Pescador710

Fish finder that checks all the boxes

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

As I mentioned in another thread my garmin striker 4 crapped out after two seasons. If I was more on top of preventing corrosion maybe I could double its life span which would make the garmin very good value for the $$.

But before I buy another garmin I wanted to know if there were any other options that check the following boxes.

-under $250

- gps tracking/waypoints

- speedometer

- decent sonar

Edited by Pescador710

I see a Hummingbird Helix5 G2 on Amazon for under $200. I have one, it does those things you want, but you need a SD card to store waypoints, that card slot would be needed if you wanted Navionics.

49 mins ago, ermghoti said:

I see a Hummingbird Helix5 G2 on Amazon for under $200. I have one, it does those things you want, but you need a SD card to store waypoints, that card slot would be needed if you wanted Navionics.

Thanks! My quick 5 min search found prices closer to $250+ but I will consider it.

what are the connections like? 4 prong push-in? Some sort of screw in?

Posted (edited) · Report post

The head unit has a couple of push-ins for the transducer and power cables, the battery cable has a screw-in break point.

OOPS

I rechecked, the unit I priced did not have GPS.

Edited by ermghoti

I'd say try and find some old stock vertical Hook4, but Lowrance has made such a sh*show of their model naming that it's impossible to search for it. I'd have to study for days to figure out what Hook2-4 models have what.