bob_G

Sunfish

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

The sunfish appear to have begun their fall migration to wherever it is they go.  Saw a large fin flip flopping it's way through the canal on a west tide on Thursday.  Last night while fishing around 11, had an enormous mola erupt and thrash the surface for several seconds not 50' in front of me.  Really enjoy seeing them.

We used to scratch their backs when they would swim up to the boat to check us out while we were drifting for sharks. They love getting their back scratched with a deck brush.

End of July I was on a 10 day sea kayaking trip down east in Maine. Saw these guys a couple times, it was always going around the big points when I was already a little on edge, and seeing the fin would spook me out until I realized what they were. I'm just glad it was never another type of fin.

6 hours ago, MakoMike said:

We used to scratch their backs when they would swim up to the boat to check us out while we were drifting for sharks. They love getting their back scratched with a deck brush.

Now that's funny....... :D

About 4 days ago, "7 News at 6" had a 30 second news clip of a "shark" finning off an outer Cape beach.  The news clip also featured and interviewed the novice who took the video.  IT WAS A BIG ROUND, FLOPY MOLA FIN-- clear as day.  Another amazing example of fake news.

Last week, there was a mola fin slopping around the daybreak surfers at LeCount's Hollow.  Neither the (knowledgeable) surfers, nor the mola could care less about their mutual presence.

I walked my dog this morning around 8am, and  I saw one today in the canal 50 feet from the bulkhead thrashing around right by the rocks. 

23 hours ago, Gotcow? said:

Now that's funny....... :D

yeah, they are very curious creatures. They would swim right up to the boat and stick their eye out of the water and give us a look. Once one of us gave them a touch of the deck brush it was somewhat difficult to get them to go away.