Striper46

Water snake 24 prop replacement

40 posts in this topic

Came across this haswing w10  prop on fb, looked like a pretty good match and definitely better built. But there is a gap between pod and prop so Concerned debris Will get back there. Also, it’s 13 grams heavier. I haven’t tested it yet on the water but on a dry test it does sound a touch slower or possibly just smoother....not really sure. I’ll post back after testing.

00AD3244-6DF6-4B32-8CD1-D1D57BAEAB5A.jpeg

0978471E-82C6-4611-B9CA-83F28129E623.jpeg

CCB08C78-2996-4252-92B8-CF81089BCAB0.jpeg

68358862-82C4-4FCF-9770-FDEBA62EC402.jpeg

71476354-92E2-437A-BDC9-D853A4CB2D82.jpeg

16D70939-510A-4869-A528-74CEF47B721F.jpeg

A27E2B04-A7BB-4874-AEAE-EEA980292009.jpeg

6E43CDFF-504E-4A2A-91B5-74EBD2B896E0.jpeg

thats a humongous gap. id be tempted to just try and make it up with a piece of duct tape or something coming off the motor housing but not fastened to the prop.  just dont go in reverse in weeds LOL

25 mins ago, gobigblue said:

thats a humongous gap. id be tempted to just try and make it up with a piece of duct tape or something coming off the motor housing but not fastened to the prop.  just dont go in reverse in weeds LOL

yea its a big gap, i dont fish fresh water so i dont deal with much weed(95% of trips). could possibly Dremel out where the pin sits a little??? was more concerned about the weight difference possibility over heating the motor.

if you can cover that gap by just dremelling the pin gap than that seems like a good choice.  dremelling is always a good choice.  i doubt that weight difference matters at all.  i never really had an issue with the oem prop, it is pretty flimsy but worked fine for me.

ive gone 100% to the kirkman minn kota c2 30 rear rod holder mount.  its such a better application being able to still also pedal. i just need to reshaft the motor because i cut the shaft too short then put a pvc sleeve over it with a crappy elbow, its ugly, a good winter project.

Posted (edited) · Report post

18 hours ago, gobigblue said:

if you can cover that gap by just dremelling the pin gap than that seems like a good choice.  dremelling is always a good choice.  i doubt that weight difference matters at all.  i never really had an issue with the oem prop, it is pretty flimsy but worked fine for me.

ive gone 100% to the kirkman minn kota c2 30 rear rod holder mount.  its such a better application being able to still also pedal. i just need to reshaft the motor because i cut the shaft too short then put a pvc sleeve over it with a crappy elbow, its ugly, a good winter project.

those stock props get beat up pretty quick just from moving them around and pulling them out of drive well side ways.

I've also be thinking bout getting the c2 30 or maybe the haswing w20 and side mounting it, did you build a mount? def dont want to lose those rear rod holders since i dont carry a crate

Edited by Striper46

41 mins ago, Striper46 said:

those stock props get beat up pretty quick just from moving them around and pulling them out of drive well side ways.

I've also be thinking bout getting the c2 30 or maybe the haswing w10 and side mounting it, did you build a mount? def dont want to lose those rear rod holders since i dont carry a crate

google tom kirkman hobie mount.  its not really a mount per se just some strategically placed pvc that jams in PERFECT and doesnt move at all once you get it setup.  you dont lose the rod holder because its still open pvc.  i run the wires right to the front hatch same spot i attach if i use the mirage drive motor.

Heres an early pic v1 of it.  Still a work in progress will be much cleaner when i re do the shaft and elbow and stuff.  But my pvc holder is fitted perfectly.  Doesnt move around at all.

20200928_153619.jpg

Edited by gobigblue

23 mins ago, gobigblue said:

google tom kirkman hobie mount.  its not really a mount per se just some strategically placed pvc that jams in PERFECT and doesnt move at all once you get it setup.  you dont lose the rod holder because its still open pvc.  i run the wires right to the front hatch same spot i attach if i use the mirage drive motor.

Heres an early pic v1 of it.  Still a work in progress will be much cleaner when i re do the shaft and elbow and stuff.  But my pvc holder is fitted perfectly.  Doesnt move around at all.

20200928_153619.jpg

very cool!! may have to look into that, would love to have the pedal still in play without some big mount. how does yours track with it on the side like that?

Edited by Striper46

19 mins ago, Striper46 said:

very cool!! may have to look into that, would love to have the pedal still in play without some big mount. how does yours track with it on the side like that?

tracks perfect once you get the motor locked in.  occasionally ill feel like i have the rudder at 11:00 or 1:00 to go straight but all i do is reach down and turn the motor a bit.  with the motor on full and pedaling i can get real close to 5mph.  i like it so much im thinking about selling my mirage drive setup and going brushless.  the hardest part of the side mount was building the pwm box.  i definitely recommend getting a beeping multimeter if you dont already have one.  The orange box is the pwm controller box i keep it up front attach it to the battery and the motor.  the pwm controller wire  has 2 male ends on each side with all those freaking tiny wires and connects in to my controller box and the orange box female ends.  Hoping if i did go brushless i dont need to re do any wiring because theyre tiny and annoying.

20200928_160453.jpg

20200928_160538.jpg

Edited by gobigblue

17 hours ago, gobigblue said:

tracks perfect once you get the motor locked in.  occasionally ill feel like i have the rudder at 11:00 or 1:00 to go straight but all i do is reach down and turn the motor a bit.  with the motor on full and pedaling i can get real close to 5mph.  i like it so much im thinking about selling my mirage drive setup and going brushless.  the hardest part of the side mount was building the pwm box.  i definitely recommend getting a beeping multimeter if you dont already have one.  The orange box is the pwm controller box i keep it up front attach it to the battery and the motor.  the pwm controller wire  has 2 male ends on each side with all those freaking tiny wires and connects in to my controller box and the orange box female ends.  Hoping if i did go brushless i dont need to re do any wiring because theyre tiny and annoying.

20200928_160453.jpg

20200928_160538.jpg

how long of a shaft do you need for that set up?

17 hours ago, gobigblue said:

20200928_160453.jpg

20200928_160538.jpg

Something to consider if you do have to start over, this is exactly what you have already but better quality and it’s already waterproof. People get them for around $125/130 after making an offer

3AE1B0C7-0B68-4CEC-AA65-5B6211F8D859.png

25 mins ago, Striper46 said:

how long of a shaft do you need for that set up?

the MK c2 30 comes with a 30" shaft which is too long, perfect length is about 20" if youre using the same kind of pvc rod holder.  i cut the shaft a few years ago to use in the mirage drive which as you can see left it way to short to re use in the rod holder.   i sleeved it with ghetto pvc one day to add a few inches and see how it would work.  it works fine as is but my ocd kicked in so ill be re doing it with a nice oem shaft at some point. 

Edited by gobigblue

10 mins ago, Striper46 said:

Something to consider if you do have to start over, this is exactly what you have already but better quality and it’s already waterproof. People get them for around $125/130 after making an offer

3AE1B0C7-0B68-4CEC-AA65-5B6211F8D859.png

ive seen those, cant justify the cost though.  nearly everytime i read about people killing the cheap pwms its some kind of user error.  i've never had an issue with any cheap pwm and ive used them all between 2 different yaks and 2 different motors salt and fresh, etc.  i really have no idea what ppl are doing to short them out. it is a much cleaner install then what i have, maybe if/when mine ever dies on me ill upgrade, until then im going full redneck send with my current config.

then again most of the guys on the fb pages are using $200 walmart lifetime yaks rated to 200# with lead acid batteries sitting behind the seat with the pwm velcroed to the side of the battery, alligator clips for connectors and a 55# thrust motor and 3 liter pepsi bottle pontoons.

Edited by gobigblue

13 mins ago, gobigblue said:

ive seen those, cant justify the cost though.  nearly everytime i read about people killing the cheap pwms its some kind of user error.  i've never had an issue with any cheap pwm and ive used them all between 2 different yaks and 2 different motors salt and fresh, etc.  i really have no idea what ppl are doing to short them out. 

then again most of the guys on the fb pages are using $200 walmart lifetime yaks rated to 200# with lead acid batteries sitting behind the seat with the pwm velcroed to the side of the battery, alligator clips for connectors and a 55# thrust motor and 3 liter pepsi bottle pontoons.

i see your build, you can't be that far from that price with all those boxes, mounts, switches, connectors, wire glands, wires, and pwm. plus a you'll have a tiny controller. :p

Edited by Striper46

14 mins ago, gobigblue said:

the MK c2 30 comes with a 30" shaft which is too long, perfect length is about 20" if youre using the same kind of pvc rod holder.  i cut the shaft a few years ago to use in the mirage drive which as you can see left it way to short to re use in the rod holder.   i sleeved it with ghetto pvc one day to add a few inches and see how it would work.  it works fine as is but my ocd kicked in so ill be re doing it with a nice oem shaft at some point. 

cool thanks! I have a watersnake with 24" shaft sitting around so maybe I'll give it a go