Shake-n-Bake

Launching From Cashman Park

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I've never launched from here before.  Now that I live in the area I plan to.  Can anyone tell me what the ride in and out of the mouth of the Merrimac is like? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

The mouth can be deadly especially with wind against tide, always watch conditions and heed alerts. Also currents can be fierce at cashmans, watchout launching and retrieving.

Edited by ChuckieP

From that ramp, you have about a 10-12+ minute ride under the bridge to the end of the no wake zone out by the icebreaker. From there to the next no wake zone over by the toothpick at salisbury point is a quick ride. The next no wake zone is about a 5-6+ minute ride through until you can open up again to the mouth. Mouth can be and usually is crazy with both with the current and people. Boats ranging from 10'-70' move through and some even drifting and anchored in the channel. Once you get out of the mouth entrance, it is open ocean and predicable to match whatever is forecasted. 

Ramp fee $10, an attendant usually there, if not pay in the drop box. Can get an annual pass for $100 too. Plenty of trailer parking but does fill up and the issue is the amount of people coming and going from a 2 lane boat ramp at certain times of the day. You can expect to wait the longest during the peak of a nice day for those coming and going (9-3). During different stages of the tide they will enforce an in and an out side with an assistant to help marshal the traffic and order. Still, cannot speed up some of these folks that have never figured out how a boat trailer works to launch and load a boat. Last trip there waited and extra 1/2 hour for one guy to get his boat loaded. 

Good luck. 

2 hours ago, ChuckieP said:

The mouth can be deadly especially with wind against tide, always watch conditions and heed alerts. Also currents can be fierce at cashmans, watchout launching and retrieving.

Thanks for the info.  I'm in a small CC so I always keep an eye on the conditions.  Sounds like Woods Hole only wider.

2 hours ago, NHAngler said:

From that ramp, you have about a 10-12+ minute ride under the bridge to the end of the no wake zone out by the icebreaker. From there to the next no wake zone over by the toothpick at salisbury point is a quick ride. The next no wake zone is about a 5-6+ minute ride through until you can open up again to the mouth. Mouth can be and usually is crazy with both with the current and people. Boats ranging from 10'-70' move through and some even drifting and anchored in the channel. Once you get out of the mouth entrance, it is open ocean and predicable to match whatever is forecasted. 

Ramp fee $10, an attendant usually there, if not pay in the drop box. Can get an annual pass for $100 too. Plenty of trailer parking but does fill up and the issue is the amount of people coming and going from a 2 lane boat ramp at certain times of the day. You can expect to wait the longest during the peak of a nice day for those coming and going (9-3). During different stages of the tide they will enforce an in and an out side with an assistant to help marshal the traffic and order. Still, cannot speed up some of these folks that have never figured out how a boat trailer works to launch and load a boat. Last trip there waited and extra 1/2 hour for one guy to get his boat loaded. 

Good luck. 

I have been down to the ramp to check it out and to learn the lay of the land.  I saw that there's another ramp to the left of the fishing pier, no docks though.  Is that useable at all?

Thanks for all the very useful info!  I'm looking forward to exploring the area.

I tend to launch very early both for the morning blitz's and to avoid the chit show that comes with the morning rush.

On 9/27/2020 at 3:04 PM, Shake-n-Bake said:

Thanks for the info.  I'm in a small CC so I always keep an eye on the conditions.  Sounds like Woods Hole only wider.

Depending on the size of your boat, I would watch the tide change and the east wind to determine if you are going in/out.

593749d02e022.image.jpg

On 9/28/2020 at 5:23 PM, Wildcard said:

Depending on the size of your boat, I would watch the tide change and the east wind to determine if you are going in/out.

593749d02e022.image.jpg

I've been hearing that a lot.  The outgoing tide with an east wind can be treacherous.  Thanks!