Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Sept 27 - Oct. 3

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

The fish blog was created as a communal gathering place to share and report weekly fishing activity. The sharing benefits those who greatly use this RI forum and our local waters.

The premise is to gather all weekly reports into one common portal unit, making it easy to access, view and add your own reports.  

This is the third year with this kind of approach. Last year was great participation. 

Post your success or skunks.   Either way, black or white, zero to hero,  let us all know if the bite is good or is it not worth fishing at all.

Fresh, factual information is the best Intel source we have today at our disposal. 

Finally some relieve from the wind and high surf. Signs of fall along the South County Beaches. More action east to west along the beaches, compared to north to south along the Narragansett shore line. Lots of bait balls along the sand. No signs of hard tails, but the bass bite is great, if you are there at the right times.

Had a fun day yesterday with the family. They came down to visit us for the first time since we moved into this new spot. We were outside on the deck and saw fish busting left and right. Decided to take them for a paddle out into the salt pond around 4:30 PM and we were right in the middle of a nice bass blitz. Lasted about 45 minutes! Lots of bait swimming around. I was able to land a couple of shorties from the kayak. Really cool experience for them to see that.

Fished from the dock today at around 6:00 PM for an hour with the nephews. No luck but they had a blast fishing. Still a good amount of bait around.

Went out front of a popular beach in my kayak yesterday looking for tog

Most were uncooperative, only got one keeper and he managed to flop hard enough to get back into the water before I could get the stringer on him, managed a limit of nice seabass, tons of porgies etc around also 

Didn't seem like any of the boats near me were catching nearly as much as me ( infact it looked like most of them were sucking wind, I overheard two of them complaining about how terrible the fishing was )

Blitzes of mostly schoolies came and went all day, long, boats chasing them left and right, but I never bothered to pull my anchor and chase them,

Caught a handful when the bait ball decided my kayak was good shelter and they blitzed all around me 

Also happened to see a few funny fish zip under me durring it  

Good to see they're around still 

IMG_20200926_132339.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Went out for black sea bass yesterday.  Fishing was slow, but I did manage to get into some albies in the early afternoon on my way home.  Good to see they are still around.  

Edited by paulsoncall

Spotted these along the SoCo shoreline yesterday morning.  First thought was that the house up the hill had decorated for Halloween, until I noticed there were way too many and in too tough to reach spots, for them to be decorations. 

Curious if anyone can shed any light on the spinners of these webs?

PS - had a few light strikes on topwater lures but no bass caught.

webs1.jpg

webs.jpg

22 mins ago, JoeC said:

Spotted these along the SoCo shoreline yesterday morning.  First thought was that the house up the hill had decorated for Halloween, until I noticed there were way too many and in too tough to reach spots, for them to be decorations. 

webs1.jpg

webs.jpg

Big effin spiders!

We searched like hell yesterday to find albies but no luck. Got into a decent bottom bite with no ice. Had to turn the cooler into a make shift live well. Always Opposite day.

They're back..... Lots of albies around most of the day today. Not many boats out.

Boaters may have gotten scared from the fog and high surf.

They were cooperative, 15 footballs, 6 chub mackerel, a load of schoolies bass near dawn.

A little bit of rain. The seas calmed down later in the morning and afternoon.

Didn't have to run far to find the fish.

Wish I could report the same.

Kayak didn't leave the roof rack, to rough for me, maybe if I saw anything close to an albie. From shore coast to coast, no fish for me or anyone else I saw. Birds in pack mode didn't flinch at anything just kept flying. Ponds looked quiet as well.

Days like this for me is when  I read about how great it was, go ahead light it up.

Hope for next vacation day, keep an eye on them captain.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Near Slam from shore yesterday... Buddy got a spanish Mac as well.  Started in Westerly all the way to Gansett could not find any blitz action  It can only get better from here cuz the bass and blue was the combined size of the albie. 

Edited by Odizza

23 hours ago, JoeC said:

webs1.jpg

webs.jpg

Yellow Garden spider or some other Orb weaver.

11 mins ago, beerdoh said:

Yellow Garden spider or some other Orb weaver.

They were all gone this morning (2 days later), although I saw same webs in a rock pile closeby.  Will look them up, thank you. 

Fished a even numbered beach on an island for five hours on Sunday; 1 schoolie striper. Hit it again Monday after the rain, but no luck. Tried the fluke rig, but they seem to have moved off by now.

Did a not-very-serious spot-hopping recon visit yesterday. Started at a popular western beach just after daybreak; nothing going on and slightly mungy surf.

On to a nearby outlet. Also nothing, but slightly less mung.

Continued east to another outlet. As soon as we could see the water, (which was cleaner) spotted the unmistakable splash/slash of Uncle Albert, but he was 200+ yards from the sand. It continued off and on for about 20 minutes, way out. Interestingly, the sharpies on the rocks paid no heed, though in their defense the fish were well out of their range too. Hung around for an hour+ hoping they might show within range, but no love.

Continued east to another pile of rocks. It was now past 10am, so didn't expect much in the way of funniness and wasn't let down. Folks I chatted with said there'd been "decent" action around dawn but was sporadic as heck now. Cast blind for an hour, nothing. But saw a couple of tight groups of boats/birds well offshore. Looked darn funny to me.

So, not a good catching day but the conclusion, combined with other reports above, seems indisputable: Albert is still in the building.