. I don't strike the plug blank with the camera...

Saves on cameras for sure!  Just bustin' balls.  I don't turn plugs, but I assume you all pretty much start with the same size stock.  Easy enough to make a couple sizes jigs.

23 mins ago, Wire For Fire said:

But what’s your technique to find absolute dead center in the jig block ? 

Your square you only have to do it once for the jig from there on their freebies.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Gotta love love the what abouts. As I am in process of tooling up to run 30 count batches I really appreciate post’s like this one. Nice thought I was too busy designing the multipurpose jig for plug cuts to get to that issue yet. I squared and marked the 1st run. About 20 minutes.

Edited by Jim in WA

Nice post Mike, I've seen this before but for some reason it took hearing it from you for me to make one. I've already made a few nice mallets during the covid isolation, so I'm good to go...

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2376.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2375.jpg