Clowsher

Shimano Stradic 5000 FK -- Bail seized (won't flip open)

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have a Shimano Stradic 5000FK. I took apart the bail to clean corrosion and when I put the bail back on, the bail will no longer close.

When I removed the bail, I removed two screws, one on each side. When I tighten the screw on the side where the line roller bearing is, it clamps shut the area and seizes it so it cannot flip open. I feel like I may have misplaced a part that prevents the screw from pressing the two contact areas together, but my workplace is clean and I was very slow and methodical...

I did not lose the spring or the little plastic cap that goes on it.

Any tips?

Thank you!

Edited by Clowsher

5 mins ago, ZAFisher said:

Did you have a schematic at hand and did you re-assemble per the drawing?

Yes.

I also have a Shimano Stradic 4000FK reel on a different rod and I did a comparison. I re-assembled the (broken) 5000FK exactly the same way as my (working) 4000FK is set up.

If I back off on the screw tightness a bit, the bail works perfectly, but due to the screw being backed off, every time the bail opens/closes, the rotating pressure keeps backing the screw off until there is a big gap and the screw just becomes loose...

Posted (edited) · Report post

Sometimes Shimano will put very small shims on the bail arm screws. Adding the shim let’s the screw be tightened without causing it to bind. The shims are a little bit smaller than the screw head.

I see them a lot on the Saragosa reels. 

They are little washers not really shims.

Edited by handi2
Test

2 mins ago, handi2 said:

Sometimes Shimano will put very small shims on the bail arm screws. Adding the shim let’s the screw be tightened without causing it to bind. The shims are a little bit smaller than the screw head.

I see them a lot on the Saragosa reels. 

Yep. There is one verrrryyy small gold colored shim and I put it back in just how I found it, as how the 4000FK reel has it laying.  But the bail is jammed nonetheless...