Pma531

backsplash tile

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Hey SOL,

 

Random question for you guys, not fishing related. The backsplash in my kithcen is like 21 square feet. The wife and I bought all materials to install. Any idea what a reasonable price would be for labor installing the tile? Nothing to pull down or remove at all. Just a couple of outlet covers, maybe like seven or so. We're in Stafford. Thanks guys. I'm just trying to make sure I'm not getting taken to the bank. I've never had to do a backsplash before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should post in the how to forum. They might be able to assist.  
 

assume you bought decorative tile on 12”x12” mesh?  
 

it shouldn’t be that much.  How much were you quoted 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pma531 said:

Hey SOL,

 

Random question for you guys, not fishing related. The backsplash in my kithcen is like 21 square feet. The wife and I bought all materials to install. Any idea what a reasonable price would be for labor installing the tile? Nothing to pull down or remove at all. Just a couple of outlet covers, maybe like seven or so. We're in Stafford. Thanks guys. I'm just trying to make sure I'm not getting taken to the bank. I've never had to do a backsplash before.

Agreed this really would be better in the DIY forum, but I'll give it a whirl, mostly because I love it when someone who has no idea about something has the notion that "It's not that big a job".  Granted, 21 square feet is not much but. . . sight unseen, here are the questions I would ask before I showed up to give an estimate.  What is the substrate?  Is it a suitable surface on which to install tile?  It will need some kind of prep for the adhesive to stick well.  "just a couple of outlet covers, maybe like seven or so"  couple to me means two, seven is a far cry from two, which is it?  Have you thought about how much thickness the tile will add to the wall and how that relates to the outlets?  Is there enough wire in there to bring them forward?  Which brings up the question, how thick is the tile?  Plus adhesive?  3/8", 1/2"?  It matters.  How tall is the space for the backsplash and how does that relate to the tile?  Will there be a lot of cuts?  Where does the tile end?  Do you need trim to cover this? Did you buy border tile? Grout?  Etc. . . lots of question to be answered before you can get an idea of what it should cost, the devil is always in the details.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

24 mins ago, Oakman said:

Agreed this really would be better in the DIY forum, but I'll give it a whirl, mostly because I love it when someone who has no idea about something has the notion that "It's not that big a job".  Granted, 21 square feet is not much but. . . sight unseen, here are the questions I would ask before I showed up to give an estimate.  What is the substrate?  Is it a suitable surface on which to install tile?  It will need some kind of prep for the adhesive to stick well.  "just a couple of outlet covers, maybe like seven or so"  couple to me means two, seven is a far cry from two, which is it?  Have you thought about how much thickness the tile will add to the wall and how that relates to the outlets?  Is there enough wire in there to bring them forward?  Which brings up the question, how thick is the tile?  Plus adhesive?  3/8", 1/2"?  It matters.  How tall is the space for the backsplash and how does that relate to the tile?  Will there be a lot of cuts?  Where does the tile end?  Do you need trim to cover this? Did you buy border tile? Grout?  Etc. . . lots of question to be answered before you can get an idea of what it should cost, the devil is always in the details.  

Damn. Ok. It’s new construction. So surface should be fine. See below pictures.

25D7969C-6432-4530-884D-BD97E8A0D20B.jpeg

B817D07C-AE74-41A7-A8E9-21E49AE1E5C1.jpeg
 

Also, here is a photo of the tile. It’s 1/4 inch thick.

E77590A1-B612-4921-848D-28172B675A2D.jpeg
 

and I don’t know how much this type of thing costs. Just trying to educate myself so I don’t overpay.

Edited by Pma531

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like what oakman said. Best advice would be to get a few estimates for a ballpark and then give the job to the most honest dude you can find. Price is important but whats even more important is getting someone to do quality work. Ive seen so many hack jobs because people give the job to the lowest bidder and you get what you pay for. Also some people charge more because they do things the right way and are not gaming the system so to speak. I say pay that guy and if its too much for your wallet then diy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, adams54 said:

I really like what oakman said. Best advice would be to get a few estimates for a ballpark and then give the job to the most honest dude you can find. Price is important but whats even more important is getting someone to do quality work. Ive seen so many hack jobs because people give the job to the lowest bidder and you get what you pay for. Also some people charge more because they do things the right way and are not gaming the system so to speak. I say pay that guy and if its too much for your wallet then diy.

This was my next thought but I had already said a lot, I'm glad adams makes this point, it's spot on.  I will add this, looks like glass tile to me?  That stuff is a PIA to cut well, so I'd figure extra material and time for that. Also with the outlets already installed, unless you can move the boxes, you have to cut the tile so the tabs of the switches and outlets land on the tile, so when you reinstall them they screw tight to the tile and the cover plates sit nicely.  I HATE loose outlets and this takes time, sometimes you have to dremel a little groove in the tile in just the right spot for the screw to pass and catch the box.  I'm pricy, and picky, take my time and do a good job.  It's tile and if done right should be there for a long time.   I'd probably bid this out at $1800. Maybe more depending on the width of the tile, and if you are going all the way from counter to bottom of cabinets, does it land on a full tile or do you have to rip a row down to fit?  Just trying to give you a line into how a tiler may think about this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is that colored tile or paper backed?  As said above, glass is a PITA and they're beveled too.  You're going to want to get more overage than you normally would.  I wouldn't trust anyone that came in under $1K.  I know 1 setter that could do it to meet my expectations and he's as meticulous as I am.  Id fully expect his price to be in the same range as oakman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Oakman said:

does it land on a full tile or do you have to rip a row down to fit? 

First question I thought of.  I think your post is spot on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A fairly easy DIY if you’re somewhat handy, figuring out where your first tile starts to have a pleasant appearance is KEY! I usually charge by how many times I foresee myself bonking my head on the underside of the cabinets! @ $100 per it will be more than 7 but WAY less than 18 :dismay:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m going to agree with everything said in this thread about tile taking time. It’s all about your prep. Tiles one of those things that looks and sounds easy. But if you don’t know it can get ugly fast. I’m currently tiling my hall bathroom. Floor to ceiling. I have done tile before but never this much. I feel like I’m chipping away at a mountain with a tack hammer. Definitely a learning process. I’m about 2/3 of the way done and can’t freaking wait till it’s over. I’m taking baby steps so I don’t get too far ahead or behind myself. At this point in not sure anymore. One of those things being in the trades world myself that I understand you get what you pay for...  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/28/2020 at 8:34 AM, Oakman said:

This was my next thought but I had already said a lot, I'm glad adams makes this point, it's spot on.  I will add this, looks like glass tile to me?  That stuff is a PIA to cut well, so I'd figure extra material and time for that. Also with the outlets already installed, unless you can move the boxes, you have to cut the tile so the tabs of the switches and outlets land on the tile, so when you reinstall them they screw tight to the tile and the cover plates sit nicely.  I HATE loose outlets and this takes time, sometimes you have to dremel a little groove in the tile in just the right spot for the screw to pass and catch the box.  I'm pricy, and picky, take my time and do a good job.  It's tile and if done right should be there for a long time.   I'd probably bid this out at $1800. Maybe more depending on the width of the tile, and if you are going all the way from counter to bottom of cabinets, does it land on a full tile or do you have to rip a row down to fit?  Just trying to give you a line into how a tiler may think about this.

Wow, 1800$,  What do you charge for a shower stall, i'm in the market for a new shower

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm obviously living in a cave, looks like half a days labor and a return visit. For, $1800, I'd paint it.  All contractors are busy and naming their price, its your responsibility to determine value/cost. 

 

Last year had a feller from CL come to my house on a Sunday afternoon, replaced 4 shower wall tiles (2 hours) and came back the next day- total $250. Nice work, good guy. He still made $85 an hour, pretty decent for a side job,or so I thought.

 

I do find as I grow older (62) that costs seem to be excessive on most things today, including food, cars, travel, housing and particularly phones, cable and internet services. Over $309 a

 month for Cable/Internet and I don't have all the useless channels. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.