bob_G

Swift River Belchertown

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

A buddy of mine told me his son drove to the Swift in Belchertown for some fly fishing.  He said his son counted 37 cars parked on RT 9. Said the fishermen were standing shoulder to shoulder in the best sections.   A few waiting in the woods, hoping someone would quit so they could grab their space.  Said it reminded him of the canal minus the rage.

Is this true? Is it really this crowded?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Been like that for years now. All out of state plates.  Half the time people aren't even fishing. Just talking on the phone and taking selfies.  And don't even think about showing up with a spinning rod south of route 9. Ill stick to where all those rivers end up.  

Edited by Corpslave

36 mins ago, bob_G said:

A buddy of mine told me his son drove to the Swift in Belchertown for some fly fishing.  He said his son counted 37 cars parked on RT 9. Said the fishermen were standing shoulder to shoulder in the best sections.   A few waiting in the woods, hoping someone would quit so they could grab their space.  Said it reminded him of the canal minus the rage.

Is this true? Is it really this crowded?

7 mins ago, Corpslave said:

Been like that for years now. All out of state plates.  Half the time people aren't even fishing. Just talking on the phone and taking selfies.  And don't even think about showing up with a spinning rod south of route 9. Ill stick to where all those rivers end up.  

Yah. There’s a reason why some of my buddies call it the fresh water cape canal

Been more crowded then ever with Covid and other rivers too warm and low. Fish south of route 9 with spinning tackle and the fly fishermen treat you like a poacher. See this often and can’t understand it especially with young anglers new to the sport. I do enjoy watching these guys right out of an orvis catalog play there truck bows for way too long and then have them out of the water forever taking their glory shots. Soon these same guys who disdain the use of spinning tackle will be wading through the brook trout redds. I only fish this river at night now mostly with bass bugs or big streamers in summer for the big browns. 

Before us RI residents were banned from the great state of Massachusetts, I made a trip up there pulled into the lot above 9 walked in saw the scene and left.  Went to another river further north had the place to myself, less pressure and a couple nice browns.  It's crazy how people are unwilling to fish places where there's not a step by step guide on how to catch fish.  

15 mins ago, ne_dan said:

Before us RI residents were banned from the great state of Massachusetts, I made a trip up there pulled into the lot above 9 walked in saw the scene and left.  Went to another river further north had the place to myself, less pressure and a couple nice browns.  It's crazy how people are unwilling to fish places where there's not a step by step guide on how to catch fish.  

Or people not willing to walk more than a few steps from their car.  The Swift is nice if you like sight fishing, which can be good, but not nice if you are going for that solitude type experience.  I generally don't like to fish it even though it is closer than my preferred rivers more west.  Though, my experience out west is the same, lots more pressure and pickier fish.

I haven’t fished the Swift in over twenty years but remember it not necessarily being easy fishing. Yes you could see the fish (cool yet frustrating) but they knew the orvis catalog better than orvis did. Its the only place I’ve ever had to turn to 8 and 9x tippet.

I do remember fishing the y pool when I was twelve, surrounded by more experienced anglers all trying to match the hatch. I moved a bit downstream, tied on a micky finn streamer (matches nothing) and caught three all within sight of the old guys. I was so proud when a few of them came up to me later to ask what I was using.

I loved dry fly fishing the very upper part where it comes out of the tubes. When they were at low flow I used to catch frogs and feed them to the fish that lived in the tubes. Great fun as a kid.

Posted (edited) · Report post

That spot is called The Petting Zoo. 

There's a fly shop over in South Deerfield called Deerfield Fly Shop. It's just off of Route 91, easy to get to. The proprietor there is a guide and can show you the Western Massachusetts local spots, the nice places.

A friend's son hired the guide and he put him onto fish. That's how I know about his guiding.

I've never hired him, only shopped at the store.

There's also a book about Western Massachusetts fly fishing spots that's quite accurate. 

Edited by TroutGhost

6 hours ago, TroutGhost said:

That spot is called The Petting Zoo. 

There's a fly shop over in South Deerfield called Deerfield Fly Shop. It's just off of Route 91, easy to get to. The proprietor there is a guide and can show you the Western Massachusetts local spots, the nice places.

A friend's son hired the guide and he put him onto fish. That's how I know about his guiding.

I've never hired him, only shopped at the store.

There's also a book about Western Massachusetts fly fishing spots that's quite accurate. 

I've heard about that shop in Deerfield.  Charlie Moore featured him on his show. I guess my question is, if the guy is guiding and showing everyone all these places, why doesn't that area get invaded like the Swift?

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

I've heard about that shop in Deerfield.  Charlie Moore featured him on his show. I guess my question is, if the guy is guiding and showing everyone all these places, why doesn't that area get invaded like the Swift?

Some of the sections I've fished of the Deerfield are difficult to get to and the damn releases complicate wade fishing.  There's some sections where you're scrambling down a steep hill and then the you have to eventually get back up.  Nothing like walking in off rt 9, with the staircase and shallow banks.

I haven't followed the stocking dates, but I wonder if the Swift was recently stocked.  That usually brings in a crowd.  The only time I fish there is during the winter.  Even then your not alone.

The only time I fish the Swift, (it's less than 2 mi. from here) is when a few of my buds and myself take a float trip from Rt. 9 to the Bondsville dam...........

7 hours ago, bob_G said:

Because the Swift is right off the Mass Pike and easy to get to from multiple locations.  There are plenty of great spots in the western half of MA, but the ones that are easy to get to are overfished.  Drive a little further, walk and bushwack a little further and you will find spots very few people know about and fish.  

22 hours ago, ne_dan said:

Went to another river further north had the place to myself, less pressure and a couple nice browns.   

That's enough out of you.  The Swift is the only river in the area worth fishing. 

1 hour ago, clambellies said:

I haven't followed the stocking dates, but I wonder if the Swift was recently stocked.  That usually brings in a crowd.  The only time I fish there is during the winter.  Even then your not alone.

it could be 15 degrees outside and there will still be 5 dudes fishing the pipe.