Birdsnester

Shocking Discovery, Vintage Gear Rocks

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

Sorry for your loss but it looks like he was right there with you helping you with the build.  I can imagine that he was thrilled at your success and your thrill of casting it.  He will be with you with every future cast and I’ll bet you catch more and bigger fish with it ....... ya can’t miss with him helping you.

3 hours ago, Birdsnester said:

After my Dad passed I decided to obtain Vintage Gear and to use it on a regular basis.  Don't get me wrong, I am a new gear junkie who won't bat an eye spending $500 and up for a quality rod or reel.  But, to honor my Dad I decided that I wanted to use some of the types of gear that we used when I was a kid.  Being an avid caster and someone who really enjoys launching baits as far as I can, I had to accept the fact that my new hobby will undoubtedly cause great pain to me emotionally, in lost yards in my cast.  

So, I found an old Squidder, a couple actually on eBay and a couple here on SOL.  I purchased them, and as I examined them, I thought...  These could be better.  I liked them but saw the need for change.  So, I found a company that made CNC machined one piece cages for the Squidder and thought that this would be a great way to Sturdy It Up a bit...  So I bought a couple of Tiburon Frames.  Absolutely Love Them.  They are a perfect fit and are super strong, and they come with a fantastic rod clamp with a hook holder.  Very well thought out.

As I was reviewing my really cool Squidder, I got to thinking that the metal spool was way too heavy and would most probably spin out of control and cause unwanted Birsdsnests.  So I thought, hmmm....  I wonder if I can find an aluminum spool to lighten it up.  Wouldn't you know, I found one, two actually...  What a difference.  Much lighter...

Then I got to thinking again...  Wouldn't it be cool to mag it?  Yes it would I said and just like that, I bought a mono mag kit and installed it.  I really did not like the torpedo knob, it just didn't feel right in my hand, so again I thought...  Wouldn't it be nice to have a better more ergonomic handle.  Yes it would, so I purchased one.  

Now I have a super cool FrankenSquidder.  LOVE IT.

I started thinking again and thought, wow how great would it be to put this Squidder on a vintage rod, like maybe and old Honey Lami....  YES that would be super cool.  So i set out to find one.  Again on eBay, I found an old beat up Lami 11'6" one piece from a local chap who sold it to me pretty cheap.  I tore it down, lightly sanded it nice and smooth and began my work on this rod.  I used time tested BNOG guides, did a black underwrap and used Orange E thread and doubled it for strength.  I decided on no reel seat, LOL I am not sure that I could find one that would fit anyways.  It's a FAT rod to begin with so I just used Cork Tape and decided that a Plate seat from Fuji would suffice.  Not exactly old school there I suppose but I liked it better than taping on the reel direct to the rod.

Great, I am done!  I have a vintage rod paired with a FrankenVintageSquidder Reel.  I set out for a day of fishing with my two heavers.  One is a Tsunami Trophy II 12' paired with a Daiwa Seagate.  Not super high tech or super expensive but a nice heaver.  The Tsunami is rated 6 to 10 and I have no idea what the Lami is rated.  So I put an 8 oz sinker on the line  just to see how the Lami might handle it and it looked as if it would be just fine.

I was now rigged up and ready to fish.  I took my Tsunami and seagate and let it launch first....  Nice cast, probably in the area of 120 yards.  If I hit it harder I most likely would have lost my bait.  The faster action of the Tsunami is pretty rough on soft baits.

Next up was my newly build Honey Lami 11'6".  Up to this point I am not too familiar surf casting fiberglass rods but I knew that it would be a softer more parabolic feel than what I've gotten used to.  First cast did not go so well.  I quickly realized that I needed to cast slower in the beginning  and load the rod quicker than with the graphite rods.  So, the next cast I did just that.

Wowzers!  My second cast went just as far as with my Tsunami with the seagate!!!.  I was shocked...  And what I really like is that the bait seemed to be less stressed than with the Tsunami.  The softer rod is like a bait keeper for soft baits.

Long story Long,  I just wanted to share my experience with my new vintage gear and how I was amazed at the quality and performance from a reel that was built in the 60's paired with a rod that was probably from the same vintage.  Pretty Cool IMOHO...

4042DF6D-2EA8-4864-8574-C458CCA17253.jpeg

44316A5E-E173-4B75-9BC6-B85D4CBAD40F.jpeg

03387D93-98D7-4655-B543-FDFEA576B9E2.jpeg

FC924D11-149F-4602-B047-83A3753AAA0C.jpeg

man this is great.

I love the way you got her together,looks like a solid winner to me.

I never casted one but,yours,i would love to.

don't you EVER get rid of her,she is a gem you won't come across any day.

HH

Posted (edited) · Report post

For your next project seek out a Newell Conversion Kit and build another Squidder. I'm fond of the 145 size, ideal beach reel.

Edited by XBMX

7 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Sorry for your loss

Thank you so much for that.  Dude this hit me like a ton of bricks.  Man this is hard.  He died in April so it’s still new to me.  Thanks you!

6 hours ago, rhahn427 said:

Sorry for your loss but it looks like he was right there with you helping you with the build.  I can imagine that he was thrilled at your success and your thrill of casting it.  He will be with you with every future cast and I’ll bet you catch more and bigger fish with it ....... ya can’t miss with him helping you.

This made me cry.  So I caught nothing all day and now I come home, read this and cry.  Great!  LoL man this is tough stuff.   Thanks very much for your compassionate comments.  I really appreciate it.

6 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

man this is great.

I love the way you got her together,looks like a solid winner to me.

I never casted one but,yours,i would love to.

don't you EVER get rid of her,she is a gem you won't come across any day.

HH

HH, always a gentleman.   Thanks bud!!!  I appreciate your comments always!!!

I wasn’t trying to make you cry ......... I just thought it was great that you built a memorial to him.   I am building rods for my son and grandkids that I hope will become a heirloom after I’m gone.  

34 mins ago, rhahn427 said:

I wasn’t trying to make you cry ......... I just thought it was great that you built a memorial to him.   I am building rods for my son and grandkids that I hope will become a heirloom after I’m gone.  

It’s totally ok.  Pretty awesome that you are building rods for them.  Very very cool!!!

What a great story.  I lost my mom five years ago, and it still hurts, but take a loss like that and find inspiration in it?  Great stuff.  The build looks fantastic.  Hats off to you buddy, and thank you for sharing.  

17 hours ago, XBMX said:

For your next project seek out a Newell Conversion Kit and build another Squidder. I'm fond of the 145 size, ideal beach reel.

The 145’s are a little harder to find and I agree with you in this.  I could get 145 size Newell bars and use 140 side plates.  Then I’d have to find a 145 spool though.  I would definitely prefer 145 size.  With 60 lb braid on the 146 that I have I run out of line quickly.