Justinj

Real opinions on the tsunami salt x reels

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

How are they holding up for you? I’m considering purchasing one. I’m a lefty and own a Van staal 250L but want another reel and it’s damn near impossible to find one and if you do they are double the price of what they were. From what I’ve read they can’t take the abuse of a Van staal but seem claim to be splash sproof and dunk proof. 

also does anyone service these reels? Or they must be sent back to tsunami. 

thanks

Everyone I know who’s purchased one has had it fail on them. I haven’t personally fished one but the ones I’ve handled didn’t impress me honestly.

I’ve used mine for two weeks in Florida. The reel ate sand and was dunked plenty of times and when the day was over it got a good freshwater washing. Back home it’s gotten wet and so far it’s been working great. No problems at all.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I’m a lefty aswell and bought a salt x 6000.. i can’t speak on its reliability because I stopped using it after my 3rd outing and dished out the funds for a lefty VS. The saltx isn’t a true lefty reel and I wanted a bailless setup. Running bailless on the saltx just wasn’t working for me because the rotor is set up for a righty. If you plan on keeping the bail than what I’m saying here is pointless.

Edited by natejeep

a few of my buddies have had salt x 6ks fail on some snook, kinda disappointing but I. guess if you're using lighter line for surf fishing they should hold up

I had both of my 250L’s **** the bed on me spring/early summer this year relatively close apart. I needed a reel in a pinch mid July and bought a 6000 just planning to use it for a month until I got my VS’s back. I’ve read a lot of horror stories about the Salt-X so I may have just gotten a gem out of the production line. 

I fish mine generally 5-6 nights a week and the reel takes a swim with me 99% of the time. Never had a issue with it so far, we’ll see how it holds up but for now it has been my go to.

I loved mine for about a month, and then after a heavy trip in the surf it was grinding bad. Not sure how or why but it felt like sand was everywhere inside. Sent it back to manufacturer in NJ and they replaced it with a new one that has been perfect. Not sure if it was assembly issue but the new reel has been great and def seen some abuse already. Hoping it holds up 

In the other thread about the Salt x someone posted pics after a few months of hardcore fishing. Both reels had sand and saltwater inside them. I'd say you get what you pay for. If you're going to splash them they're fine, but they're not going to hold-up to a dunkin'. If you plan on submerging your reel pay-up and buy a VS or ZB.

i have been using my 6000 without any issues to date , have submerged it dropped it on rocks so far so good . i rinse off after every outing and its ready to go . no issues