bhorsley

Cape Lookout Sept 27 report

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Big winds and bigger swell has kept me to the dock for a week.  Made it out yesterday and found a big sharp swell and tough fishing.  When the tide started to run in we did find a few albies eating snot.  We found four or five willing to eat.  Sunday was slick cam and the swell was gone but in its place was fog.  My southern butt hates fog.  It burned off around 10.  Headed off the beach and found lots of willing players, still eating micro bait but still ate our flies.  Perfect size fish for the Sage Igniter 7 wt with the Seigler SF and Sage Spectrum Max 7/8.  Had a big time with this father and son duo.  The dad has been fishing with me for 20 years.

There s more bait than I  have seen in many years and it is a mystery to me with all the bait around the albies prefer snot bait??

_BDH7896-Edit.jpg

_BDH7913-Edit.jpg

BDH_8165.jpg

BDH_8166-Edit.jpg

BDH_8159.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

52 mins ago, horsefly said:

What fly do you use to imitate the snot bait.

I don't try and imitate snot bait.  If you throw a 5/8 oz Hogy Epoxy Jig or a albie Snax and zip it through the sippers you can bit 50% of the time if you know when to throw.  So I like my flies small but not trying to match the hatch. My number 1 snot bait fly is a 2" epoxy fly either all white or all pink --tied with pearl body braid and buck tail.  Second go to is my version of the albie whore 2 1/2 " long.  I use pearl palmer chenille for the body.  Last go to is 2 1/2" Clouser tie with all white Cashmere.   We almost all of our albie flies on #4 Gamakatsu SL11-3H .  If I want a bigger hook I use Gamakatsu SL 12 #2.  

Fly placement really helps.  When a little pack have the snot bait herded up and you can see their backs if you get  fly in the pack you get bit not all ways but percentages are higher---somedays.  Somedays they frustrate the hell out of me.   

I tie guide flys --they must be quick to tie.  Some seasons we go through 400 hooks 

IMG_6796.jpg

IMG_6802.jpeg

Edited by bhorsley

Thanks for the report and pics.  Something to dream of.  Been waiting here in Jersey for them to come in to the beaches.  Can you post a pic of the albie whore please?

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, sardean said:

Thanks for the report and pics.  Something to dream of.  Been waiting here in Jersey for them to come in to the beaches.  Can you post a pic of the albie whore please?

Here is my version or my version of what I think one is --I skipped a step or two and use different materials --it is quicker to tie.  This one is well used and it is tied on Gamaktsu SL12 #2 hook

IMG_1955.JPG

Edited by bhorsley