RobG922

Gear-up surf bags 3 vs 4 tube

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

 

I'm looking into buying a gear up surf bag. Just their standard 3 or 4 tube and was wondering if you guys had any regret going with one size over the other. Unfortunately I can't find any locally to compare the two sizes. The 4 tube is only 2 inches bigger. I do plan on removing the stock tubes and replacing them with more smaller ones.  Maybe if you guys did something similar you could also throw in some pics? Ideally I'd like to customize something to my liking but I don't have the time to wait months for backorders. I'll do that in the "off season". 

 

Thanks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Had the 4 and I traded for the 3. I wear it on my belt and I felt the 4 was just too big and a bit heavier. Then you add more plugs and there you have it a back ache. Lol   No but seriously I actual use there 2 tube one most of all except when I carry larger plugs then I use the 3. I can attach their BT pouch to my bags so if I’m carrying tins and stuff I have the room. To each their own thou. They make a great bag that will last for ever. 

Edited by Mark L

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 mins ago, Mark L said:

Had the 4 and I traded for the 3. I wear it on my belt and I felt the 4 was just too big and a bit heavier. Then you add more plugs and there you have it a back ache. Lol   No but seriously I actual use there 2 tube one most of all except when I carry larger plugs then I use the 3. I can attach their BT pouch to my bags so if I’m carrying tins and stuff I have the room. To each their own thou. They make a great bag that will last for ever. 

Mark, I saw the 2 tube today and my local shop, I might have to grab one of those too! How do you attach the BT pouch? Im going to need one of those and figured id just throw it on my belt then have the big bag on my shoulder, but if I can somehow connect the two, that would be ideal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, RobG922 said:

Mark, I saw the 2 tube today and my local shop, I might have to grab one of those too! How do you attach the BT pouch? Im going to need one of those and figured id just throw it on my belt then have the big bag on my shoulder, but if I can somehow connect the two, that would be ideal. 

Both slide on your belt. I wear the 2 tube with front pouch to my left and the eel pouch on my right. I load the eel pouch up good with tins, bucktails, shads, pre rigged leaders small scissors Ect. The 2 tube is great when covering distance. The front pouch i carry pork rind and a rolled up tape measurer. Great quality product and will last! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I been running the three tube for years , great bag . I’d say the four gotta be heavy after few hours .. 

 

i just got this as a gift from the wife . Didn’t even stuff it yet , but it’s a nice bag also 

677A6657-0419-44D0-8A38-7DDB5D8C9164.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 mins ago, RobG922 said:

Mark, I saw the 2 tube today and my local shop, I might have to grab one of those too! How do you attach the BT pouch? Im going to need one of those and figured id just throw it on my belt then have the big bag on my shoulder, but if I can somehow connect the two, that would be ideal. 

I did my own version of the Flatlander buddy lock system. When I get a chance I’ll take a few pics. Basically I removed the shoulder straps, put D-rings in their place, attached a straps to the sides of the BT pouch and connect everything with climber clips. I’ll use the BT pouch sometimes as a small surf bag with a shoulder strap. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 mins ago, Wire For Fire said:

I been running the three tube for years , great bag . I’d say the four gotta be heavy after few hours .. 

 

i just got this as a gift from the wife . Didn’t even stuff it yet , but it’s a nice bag also 

677A6657-0419-44D0-8A38-7DDB5D8C9164.jpeg

Your a lucky man sir, lucky indeed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 mins ago, Wire For Fire said:

I been running the three tube for years , great bag . I’d say the four gotta be heavy after few hours .. 

 

i just got this as a gift from the wife . Didn’t even stuff it yet , but it’s a nice bag also 

677A6657-0419-44D0-8A38-7DDB5D8C9164.jpeg

 

I think I'm leaning toward the 3 tube. Nice lady you got there buddy! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 3 tube is actually a 3-3/4 tube. Dont forget the water bottle holder if you  need extra space.  A fully loaded 3 tube might overload some of the not so stiff surf belt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 mins ago, Mark L said:

I did my own version of the Flatlander buddy lock system. When I get a chance I’ll take a few pics. Basically I removed the shoulder straps, put D-rings in their place, attached a straps to the sides of the BT pouch and connect everything with climber clips. I’ll use the BT pouch sometimes as a small surf bag with a shoulder strap. 

Awesome, that would be great to see some pics. I think id like to do something similar. Thanks Mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, hobobob said:

The 3 tube is actually a 3-3/4 tube. Dont forget the water bottle holder if you  need extra space.  A fully loaded 3 tube might overload some of the not so stiff surf belt.

I'm trying to lean away from using the belt for plugs, I feel like I'm not very efficient when I have them on my belt. I'm trying to just keep the belt for a bucktail/tin pouch, my pliers, and maybe a boga. But if I do decide to throw the plug bag on my belt, maybe its better I have the 3 tube. Thats a good point, thanks for that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 mins ago, RobG922 said:

Awesome, that would be great to see some pics. I think id like to do something similar. Thanks Mark

Will do I take them tomorrow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 mins ago, Terry Mac said:

Both slide on your belt. I wear the 2 tube with front pouch to my left and the eel pouch on my right. I load the eel pouch up good with tins, bucktails, shads, pre rigged leaders small scissors Ect. The 2 tube is great when covering distance. The front pouch i carry pork rind and a rolled up tape measurer. Great quality product and will last! 

That is a good idea for the eel pouch! For the price, the gear-ups seem to be the best bang for you buck that I've seen in the store, which is crazy to me because the flimsy, overseas made bags aren't that cheap either. I did also see some nice Aquaskins Elite Hunter bags that were in stock and are pretty nice 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Flatlander is light years better than others.  The from pouch on his 3 tube can fit long rubber or piles of "used" plugs. Unlike the other shorter bucktail pouches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2-3 tube is superior imo.

 

However, bucktails/tins in the loops is tough with the stock tubes.

I'd use shorter/slimmer tubes  of your own choice. Or just cut down the base tubes.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.